TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
nhaigh said:
TTG is good for archiving any new Fox series so it can be watched in the summer only if the series doesn't get cancelled.
It will only get cancelled if it is funny, creative, and original. Using this logic Stacked will be around forever. I will also miss AD. Fox = Idiots

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
nhaigh said:
If everything was shown in the US I'd agree.
Well since I don't speak any other languages I guess that doesn't matter to me. Except for the British stuff I suppose...but reruns of Benny Hill are widely available in the States :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
It works pretty good for the 'to go' part, especially if you move the shows onto a portable player and lets face it is a lot cheaper than the $1.99 or whatever Apple charges to transfer each and every show they sell onto a portable device.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,013 Posts
Jon1 said:
Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
Better PQ with TivoToGo. With a DVD burner hooked to a Tivo you're adding a whole extra D -> A -> D -> re-encode to MPEG2 step that degrades PQ (like making a copy of a copy).

TivoToGo lets you skip that extra D -> A -> D -> re-encode ...

DVD burner hooked to Tivo:
(Source) A -> D -> MPEG2 Encode -> MPEG2 Decode -> D -> A -> (DVD Recorder) -> D -> MPEG2 Encode -> Burned DVD

TivoToGo to PC and burn:
(Source) A -> D -> MPEG2 Encode -> Digital Transfer -> Transcode if required -> Burned DVD

As noted above ... there are other benefits of TivoToGo.

·
Go Pats
46,477 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
There are TONS of reasons why you would want your Tivo on broadband and not dial up

• No phone line needed
  • new download content (movies, cnet, rocketboom)
  • All the new stuff like yahoo photos, weather, traffic, etc
  • TTG of course
  • Podcasts now

·
Registered
984 Posts
Jon1 said:
Well since I don't speak any other languages I guess that doesn't matter to me. Except for the British stuff I suppose...but reruns of Benny Hill are widely available in the States :p
Yes, mostly British. You won't however find Benny Hill on British TV, not since the 70's. I do vaguely remember it from my childhood though. I've always been amused that people think that Benny Hill typifies British humour. I don't know anyone British that finds it funny.

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Jon1 said:
Well, I guess I can see your point. If you don't want to save the overflow from your tivo when it fills, and you don't mind not being able to use your tivo during the transfer to dvd, and you never want to push video back to your tivo, and you don't mind not being able to edit your video before you make a dvd out of it, I guess it may be wiser for you just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to your tivo.

It's not the way I would do it, but each to his own, eh?
:D

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Jon1 said:
Hmm, I just got back from Lunch where I watched a "Lost" and "The Office" Christmas Party episode on my smartphone. Since it is my day to cover for others that are out and anyone that would contact them is out as well - having the shows to watch at lunch was great. I used wired adapters that cost 25$ and if you scout around the HME/TTG forum here you will find many creative ways to use the files you get off the TiVo and you saw above the creative way to move shows onto the TiVo.

welcome to the very begining of the end of scheduled cable network shows. Watching shows when and where you want seems to be a bit of a theme around here :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
nhaigh said:
Yes, mostly British. You won't however find Benny Hill on British TV, not since the 70's. I do vaguely remember it from my childhood though. I've always been amused that people think that Benny Hill typifies British humour. I don't know anyone British that finds it funny.
Well, I never thought Monte Python was funny...just plain dumb. IMHO the funniest show in the world is Curb Your Enthusiasm!

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Jon1 said:
I have tons of old family video on VHS and 8mm camcorder tapes sitting in a box...can I somehow send them to TiVo to then send to my PC to burn to DVD?
if you wnat them on DVD and no burner in the TiVo it will be a better picture and far easier to just buy a mid grade TV card for thye PC and record them straight to the PC.

you can hook up to the composite inputs on the TiVo and then go to a channel on the TiVo (2 or AUX) or something, I can not completely recall and then setup a manaul recording and then play the tape. Trouble is you can not name the recording and you have only the settings on the TiVo for quality vs a TV in card that has many multiple settings. Also you then have the Transfer time to the PC. Too many extra steps. Play around with the settings on the PC card and then you end up with a file on your PC that TiVoToGo can use to copy the show to your TiVo to watch on the TV.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Jon1 said:
Well, I never thought Monte Python was funny...just plain dumb. IMHO the funniest show in the world is Curb Your Enthusiasm!
Monte Python is OK in parts but I guess the real difference is what people thought was funny 20 or 30 years ago is not what we find funny today.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
nhaigh said:
Monte Python is OK in parts but I guess the real difference is what people thought was funny 20 or 30 years ago is not what we find funny today.
There is some validity to that (look at Laugh-In/My Mother The Car/Mr.Ed/ now and see if you laugh) BUT--I think W.C. Fields or the Marx Brothers are just as hilarious today as they were in 1940.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Jon1 said:
There is some validity to that (look at Laugh-In/My Mother The Car/Mr.Ed/ now and see if you laugh) BUT--I think W.C. Fields or the Marx Brothers are just as hilarious today as they were in 1940.
I started recording the Addams Family for my kids and they have been going around the house with their hair over their face and glasses on and talking like Cousin It. I call for my boy and he comes in with "You Rang" in lurch deep bass rumble.

that old black and white show is still killing in peooria :D

·
formerly TiVoOpsMgr
2,482 Posts
MikeMar said:
There are TONS of reasons why you would want your Tivo on broadband and not dial up

• No phone line needed
  • new download content (movies, cnet, rocketboom)
  • All the new stuff like yahoo photos, weather, traffic, etc
  • TTG of course
  • Podcasts now
And in addition to those great reasons for wanting to network your DVR, don't forget about Multi-Room Viewing (previously mentioned in the thread), Music, Photos, and faster response time to your online recording requests from TiVo Central Online.

Personally, I love listening to my MP3s or showing off family photos in the living room.

·
Registered
235 Posts
nhaigh said:
Benny Hill is hilarious, a true God of comedy. Slapping a bald man's head has never been done with so much panache before or since.

And while we're at it - Dick Emery, Tommy Cooper, Cannon and Ball, Morecombe and Wise, Little and Large, the Two Ronnies - every one of them a comedic genius.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
RocketMan said:
:confused: How do you go from PC back to Tivo? I don't think TTG does this. What codecs will work/won't work on Tivo?
You need to follow the rules here to create a file that tivo can use.
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv251080.htm?

Go back to the first page of this thread and download the software that I listed to convert Divx and Xvid (and other formats) files to Tivo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
MikeMar said:
Besides the encoding your own stuff. If you TTG a show to your pc, if you go into tivo -> now playing, at the very bottom you will see your computer listed, You just go in there and grab the shows.
I discovered in order for my PC to to appear on TiVo, I have to disable my ZoneAlarm firewall program. I don't like to do that, so it's disappointing that I can only do one or the other!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.