TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jkalnin said:
You are forgetting about the reverse as well. I download TV shows and movies, convert them to Tivo, and transfer them to my Tivo to watch them on my big tv instead of my PC.
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't it easier to to just record the movies and TV shows on TiVo to begin with?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
nhaigh said:
If everything was shown in the US I'd agree.
Well since I don't speak any other languages I guess that doesn't matter to me. Except for the British stuff I suppose...but reruns of Benny Hill are widely available in the States :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have tons of old family video on VHS and 8mm camcorder tapes sitting in a box...can I somehow send them to TiVo to then send to my PC to burn to DVD?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
nhaigh said:
Yes, mostly British. You won't however find Benny Hill on British TV, not since the 70's. I do vaguely remember it from my childhood though. I've always been amused that people think that Benny Hill typifies British humour. I don't know anyone British that finds it funny.
Well, I never thought Monte Python was funny...just plain dumb. IMHO the funniest show in the world is Curb Your Enthusiasm!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
nhaigh said:
Monte Python is OK in parts but I guess the real difference is what people thought was funny 20 or 30 years ago is not what we find funny today.
There is some validity to that (look at Laugh-In/My Mother The Car/Mr.Ed/ now and see if you laugh) BUT--I think W.C. Fields or the Marx Brothers are just as hilarious today as they were in 1940.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
MikeMar said:
Besides the encoding your own stuff. If you TTG a show to your pc, if you go into tivo -> now playing, at the very bottom you will see your computer listed, You just go in there and grab the shows.
I discovered in order for my PC to to appear on TiVo, I have to disable my ZoneAlarm firewall program. I don't like to do that, so it's disappointing that I can only do one or the other!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
rainwater said:
I currently have about 10 DVD movies stored on my TiVo. I find it much easier to watch to put them on my TiVo where I don't have to deal with the dvd menus and stupid features. Plus, its easy for my family members to watch a dvd movie from the TiVo and not have to worry about putting the cd in and changing the TV input, etc.
Sounds good, but the drawback is all the memory you have to use...especially if you have a wife like mine who has to TiVo several soaps every day..... :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My PC only has a capacity of 80GB so I guess it won't hold too many, although I have no idea how may GBs the average movie is. How long does it take to transfer a movie from your PC back to TiVo, anyway?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Justin Thyme said:
A 300GB drive you can get at Outpost.com when they are on special for $79. .
I think I will get one. Are hard drives difficult to install? I have installed sound cards before and it's easy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
MickeS said:
It's harder than a soundcard, but not at all difficult. :)

Follow the interactive instructions in the Weaknees Interactive guide linked to in the upgrade section of this forum, and you should be fine. They are very detailed and easy to follow (I just upgraded mine for the second time). It's basically these steps:

- take out the drive(s) from your TiVo
- burn a boot CD with upgrade software
- turn off your pc, open it up and disconnect the current computer drive(s)
- connect the old TiVo drive(s) + the new TiVo drive(s) to the PC
- put in the boot CD, start the PC, type one command line, wait
- turn off the PC, put the new TiVo drives back in the TiVo

It is a piece of cake. :)
I hope you are kidding :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
MickeS said:
- take out the drive(s) from your TiVo
- burn a boot CD with upgrade software
- turn off your pc, open it up and disconnect the current computer drive(s)
- connect the old TiVo drive(s) + the new TiVo drive(s) to the PC
- put in the boot CD, start the PC, type one command line, wait
- turn off the PC, put the new TiVo drives back in the TiVo

It is a piece of cake. :)
Can't you just simply add more hard drive to the PC and just transfer the TiVo recordings to the PC?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Justin Thyme said:
Yeah- USB is the interface to nearly all external drives for PCs.

This allows you to quickly switch the drive to another (ahem) server. ;) A 300GB drive allows you to store many more shows than the number of dvds with the same storage capacity, because there is no wasted space per disk as you have with the Dvds. No hassles with bad burns, very fast copy.
I am contemplating buying an external hard drive for this purpose. When I connect it, can it be set up to be dedicated to JUST TiVo files? I wouldn want to have other files and/or programs on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
According to what I have read, in order to connect an external hard drive you need USB 2.0. My PC says I have Hi-Speed USB ports. Is this essentially the same thing as 2.0? Will the external hard drive work in my Hi Speed USB ports?

1 - 17 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.