TiVo Community Forum banner
141 - 160 of 194 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I'll chime in. I have three OTA Roamios (each with lifetime subscriptions) in the house (bedroom, kitchen, and living room) each with a 3TB drive. I have a massive antenna on the roof, which I put up myself when the broadcasters switched from analog to digital (how many years ago now? A long, long time). Even though the stations are 45-50 miles away, the antenna pulls them in and I have a lot of OTA shows that I DVR, not just ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and WB, but others such as COZI and GRIT and others. So all of the above comes for no cost other than the initial cost of the antenna and Roamio's.
This is exactly the scenario I am in - except I am down to two Tivo's with lifetime subscriptions - a Roamio OTA and a really old TiVo HD. With 40-50 local stations coming in from the antenna on my roof, there is plenty of content to record. I'll keep using and repairing those two Tivo's as long as I am getting content guide information for them. I also agree with you on the Roku - much superior for streaming compared to the Roamio. I've got a Roku on each of my TV's, including the ones that I don't have a TiVo for anymore (I had 5 TiVo's at one time). I tend to use those rather than any app built into the TV itself as well.

· Registered
73 Posts
Tivo Community,

I have a SVR-2000 series 1 with lifetime subscription. I upgraded the hard drives and loved my Tivo for years but now it is disconnected in the basement. I am currently using IPTV service for TV, no cable/satellite/OTA.

Is my SVR-2000 good for anything? Can it be setup up as a network storage device? If so, maybe I can put all of my music on it.

Thoughts?

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Just an FYI....you know they have the Xfinity Stream app for Amazon firesticks now, right? You can watch VOD and any Xfinity channel from the firestick now as well as recordings.
Since he said "I spend my time on my Apple TV" I imagine he would be more interested in the Xfinity Stream App for AppleTV. It is far from perfect, but works well enough to have allowed me to return the cable box I had in my office and kitchen.

· Registered
10 Posts
Besides using the TIVO to record and watch current shows, we use the TIVO to record hundreds of hours of movies, etc to watch in our motorhome when we are on the road. Sort of like carrying our own library of shows along for when we cannot get decent TV reception with our satellite dish or antenna.

· Registered
471 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I will have TIVO as long as it is available! We have two Bolt units--which each are our 3rd since we have been with Tivo from the beginning--with Spectrum cable cards, in addition to also having a few cable boxes and and some Roku units. I am hoping that Austin where we live is not on the Spectrum cable card hit list.

With 9 TVs in our home using a variety of devices, we see daily how superior the TIVO interface is. One interesting thing is that we still use the CLASSIC Tivo Experience--which we prefer far more than the new one that was rolled out several years ago. It was a challenge to get it back, but we are very happy. The new one, we feel, was designed to look more like a cable box or ROKY whereas that is exactly what I don't want.

People often kid me about why we still have something as "old fashioned" as TIVO...until I share features and the precision of being able to skip ads, etc., compared to a clunky cable box or Roku. You will have to pry TIVO from my cold dead hands. ;)

· Registered
30 Posts
We were early adopters of Windows Media Center and with a network of Xbox 360's were able to provide whole home support to all of our TVs, using 3rd party software for automatic commercial skipping.

After Microsoft discontinued WMC and made it increasingly difficult to use, we purchased a TiVo Bolt+ (recently replaced by an Edge) and Minis, and use TiVo's commercial skipping feature.

When away from home, we'll record programs on our TiVo and then either stream them or download them overnight for viewing (using my smartphone's unlimited LTE/5G data plan).

And all of this works reasonably well.

This summer our Bolt+ died, and while we were waiting to get our replacement Edge, we used our Xfinity DVR for local recording and remote viewing. Comcast places restrictions on using the remote viewing. I found I needed to use a VPN to make it appear we were at home for watching some of the programs. When you download a recording, that recording is locked and can't be viewed anywhere else (or at home) until that device releases the recording. And, the Android app has problems trying to project the program to a local TV using a USB/HDMI cable or screen mirroring feature.

As to the question about why do we still use TiVo...

