TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
My wireless-b adapter was only $25, and I found a copy of Sonic for something around freeish.

You are forgetting about the reverse as well. I download TV shows and movies, convert them to Tivo, and transfer them to my Tivo to watch them on my big tv instead of my PC. This saves me on the time and cost of burning DVDs. Lastly, I use Tivo-to-go to free up space on my 40 hr tivo and store them on my 160 gig pc harddrive.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD.
For us the main reason wasto be able to move programs from one DVR tothe other -- MRV.

Michael

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The only thing Iuse it for is clearing out my Tivo when it starts to get full. I simply move it from the 80gb Tivo onto my 200 gig PC, and then when I want to watch the shows, I transfer them back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
First of all, some people use TivoToGo to move programs onto their laptops; they can then watch their chosen programs on their laptop screen even when they're miles away from their TiVo.

Secondly, hooking up to the home network enables you to do your daily connection via Internet and it engages all of the new online features (weather, podcasts, games).

Third, Nero works just fine for burning DVDs, with a little extra care and watering.

Fourth, as was mentioned, shop around; wireless adapters can and should be had for less than $60.

Finally, and I just figured this out, BACKUPS. Suddenly your Tivo isn't limited to 40/80 hours, but you can buy as much hard drive capacity as you want for your PC and archive TiVo recordings there for later....

·
Beware of Conky!
2,574 Posts
Jon1 said:
I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. ... Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...
If I use a dvd recorder to get shows off my tivo no one else can use the tivo during the transfer. (you actually have to play the show on the tivo to record to a dvd recorder)

Using tivo2go, I can download a show and watch something else on the tivo at the same time.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
jstr said:
What software do you use for the conversion to TiVo, and what format are the files you are downloading?
I am downloading mostly Divx or Xvid encoded avi files from Bit Torrent sites. The software I use to convert these files is fantastic and free:
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/TiVo/

They quickly convert the avi files to mpeg2, and Tivo plays them perfectly.

·
Go Pats
46,477 Posts
I have a 300 gig hard drive JUST for TTG'ed shows! I have 160 simpsons epsidoes, all family guy eps, all The Office, current seasons of arrested, nip/tuck, and a few more.

This way I can reverse TTG back whenever I want, and w/ orb.com I can watch these shows anywhere, including at work.

So with TTG I turned my 40 hour tivo into like a 300+ hour tivo :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
TTG is good for archiving any new Fox series so it can be watched in the summer only if the series doesn't get cancelled.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
MikeMar said:
I have a 300 gig hard drive JUST for TTG'ed shows! I have 160 simpsons epsidoes, all family guy eps, all The Office, current seasons of arrested, nip/tuck, and a few more.

This way I can reverse TTG back whenever I want, and w/ orb.com I can watch these shows anywhere, including at work.

So with TTG I turned my 40 hour tivo into like a 300+ hour tivo :)
Yeah thats what I use my 200gig for. Nothing but Tivo stuff. Why modify the Tivo, when a PC works just as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jkalnin said:
You are forgetting about the reverse as well. I download TV shows and movies, convert them to Tivo, and transfer them to my Tivo to watch them on my big tv instead of my PC.
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't it easier to to just record the movies and TV shows on TiVo to begin with?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Jon1 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't it easier to to just record the movies and TV shows on TiVo to begin with?
If everything was shown in the US I'd agree. Despite that there are times when you miss a show.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.