TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Jon1 said:
I discovered in order for my PC to to appear on TiVo, I have to disable my ZoneAlarm firewall program. I don't like to do that its disappointing that I can only do one or the other!
set it to allow connection from the Tivo. Thats what I had to do on my Norton firewall. And if you use Galleon and not the Tivo software, you have to allow that as well.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
Jon1 said:
I discovered in order for my PC to to appear on TiVo, I have to disable my ZoneAlarm firewall program. I don't like to do that, so it's disappointing that I can only do one or the other!
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2161.htm
If you have a software-based firewall such as Black Ice, Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm, or McAfee Personal Firewall installed on your PC, it may be necessary to adjust your settings to allow TiVo Desktop to see the programs stored on your TiVo DVRs. The following ports must be open to allow your PC to communicate with your DVR:

* TCP Port 2190
* UDP Port 2190
* TCP Ports 8080-8089

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a G router and G pci card through out the house. I have tried to locate a G adapter but no one can ever figure out what the version number is. So i thought i would go with a B and you can find them for 35.00 with feee shipping. So if i understand you can record a show onto your PC hard drive? From there you can burn it to the DVD player. I also understand that you can move shows from your hard drive back up to your Tivo? This is all done through what program? I don't want to buy a dvd recorder and have to watch the show while its burning.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
If I understand your questions correctly you want basic info on Tivo-to-go.

YES you can move shows from your Tivo to your PC using Tivo Desktop software.

YES you can take your PC media files, convert them to a format Tivo understands using a number of free programs available on the web, and move them back to your Tivo.

YES you can burn your Tivo files from your PC to a DVD using Nero or Sonic's MyDVD

Not sure about your last comment, but you don't watch the show while its burning to DVD. Burning a DVD is a long process that you can set up then let the computer do it while you do other things.

·
Still Learning
524 Posts
jkalnin said:
I am downloading mostly Divx or Xvid encoded avi files from Bit Torrent sites. The software I use to convert these files is fantastic and free:
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/TiVo/

They quickly convert the avi files to mpeg2, and Tivo plays them perfectly.
Cool....i just installed this one.

Now if i can just figure out Bittorrent....but is that a question that i can ask here???

If not, i wont.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I currently have about 10 DVD movies stored on my TiVo. I find it much easier to watch to put them on my TiVo where I don't have to deal with the dvd menus and stupid features. Plus, its easy for my family members to watch a dvd movie from the TiVo and not have to worry about putting the cd in and changing the TV input, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
rainwater said:
I currently have about 10 DVD movies stored on my TiVo. I find it much easier to watch to put them on my TiVo where I don't have to deal with the dvd menus and stupid features. Plus, its easy for my family members to watch a dvd movie from the TiVo and not have to worry about putting the cd in and changing the TV input, etc.
Sounds good, but the drawback is all the memory you have to use...especially if you have a wife like mine who has to TiVo several soaps every day..... :(

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
My TivoBack folder currently has about 120 movies in it.

I just delete the movie on the Tivo after watching it.

Although these are all were movies recorded by Tivo rather than ripped, I could use this mechanism for my DVDs. It would be much nicer to have all the DVDs on the server, because it is a pain trying to find the correct DVD. But it would also be a pain to rip them all to my server, so I haven't done that (yet).

If Tivo transfer rates get faster, or Tivo ability to play Mpeg4 comes along, or hard drive costs suddenly nosedive, I will probably get motivated enough to do it.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
Jon1 said:
120 movies! Where do you find all that space? My TiVo unit only holds 40 hours!
They're on his PC. I use the same method, I have two TiVos with movies and regular shows(a 40hr Series2.5 and an upgraded 300+hr Series2). I also have several computers running on the network sharing a combined 500GBs total. I'm shooting for a terabyte by early '06 :). And I totally agree with Justin, if it were just a little more advanced (faster/mpeg4/etc.), I'd use it all the more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My PC only has a capacity of 80GB so I guess it won't hold too many, although I have no idea how may GBs the average movie is. How long does it take to transfer a movie from your PC back to TiVo, anyway?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Short answer: If you are primarily interested in doing a lot of DVD-burning, TTG is not the solution for you. A standalone DVD-recorder (with TiVo, but even without it) will be easier and faster.

TTG is great for all the other purposes mentioned in the thread, and for occasional DVD burning.

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
Jon1 said:
My PC only has a capacity of 80GB so I guess it won't hold too many, although I have no idea how may GBs the average movie is. How long does it take to transfer a movie from your PC back to TiVo, anyway?
A 300GB drive you can get at Outpost.com when they are on special for $79. That will store from 80 to 120 films, depending on if they had commercials in them, depending on their content. Here is an idea: For Best Recordings stored at higher resolutions than typical Tivos, I get the following:

What's Up Doc 2.1GB
Jingle all the Way 3.8GB
Yours Mine and ours 2.9GB
Pretty Woman 4.1GB

If I was using Cable not Satellite, storage would probably be about 20% less.

As you can see, it varies widely. What's up Doc was without commercial interuption, while Pretty Woman had frequent commerical breaks. You can use VideoRedo to chop out the commercials- takes about 10 minutes, but if you are like me, you will do a few dozen then get lazy and just use FF. Generally I am seeing high 2 gigs to mid 3GB. If you used lower settings. like Tivo High, you will see lbeter storage numbers.

As for transfer time- it is real time. You start the movie playing- I usually go and get the popcorn or my juice then come back and FF past the credits or commercials. It is always fast enough that it is ahead when I get to the commercials so I can FF past them. If I wanted to Jump ahead to some middle part of the movie, I can't do that until it has transfered that much. Since that is not my or my wife's dominant mode, we don't care much about that limitation. But it would be nice if the transfer was much much faster and usage would be more fluid.

·
I'm back!
35,036 Posts
Jon1 said:
Ballpark is about a gig an hour for either question.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
Yes, it did to me. I have been using SA DVD recorder with my SA TiVo, DishPVR and now with R10 and R15. Works great except for SA TiVo, but even with SA TiVo quality is quite acceptable. Never figured why would anybody want to use TTG compare to DVD recorder that you can get now days for under $100. Your time to transfer show is about the same or faster and after you got it on DVD (that cost you under 50 cents now days) you can do whatever you want with it. If your recorder is +RW you can even edit out commercials right on DVD recorder or if you want to do fancier editing you can do it right on disk with something like Ullead software. Or just transfer whole thing to PC if you like. Watch it on big screen or laptop from DVD, dump it to any other device, whatever. One of my TiVos is series 1 and video transfer method not allowed to be discussed on this board was available for years, but I never bothered with it - it is so easy and convenient to just record to SA that alternative didn't make any sense to me. On my series 2 I never activated network or HMO feature because for a life of me I can't figure out why would I want to listen to the music on my TV or what is wrong to have all of my photos on DVD and use DVD player to watch them on TV if I wanted to do that.

·
Registered
984 Posts
samo said:
Yes, it did to me. I have been using SA DVD recorder with my SA TiVo, DishPVR and now with R10 and R15. Works great except for SA TiVo, but even with SA TiVo quality is quite acceptable. Never figured why would anybody want to use TTG compare to DVD recorder that you can get now days for under $100. Your time to transfer show is about the same or faster and after you got it on DVD (that cost you under 50 cents now days) you can do whatever you want with it. If your recorder is +RW you can even edit out commercials right on DVD recorder or if you want to do fancier editing you can do it right on disk with something like Ullead software. Or just transfer whole thing to PC if you like. Watch it on big screen or laptop from DVD, dump it to any other device, whatever. One of my TiVos is series 1 and video transfer method not allowed to be discussed on this board was available for years, but I never bothered with it - it is so easy and convenient to just record to SA that alternative didn't make any sense to me. On my series 2 I never activated network or HMO feature because for a life of me I can't figure out why would I want to listen to the music on my TV or what is wrong to have all of my photos on DVD and use DVD player to watch them on TV if I wanted to do that.
But now that you have read all this thread have you have realized that TTG is in fact more than simply DVD recording and that many people consider that to be the least important feature available to it. If all you could do was DVD record then maybe people wouldn't use TTG.

Also don't forget there ar no DVD recorders less than $100 that allow you to edit the source before burning the disk.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.