Since we already own the DVR and network of Minis, we only pay an annual subscription for our TiVo service, which provides support for live and recorded cable programs on all of the TVs in our house - 4 Minis supporting 10 TVs (some sharing HDMI signals). If we switched to Xfinity's service, we would have to pay an annual fee for multiple cable boxes - at $7.50 per box per month. Replacing our 4 Minis would cost us $360 per year, more than our TiVo subscription.

Based on our recent experience, TiVo is still better for streaming live and recorded TV programs compared to Xfinity - something we do 3 to 4 months of the year while traveling in our RV.

However... On our most recent trip, because there are multiple streaming options for most of the cable programs (including live sports), I found that out of the programs we were recording on our TiVo, most of them could also be streamed using an app rather than viewing from our TiVo. And most of those apps now allow you to download the programs for later viewing offline (some require you to pay for an upgraded subscription to have this feature).

And, if we're able to stream most of the programming remotely, that means we may be getting close to doing the same for our viewing at home - possibly replacing all of our Minis with a network of Google Chromecasts with Android TV (providing the same features we have on our Sony Android TVs).

TiVo had an opportunity years ago to provide something like a Chromecast. They provided early support for multiple streaming apps including search across all of the apps and TV guide/recordings - and even developed their own small footprint HDMI device. But they failed to integrate everything together - streaming apps plus a lightweight Mini for live/recorded TV. And now with the migration to streaming apps for most programming and with multiple devices supporting streaming app integration, coupled with decreasing cablecard support, it's not clear what TiVo can do long term to remain competitive...

We still prefer using our TiVo boxes vs. Xfinity's DVR - though we have shifted to using our Android TVs and Chromecasts with Android TV for doing streaming - since we get full support for various 4K and audio formats, not available with our TiVo boxes.

In a year when our subscription comes up for renewal, we'll take another look - and decide if we'll stay with TiVo for another year - or make the plunge to a combination of Xfinity plus streaming apps (or just streaming apps).

· Registered
174 Posts
My biggest reason: Tivo, by far, has the best playback controls... Fast-Forward, Rewind, and especially instant replay! Sometimes Jimmy Kimmel will start late and so Tivo will not get all of it. I'll then watch it on Hulu. So annoying to try to fast forward or rewind through the show using Hulu. The fast-forward and rewind overshoot correction on Tivo is unmatched!

Reactions: lonestarjacket

· Registered
1 Posts
I use mine now almost exclusively to record and keep old TV shows and a few movies for storage on my Plex server. I am currently using KTTMG to crack shows, but since KTTMG is no longer supported, I will continue to use TiVo until the app loses its security certificate and dies. I believe at the end of this year, unless another user saves it like they did a couple of years ago.

Without KTTMG there is little functionality that brought me to TiVo left (no thumb rating, ads - although they are currently blocked, weird nonsensical auto recordings I never watch, etc.).

Sad to say but I don't see much left in the TiVo platform, which I have had since the introduction of TiVo3, that will keep me paying. I can get much the same thing though other services.
I have had tivos since the beginning. I think it’s the best brand. Unfortunately I moved to a new gated community where they don’t use a cable system that uses a cable card. This means I can’t use any of my tivos as they are not compatible. I do use a tivo that can get ota programs. Unfortunately it can’t record the cable channels. I wish you could make the tivo compatible with non cable card systems. The DVRs they use are crap compared to tivo. I use tivo for the few ota channels, but there are are only about 8 of these channels here. Please find a way to obtain these cable channels that are spreading. If not your company will continue to lose customers. I hope your engineers can find a way to do this.

· Registered
4 Posts
So just to add my $.02: still rolling with Tivo b/c I'm still a cable subscriber. (I know, I know... but if you venn-diagramed my fam's viewing habits, there'd be maybe 3 channel overlap.) Bolt on primary, minis on the other 2 TVs. Have Rokus on all TVs, so not wasting any time with the Tivo builtin apps. I care most about effective DVR function (slowmo/skip/menu response), we don't record much, Bolt has lifetime sub, cable card rental is cheap, minis are reasonably quick on moca infrastructure, and the OG remote still feels SO NICE in hand...

Everytime I start thinking about an environment remodel, I bail b/c the non-tech fam members are comfortable w Tivo interface and my grandfathered cable package still has a palatable price. So I'll continue kicking that can as long as possible.

· Registered
75 Posts
I have been using TiVo DVRs for nearly 20 years. However, I am finding I am using my TiVos less and less. I currently have three (3) TiVo Premiere XL4 with Lifetime subscriptions, a first gen TiVo Stream and a first gen TiVo Mini. Each of the TiVo Premiere XL4s have 4TB hard drives and Comcast/Xfinity cable cards. Each TVs in the house is connected to a TiVo device instead of a Comcast/Xfinity cable box. And up until last week, all three TiVo Premiere XL4s were also connected to Slingbox 350s which were sadly 'Bricked" last week by Sling as Sling turned off their servers. Although, I subscribe to Comcast/Xfinity Cable TV and 1.2GB internet and have a X1 Comcast/Xfinity 4K DVR in the Living Room for everyday use and local channels. (OTA is not possible for me to get all local channels). I also subscribe to nearly all the streaming services, Hulu (no ad) Disney+ (no ad), Paramount+ (no ad) Peacock (no ad), Apple TV+, Netflix and Amazon Prime, Discovery+ (no ad), plus a couple more I probably forgot. I am finding that even though I may record shows on my DVRs, I may end up watching the shows on a streaming service on my Smart TV (LG OLED CX) or Apple TV 4K without commercials (no ads) or not having to hit the TiVo commercial skip button. My TiVos with cable cards have been relegated to mostly being just cable boxes. Which may end if/when Comcast/Xfinity discontinues cable cards use. If any of these TiVos die, I will probably not replace them. I also don't use my UHD Blu-Ray Player much anymore either. I find myself using the streaming services more and more. Although, I am not quite ready yet to "cut the cord", ditch cable and rely on the streaming services only and no TiVos.

mchiles
Hershey, PA

· Registered
5 Posts
I'll chime in. I have three OTA Roamios (each with lifetime subscriptions) in the house (bedroom, kitchen, and living room) each with a 3TB drive. I have a massive antenna on the roof, which I put up myself when the broadcasters switched from analog to digital (how many years ago now? A long, long time). Even though the stations are 45-50 miles away, the antenna pulls them in and I have a lot of OTA shows that I DVR, not just ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and WB, but others such as COZI and GRIT and others. So all of the above comes for no cost other than the initial cost of the antenna and Roamio's.

The'ongoing' cost is that I tend to have to replace the internal fans a time or two a year across the three machines. When they get loud, I put another one in.

So having all that entertainment, in sparkling HD, with NO LAG, and the ability to really and truly fastforward, slow mo (especially for football) rewind, etc. is just a great deal. I I have the 'old' Tivo interface on each of the Roamio's, I downgraded one that came from the factory with the new interface. But the hardware on the roamio does not really have the power to run the new interface, so I downgraded. The old interface is simply perfect for me anywy.

I fully support free OTA broadcasting, and want it to continue forever. While I know that Big Business would like to have that spectrum so they can make money, and take away something from the masses, and have total control over what can stream, and how they can stream, I am opposed to that.

Now, I do also have an inexpensive Roku attached to each of the three TV's as well. It is far superior to the Tivo apps for streaming, and I do stream as well. It was always puzzling to me why Tivo didn't just partner with Roku to basically put the Roku technology inside their Tivos for streaming. Even the least expensiv $39 Roku is great, so it seemed like they could just partner with them and do that for an extra $30 cost. But who knows, perhaps redesigning the motherboard would be too expensieve. No matter really, I simplyp have the Roku and the Tivo side by side and they both work great at what they do.

Tivo is best as a real DVR, far superior to cloud based DVRs, and Roku is best at streaming. Between the two of these devices, cut the cable cord a long long time ago, soon after the initial Roku came out and soon after the switch to OTA HD broadcasts and I got my first Tivo to go with the antenna.
I have two that were new in the box until last week, and we tried to download the stations for two days on both units, and it just will not download them no matter what I try. It says there are none in my area but I know for sure, with my outside antenna I can usually pick them up on any of my TVs.. Please if you have any instructions on how to do it, please send them back to me. I don't understand how your OTA is working in mine isn't and yet mines brand new out-of-the-box, even though it's sat there for probably almost 10 years after purchase, without even being opened. We packed them away and couldn't find them. I forgot where we put them, then finally found them when we were moving please and this will make a big difference for two elderly people. Who've been trying to live in society today on a fixed income. Thank you very much.

· Registered
3 Posts
WHY I STILL USE TIVO
WHAT I HAVE:
  • TiVo XL primary in living room - Comcast/Xfinity cable card
  • TiVo Series 2 (with DVD burner HA!) in bedroom - virtually unused these days as the news program I liked went away so now I watch my iPad instead
  • Comcast/Xfinity cable & internet
SO WHY DO I STILL HAVE IT?
  • Skip - That little green button is GOLD to me!
  • Guide - Unlike the horrific Comcast Guide, there are NO Ads and I can easily see programming hours in advance
  • Recordings - I can quickly see what I've not yet watched instead of wasting time clicking through various streaming apps. Plus I can save & rewatch easily.
  • Remote - It's fast! (And I don't even have the voice remote.)
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE (HELP!)
  • I'm expecting Comcast/Xfinity to stop serving/supplying cable cards. Then what do I do? My BFF has X1 and I'm not impressed enough to change to it.
  • Neither TiVo nor my TV has Disney+ or Hulu Apps, so I'm stuck using Chromecast to stream from iPad. I regularly encounter struggles with the Disney+ App streaming through the Chromecast to TV and don't know why. I'm tired of fighting with it and HATE not being able to use my TiVo remote for these.
  • I'm likely moving in 2023 and I'm not expecting my next Comcast/Xfinity office to have cable cards.
Knowing the above, what should my future considerations be? I haven't kept up with the current TiVo options.

· Registered
221 Posts
I watch live sports with my team's synched radio broadcast (streaming app via Bluetooth to soundbar). Typically, the Tivo is delayed a few seconds in order to perfectly synch with the radio call. So I never have to listen to the ESPN etc. talking heads.

· Registered
35 Posts
I have two that were new in the box until last week, and we tried to download the stations for two days on both units, and it just will not download them no matter what I try. It says there are none in my area but I know for sure, with my outside antenna I can usually pick them up on any of my TVs.. Please if you have any instructions on how to do it, please send them back to me. I don't understand how your OTA is working in mine isn't and yet mines brand new out-of-the-box, even though it's sat there for probably almost 10 years after purchase, without even being opened. We packed them away and couldn't find them. I forgot where we put them, then finally found them when we were moving please and this will make a big difference for two elderly people. Who've been trying to live in society today on a fixed income. Thank you very much.
I wish i could come over and see what is going on. if you can get the ota broadcast signal on the tv, then tivo should be able to tune it. obvious thingto check is for a good connection wit the coax cable going into the tivo, unplug from tv and plug in to tivo so you use the same one you know is good.

if these were never turned on for 10 years then perhaps there is no tivo service on the units and that is the issue. hard to diagnose without seeing it in person i guess.

do you know if they came with lifetime subscription or some other subscription?

· Registered
1 Posts
I've been with TiVO since 1998 or so? Here are my boxes:
TiVo EDGE Cable 2TB
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Premiere R74650
Series3 HD 32hr R64825
TiVo Series2 rev 3 DVR 80 hour TCD24008A
Sony 30 Hour PTV Recorder

Only the Edge, Roamio and Premiere are in service. I bought lifetime service on every box and it has paid off in spades. I just love the UI and speed not to mention the skip control. The ability to pull up recordings from other TiVO's in the house and play them on the current TiVO I'm watching is great. I do wish there were more streaming options from other services, but we use our Xbox to overcome that obstacle.

Someone mentioned streaming remote from TiVO's in their home. How is that done? TIA.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an OTA Roamio and 3 mini's. I've replaced the power supply and upgraded the HDD. We get 90+ channels through the antenna, and record broadcast TV. The quality of Antenna signals is superior compared any streaming service for local channels, and it doesn't eat into the monthly data allotment. Also, the TIVO controls are far superior to anything I've used with any streaming service. Fast forwarding is very smooth, commercial skip, OnePasses, etc.. I'll keep using it until the TIVO dies, or service is shutdown. I don't care about lack of apps on the Roamio, since Amazon and Rokus are cheap enough to have on each TV as well for them.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts