TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Retired RF Engineer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why the popular General Hospital soap doesn't have commercial skip, yet other soaps do?

· Registered
991 Posts
SM is hit or miss from day to day.
THAT'S the understatement of the year! I'm "amazed" at just HOW really inconsistent SM is...within the past year, here are just a sample of shows, where I've seen SM appear on a very occasional basis:
Inside Edition
Judge Judy
Hot Bench
Rock the Park

There's others, but you get the point...I just don't understand where if SM suddenly appears out of the blue, & continues to do so even occasionally, why CAN'T it be all the time? While these shows in my examples are syndicated, some at least have MUCH higher ratings than a lot of the cable or network shows, that DO get SM!

· Registered
12,632 Posts
My experience with SM is extremely consistent. I know which shows have it and which don’t. When I don’t get it on a show, I reboot and it shows up. I’d imagine some shows are less consistent.

I would imagine the reason it is missing sometimes on some shows is that it involves people doing the skip and with any resource, you have to prioritize. It isn’t automated.

· Registered
411 Posts
They should have SM for all 4 soaps. They're pretty popular.

Reactions: k2ue

2,372 Posts
THAT'S the understatement of the year! I'm "amazed" at just HOW really inconsistent SM is...within the past year, here are just a sample of shows, where I've seen SM appear on a very occasional basis:
Inside Edition
Judge Judy
Hot Bench
Rock the Park

There's others, but you get the point...I just don't understand where if SM suddenly appears out of the blue, & continues to do so even occasionally, why CAN'T it be all the time? While these shows in my examples are syndicated, some at least have MUCH higher ratings than a lot of the cable or network shows, that DO get SM!
But when it works WOW!!!

· TDL shepherd
17,903 Posts
Inside Edition
Judge Judy
Hot Bench
Rock the Park
I'd likely be on-board with allowing a Raspberry Pi on my network that could inspect my shows and upload a subset of data to a tracking site, to create a way to asses specific SkipMode issues and overall performance.

· Super Moderator
55,680 Posts
TiVo said that they were testing a new system where they used a show's popularity to determine if it was worthy of skip, rather then just network/time slot. This has created really inconsistent results. Occasionally a show will have it for just 1-2 episodes and then it'll be gone. I wish they could hire enough people to do it for most/all shows.

· Registered
27,658 Posts
TiVo said that they were testing a new system where they used a show's popularity to determine if it was worthy of skip, rather then just network/time slot. This has created really inconsistent results. Occasionally a show will have it for just 1-2 episodes and then it'll be gone. I wish they could hire enough people to do it for most/all shows.
Or, given fiscal likelihoods, figure out how the others in the marketplace are going to do human-less autoskip and implement that, either wholesale or as a second tier of skip for the non-primetime, etc. shows.

· Super Moderator
55,680 Posts
Or, given fiscal likelihoods, figure out how the others in the marketplace are going to do human-less autoskip and implement that, either wholesale or as a second tier of skip for the non-primetime, etc. shows.
We have an automated commercial detection feature in VideoReDo. It's much more complicated than you'd think. There are all sorts of tricks you can use to try and detect the commercials, but none are 100%. Some stations have a hard transition from show to commercial, others just fade like it's a different scene in the show. Some have little channel bugs in the corner when the show is on, but not the commercials, others don't. There is no 100% reliable way to detect commercials automatically. So some sort of human verification will always be required unless the channels start to cooperate and provide some sort of signal. (unlikely)

· Registered
27,658 Posts
We have an automated commercial detection feature in VideoReDo. It's much more complicated than you'd think. There are all sorts of tricks you can use to try and detect the commercials, but none are 100%. Some stations have a hard transition from show to commercial, others just fade like it's a different scene in the show. Some have little channel bugs in the corner when the show is on, but not the commercials, others don't. There is no 100% reliable way to detect commercials automatically. So some sort of human verification will always be required unless the channels start to cooperate and provide some sort of signal. (unlikely)
That's why I was thinking a 2-tier approach: the human approach for primetime, etc. (i.e., the "big" shows), and VideoReDo ;) for everything else being broadcast.

· Registered
612 Posts
Tablo is rolling out a similar feature although it won't be free, takes longer to be published and requires you to upload data to their servers. They have also bypassed several shows (more to come I'm sure) that it is doesn't work on at all. From Tablo regarding their people free commercial skip...

Over the coming months, we will work to improve the feature with the goal of providing 80-90% skip accuracy on recordings with good signal quality.

I had commercial skip with WMC and found it unreliable enough that it was frustrating at best. You were always on alert as to if you skipped over content (not that unrare) and if you had it was a pain to recover. For me I rather have 100% or nothing...

· Super Moderator
55,680 Posts
That's why I was thinking a 2-tier approach: the human approach for primetime, etc. (i.e., the "big" shows), and VideoReDo ;) for everything else being broadcast.
The problem is that it varies from station to station. That's why in v6 we're adding a ad-detection profile system so you can have different settings for recordings from different channels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.