TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
I have 2 Edges; one for two years now and one for a year. The hardware (made by Arris) has been rock solid on both (and on two minis as well). The software, by TIVO has and continues to be VERY annoying.
1) sorting saved shows in Season order when I want them in Date order (a well known problem still unsolved)
2) Tivo records shows I've never set to record. (Diane says that is a "feature" not a problem.)
3) Tivo sets up One Passes that I've never requested. I have to "clean things up" a couple of times a week.
4) Tivo deletes shows I have saved, repeatedly. Happens dozens of times a week. I'm running about 30% to 40% of my 2 TB. I watch for this and "undelete" them constantly.
5) Many recorded shows (maybe 1/3 of them) show a "bookmark" as if they have been partially or wholly watched when they have not yet been watched.

My wife and I are the only people in the house and she relies on me to operate the DVR for our mutual watching; there is no one else in the house.

Other than that, everything is fine. I'll go now and check whether anything was spuriously recorded or deleted last night.

Rich
I've only had my Edge for about 9 months, but the only issue @Rich113 described that I've experienced is 1), the sorting of saved shows in Season order, which I presume TiVo also considers as a feature rather than a bug. I don't like either, but at least it's easy to remedy simply by pressing the blue B button on the remote to change the sort to Date order.

On 2): Do you have TiVo Suggestions turned off? And are you sure that WishList Auto-Record is turned off? Either of those "features" can be disabled in settings.
On 4): Is it possible that these shows getting deleted are from a One Pass that has a limit on how many episodes to keep (the "Keep at most" setting)?
On 5): It may be that if one of the tuners is already set to the channel before a scheduled show is recorded, the TiVo acts as if it was being watched and sets the bookmark. Not that it should behave that way, but maybe that's what it's doing?

Registered
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your interest in helping.
1) Season order: I do push the blue button to date order but the following day they are all back in Season order.
2) Tivo Suggestions are turned off. Where can I find WishList Auto-Record? I don't recall seeing this in settings.
4) These shows are deleted at random, whether it is above or well below the "Keep at most" setting.
5) I'm not quite sure of what you are describing. If one of the six tuners it tuned to the channel in question, and the One Pass starts to record this show, wouldn't it set the "bookmark" at the end of the show, if such a fault were as you described? Not somewhere in the middle? Are you describing something different from what I'm envisioning?
Rich
1) Yeah, I know, but at least the workaround is easy.
2) See the section "Managing your WishList searches" at WishList. Apparently TiVo now defaults to having Auto-Record turned on any time you create a WishList, which sucks.
4) I haven't experienced that, so no idea why it might be happening.
5) I think you are correctly understanding what I described. Not that it makes sense for the TiVo to behave that way.

Or your TiVo is haunted, which it could be if it ever recorded the movie Poltergeist. 馃懟

Registered
"Or your TiVo is haunted, which it could be if it ever recorded the movie Poltergeist. 馃懟 "

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if a neighbor is somehow getting to my TIVO and doing the recording, deleting and watching some shows... but I don't see how that could be possible, even if they were to break into my router.

Rich
If someone hacked your TiVo.com account credentials, they could remotely access your DVR through the TiVo app via the internet without having direct access to your home network. (Could be done from anywhere in the world, not just by a neighbor.)

Not that it's likely to have happened, but it's technically feasible. Changing the account password to a longer/more complex one would make it even less likely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts