TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
363 Posts
A few thoughts on the 'haunted' TiVo:
1) Season order: I've seen that issue; I think the setting is per folder (and not a 'global' setting that is for all folders), so you'd need to change that in every folder (and every new folder you create - ugh).

2) WishList auto-record: Whenever I make a new wish list, I intentionally add an extra letter at the end (so it doesn't find any shows to record), then turn off auto-record, and then fix the string. (Yea, there should have been an option at the "WishList Created" screen to not set auto-record (but it might have been too late to set then).)

3) & 4): Do you have anything like TiVo Streams or TiVo Minis in other rooms, and do you have kids visiting occasionally that might play in that room (that might just be pushing buttons on a remote and not even have the TV on)? For 4), have you checked the TiVo History for the deleted shows to see when the shows were deleted (which might help track down what was happening at that time? (Pressing the Info button will show that information.)

One other thing to consider - later TiVos (like Bolts and EDGEs) use RF (and not just infrared) for the remotes. Maybe a neighbor also has a TiVo, and is having the same issues you have (when you use your remote). I know that the IR remotes use a "Remote Address" (0 (which 'any' TiVo will respond to), or address 1-9 (which only a TiVo set to that address will respond to), but I don't know much about TiVo RF remote pairing to know if it also just uses the 0-9 codes, or if it is more like Bluetooth pairing (where each remote has a unique ID). Since the System Info screen only shows "Remote Address" (and doesn't seem to include a line that indicates a 'paired' remote ID), I'm guessing it just uses the 0-9 codes.

If the RF is like the IR (with only the 0-9 codes), you should change your Remote Address to something other than 0 (and probably avoid 1 and 2, which might be the first choice of your neighbor). But you will still be out of luck if the neighbor's remote is set to 0, because 'all' TiVos will respond to that address (unless you can find the neighbor with the TiVo and get them to pick an address other than 0). Or, you could stop your Two from responding to RF (I thought there was a setting for that, but somehow I can't seem to find it right now).

Hope some of these thoughts help!

Edit: Sorry - forgot to add this link (on TiVo's website) for setting up remotes (but hmm, how do avoid also affecting your neighbor's TiVo!):
TV Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions

· Registered
363 Posts
Bolt cooling issues:
I found that the fans in the Bolts I have are inadequate (and they tend to fail, which leads to overheated TiVos).

For my Bolt cooling, I make use of large plastic lids (the ones that are like ~4" in diameter). I put one under the left side ('open' side up), and another under the right side (also 'open' side up), and I put a 3" quiet rubberized USB fan on the half of the lid that sticks out to the right, blowing downward. If I recall, it dropped the temperature (indicated on the "System Info" screen) about 10C. (Since my Bolts are white, the white lids don't stand out too much :) .) I used to get those fans for ~$10 at Fry's Electronics (but (sob) not anymore).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts