TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,517 Posts
The 4X FF is essential on my SA8300HD, because (1) it doesn't bookmark where you are in a recording if you leave it, and (2) it doesn't have 'skip-to-tick'. Combine the two, and it becomes extremely painful to have to FF your way back to where you were, when you leave a recording in the middle. So the 4X-FF helps (somewhat) to make up for these shortcomings. BTW, this assumes you can even remember where you were when you come back to continue watching a recording at a later time.

The way the TiVo remembers where you are when you leave a recording (how could any software engineer not program this feature :confused: ), combined with skip-to-tick, makes a 4X-FF unneeded. I have both types of DVR, and use 4X all the time on the SA8300HD, and have never missed it on a TiVo.

lessd said:
as most of us use the 30 second skip.
I don't know if that's true. I don't use it. But i'm not most of us. :)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,517 Posts
AbMagFab said:
Because the 3xFF on the Tivo is faster than the 4xFF of the SA. You don't need 4xFF just for the sake of having 4.
Not on my SA8300HD. I would guesstimate that 4X is going about ... oh hell, why guess. Gimme a minute and I'll go time it.

Ok, I'm baaaaack...
One hour show on SA8300HD takes 26 seconds on 4X.
Same show on S3 on 3X takes 62 seconds.
Using skip-to-tick takes .8 seconds :D

Reminder that SA DVRs use different software versions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.