TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
My wireless-b adapter was only $25, and I found a copy of Sonic for something around freeish.

You are forgetting about the reverse as well. I download TV shows and movies, convert them to Tivo, and transfer them to my Tivo to watch them on my big tv instead of my PC. This saves me on the time and cost of burning DVDs. Lastly, I use Tivo-to-go to free up space on my 40 hr tivo and store them on my 160 gig pc harddrive.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
jstr said:
What software do you use for the conversion to TiVo, and what format are the files you are downloading?
I am downloading mostly Divx or Xvid encoded avi files from Bit Torrent sites. The software I use to convert these files is fantastic and free:
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/TiVo/

They quickly convert the avi files to mpeg2, and Tivo plays them perfectly.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
nhaigh said:
TTG is good for archiving any new Fox series so it can be watched in the summer only if the series doesn't get cancelled.
It will only get cancelled if it is funny, creative, and original. Using this logic Stacked will be around forever. I will also miss AD. Fox = Idiots

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
RocketMan said:
:confused: How do you go from PC back to Tivo? I don't think TTG does this. What codecs will work/won't work on Tivo?
You need to follow the rules here to create a file that tivo can use.
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv251080.htm?

Go back to the first page of this thread and download the software that I listed to convert Divx and Xvid (and other formats) files to Tivo.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
If I understand your questions correctly you want basic info on Tivo-to-go.

YES you can move shows from your Tivo to your PC using Tivo Desktop software.

YES you can take your PC media files, convert them to a format Tivo understands using a number of free programs available on the web, and move them back to your Tivo.

YES you can burn your Tivo files from your PC to a DVD using Nero or Sonic's MyDVD

Not sure about your last comment, but you don't watch the show while its burning to DVD. Burning a DVD is a long process that you can set up then let the computer do it while you do other things.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Aren't the HD Kits from weaknees already formated and ready to install?

Do your TiVo Upgrades come with the latest software?
Generally, all replacement kit upgrades come with the latest software. In cases in which a newer software version has been released, your TiVo will download the latest version as soon as they are dialed in for the first time.
I guess you are describing the way to do it using a regular store bought harddrive. I'd spend the few extra bucks and buy the easy to install kit.

Can I save money by buying blank computer hard drives from a store and putting them in my TiVo?
All of our upgrade kits come with hard drives that have been specially prepared for use in your TiVo. With a preformatted drive upgrade kit, you simply follow our instructions and install the drive--no PC is necessary. If you are looking to save a few dollars and are willing to invest the time, then you can purchase standard EIDE hard drives and prepare them yourself. If you have a PC, if you have basic Linux knowledge (not a must, but helpful) and if you have a rudimentary understanding of your PC's insides (eg. you know what an IDE cable is, you know what "primary" and "slave" means and you know what a "jumper" is), then you should be able to perform the drive preparation on your own.
***Quotes all from weaknees FAQ section

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.