TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
I have 2 Edges; one for two years now and one for a year. The hardware (made by Arris) has been rock solid on both (and on two minis as well). The software, by TIVO has and continues to be VERY annoying.
1) sorting saved shows in Season order when I want them in Date order (a well known problem still unsolved)
2) Tivo records shows I've never set to record. (Diane says that is a "feature" not a problem.)
3) Tivo sets up One Passes that I've never requested. I have to "clean things up" a couple of times a week.
4) Tivo deletes shows I have saved, repeatedly. Happens dozens of times a week. I'm running about 30% to 40% of my 2 TB. I watch for this and "undelete" them constantly.
5) Many recorded shows (maybe 1/3 of them) show a "bookmark" as if they have been partially or wholly watched when they have not yet been watched.

My wife and I are the only people in the house and she relies on me to operate the DVR for our mutual watching; there is no one else in the house.

Other than that, everything is fine. I'll go now and check whether anything was spuriously recorded or deleted last night.

Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your interest in helping.
1) Season order: I do push the blue button to date order but the following day they are all back in Season order.
2) Tivo Suggestions are turned off. Where can I find WishList Auto-Record? I don't recall seeing this in settings.
4) These shows are deleted at random, whether it is above or well below the "Keep at most" setting.
5) I'm not quite sure of what you are describing. If one of the six tuners it tuned to the channel in question, and the One Pass starts to record this show, wouldn't it set the "bookmark" at the end of the show, if such a fault were as you described? Not somewhere in the middle? Are you describing something different from what I'm envisioning?
Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
"Or your TiVo is haunted, which it could be if it ever recorded the movie Poltergeist. 👻 "

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if a neighbor is somehow getting to my TIVO and doing the recording, deleting and watching some shows... but I don't see how that could be possible, even if they were to break into my router.

Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
"Changing the account password to a longer/more complex one would make it even less likely."

Sounds like a plan, Stan!
Can't hurt, just might help. Even though, as you say, it is highly improbable that someone would want to bother to do that.

Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
I have 2 Edges; one for two years now and one for a year. The hardware (made by Arris) has been rock solid on both (and on two minis as well). The software, by TIVO has and continues to be VERY annoying.
1) sorting saved shows in Season order when I want them in Date order (a well known problem still unsolved)
2) Tivo records shows I've never set to record. (Diane says that is a "feature" not a problem.)
3) Tivo sets up One Passes that I've never requested. I have to "clean things up" a couple of times a week.
4) Tivo deletes shows I have saved, repeatedly. Happens dozens of times a week. I'm running about 30% to 40% of my 2 TB. I watch for this and "undelete" them constantly.
5) Many recorded shows (maybe 1/3 of them) show a "bookmark" as if they have been partially or wholly watched when they have not yet been watched.

My wife and I are the only people in the house and she relies on me to operate the DVR for our mutual watching; there is no one else in the house.

Other than that, everything is fine. I'll go now and check whether anything was spuriously recorded or deleted last night.

Rich
New data about my FALSE recordings and my FALSE deletions.
In the past couple of weeks I began to notice that when I DO select something to delete (last week's football recordings, for example), if I check "recently deleted" several other recordings have been deleted as well. I have to "undelete" these one by one.
Today, as I was setting things to record for tomorrow (Thanksgiving) I noticed that when I set one program to record, the program immediately below on the Program Guide was clicked to record (one was even set to "Season Pass". This happened three times in a row. I think I noticed this behavior in recent weeks as well, but didn't pay particular attention to it.

I have no idea what could be causing this behavior... sometimes but not always.

Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
New data about my FALSE recordings and my FALSE deletions.
In the past couple of weeks I began to notice that when I DO select something to delete (last week's football recordings, for example), if I check "recently deleted" several other recordings have been deleted as well. I have to "undelete" these one by one.
Today, as I was setting things to record for tomorrow (Thanksgiving) I noticed that when I set one program to record, the program immediately below on the Program Guide was clicked to record (one was even set to "Season Pass". This happened three times in a row. I think I noticed this behavior in recent weeks as well, but didn't pay particular attention to it.

I have no idea what could be causing this behavior... sometimes but not always.

Rich
Still struggling with the issue of unwanted deletions.
Can someone comment on the difference between "Recording will be kept until space is needed " (blue dot) and "Recording will be kept until you delete it" (green dot). Would one of these be more likely than the other to stop spurious unwanted deletions? I'll repeat again that neither of my Edge units are ever over 40% full (football season) and usually under 30% full.
I generally really like my Edge units except for the 7 deadly sins I cited in the original post.
After I delete anything I'll check and find what else it decided to delete, and restore it. Most mornings I'll check to see "what has it done wrong last night".

Rich

· Registered
39 Posts
I had a hunch and decided to test the "percent filled" shown on my primary Edge. It is currently showing 31% full.
I did a rough count of the shows using 1 hour for most shows and 1/2 hour for others. I came up with 296 hours of Recordings! The Tivo specs show that the 2TB hard drive can hold approximately 300 hours of HD TV.
Why is it showing 31% full when by these calculations it should be nearly 100% full?
Anybody else spot a big difference between the percentage shown vs what is actually there?
This might explain why it is deleting shows on me.

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts