TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main preference for TiVo which I have had for 15 years now was having the capability of saving a recording such as a concert or sporting event to my PC for editing and saving in on my Media NAS for future viewing. Without that capability I would have moved on long ago. I presently have an Edge and I am happy with it.

Why did you prefer or stil use your Tivo?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you transferring items to and from an Edge and your NAS? AFAIK that ability went away with the Roamio, which is why I still own 8 of them.
There are various software packages such as pyTivo which let you transfer raw Tivo files to your pc and then there are video conversion programs that let you view and convert them to a usable mp4 file type to edit. I than transfer to my HASDS from my PC

· Cheesehead
11,772 Posts
I can think of multiple reasons, but I think the main one is it has the best interface for viewing recordings and it's the simplest DVR for recording from OTA or cable, my two main sources of content. Plus, I've got three units with Lifetime (3TB Bolt, 3TB Roamio Plus, 1TB TIVoHD(retired)), and I'm just used to TiVo after 20 years.

I also like being able to transfer recordings to my PC, and videos on my PC back to my TiVos (via kmttg and pyTiVo).

(The last, PC->TiVo transfer, is why I won't "upgrade" to TE4. I've got Plex servers on my PCs to stream to my TiVos, but playback via Plex streaming is painful compared to playing a recording that's resident on the TiVo.)

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can think of multiple reasons, but I think the main one is it has the best interface for viewing recordings and it's the simplest DVR for recording from OTA or cable, my two main sources of content. Plus, I've got three units with Lifetime (3TB Bolt, 3TB Roamio Plus, 1TB TIVoHD(retired)), and I'm just used to TiVo after 20 years.

I also like being able to transfer recordings to my PC, and videos on my PC back to my TiVos (via kmttg and pyTiVo).

(The last, PC->TiVo transfer, is why I won't "upgrade" to TE4. I've got Plex servers on my PCs to stream to my TiVos, but playback via Plex streaming is painful compared to playing a recording that's resident on the TiVo.)
I also use Plex which is a fantastic program. I have it on an external NAS server and have 8TB of content on it.
I previously had 2 upgraded Premiere models which I upgraded to one Edge and a Lux streamer I like the user interface but again it is being able to save content which is key for me.

· Registered
992 Posts
Quick Play (60%) mode & "skipping" features keep me here alone, along with simple & quick (TE3) guide/menu access. I have a mixture of 2 cablecard & 3 OTA Tivo's (2 on 1 local TV antenna, the other on a distant TV antenna/market) w/multiple mini's, ALL networked together & working beautifully.
While it's disappointing a few Comcast channels are IP-only, it's really not any that I watch with a degree of regularity; an X1 DVR box w/20 hours free DVR service fixes that.

Honestly if Tivo wasn't saddled with the (still) sh^*ty Rovi EPG data, I really would have no other complaints about it - it does exactly what a DVR should do & really doesn't need any other urgent "enhancements" I can think of, IMHO.
I absolutely don't care that it can't (also) be the perfect "streaming box" with every app...that's why they make streaming sticks that are specialized for THAT function.

· Registered
17,667 Posts
Because it does the DVR functions I need, I'm used to it, and it's already got lifetime service.

Haven't transferred shows on or off it (except to the TiVo app to watch on the tablet) in years. But I'm debating cutting the cord; there's just not that much on linear TV that I watch any more -- and my monthly cable bill could cover a lot of streaming services. It'd take a while to watch down everything still on the TiVo but I guess I wouldn't have a use for it once I no longer had cable/cable-card and had finished everything on it...

· Registered
5 Posts
My main preference for TiVo which I have had for 15 years now was having the capability of saving a recording such as a concert or sporting event to my PC for editing and saving in on my Media NAS for future viewing. Without that capability I would have moved on long ago. I presently have an Edge and I am happy with it.

We had been Tivo users since day 1, and it was wonderful and expensive over the many years. A couple years ago, we purchased 2 brand New OTA Tivos, and misplaced them in our new home in Dover, PA. Tried for hours and hours, and all the so called fixes to get the OTA channels in Dover. Nothing worked. We called around trying to find out what was going on, and everyone we talked to said Tivo just dropped support for the units. How much support could be involved? It is OTA not cable, and yet they lied when talking to them, and not just saying we don't support the units, and you are just screwed. So we wasted hours trying everything we could find online, but to no avail. Why does this country put up with companies just screwing over people? Does anyone know how to do a walk around on trying to download the channels to the OTA tivo's?

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
We had been Tivo users since day 1, and it was wonderful and expensive over the many years. A couple years ago, we purchased 2 brand New OTA Tivos, and misplaced them in our new home in Dover, PA. Tried for hours and hours, and all the so called fixes to get the OTA channels in Dover. Nothing worked. We called around trying to find out what was going on, and everyone we talked to said Tivo just dropped support for the units. How much support could be involved? It is OTA not cable, and yet they lied when talking to them, and not just saying we don't support the units, and you are just screwed. So we wasted hours trying everything we could find online, but to no avail. Why does this country put up with companies just screwing over people? Does anyone know how to do a walk around on trying to download the channels to the OTA tivo's?
Do you still use a 90s style analog cell phone or how about a Mac running OS9? At some point things lose support and technology is superseded. It's like getting upset that your computers don't have RS232 jacks anymore and why did my IP provider stop supporting modem dial in connections.

Even If Tivo was growing and successful it would probably be in a direction different than supporting old technology.

Netflix saw the writing on the wall with DVDs and prioritized getting out of that business to streaming. The growth is in streaming content. It is much easier and cheaper to support. It gives you magnitudes more choice. Requires little hardware. It gives the content providers more control and takes it away from the cable companies. You are no longer tied to contracts and can watch most anything. You can still buy and own shows but really why!

It pays to watch the trends. When I got my first iPhone with the built in camera. I saw it and IMMEDIATELY sold my Minolta film camera and all the lenses while it still had value. I did the same thing with Tivo.
I probably should have done the same with my VCR and BluRay player but I waited too long and they have no resale value. They are more emergency use machines. I have digitized all my home movies so thats less of an issue.

Reactions: pl1

· formerly known as "unclehonkey"
2,822 Posts
Because it does what I need it to do and that is record shows from the 5 channels I receive OTA (yes FIVE...it was 4 until a month ago)

But I almost didnt go with Tivo. My first Tivo was a Premiere and for OTA the tuner SUCKED! Glitching and everything. Returned it after like 2 days
Found out the tuner is bunk in it and found a Series 3 OLED with lifetime for like $250 and was hooked ever since
Picked up the OTA Roamio when it first came out (the $49.99 + 14.95 monthly model) because the Roamio basic was gasp 199.99 + fees
Cancelled that when Tivo had a BF deal of the OTA Roamio + lifetime for $200 and have used that through 3 locations, 2 cable companies (due to adding the cable card reader) and 3 local markets (well 2 markets total but one location was between both markets). Still have shows on it from the 1st location :)

· Cheesehead
11,772 Posts
If you posted some more info about your "OTA Tivos" maybe somebody on this forum could help you. 2 years ago? TiVo currently sells this 7th gen device
And previously sold this 6th gen
and this 5th gen

No exeperience here with the Edge, but I've got a Bolt that does OTA or cable, but only used it for OTA, while my Roamio Plus does cable,and my retired TiVoHD (3rd gen) did both OTA and cable. No reason yours shouldn't work, or why TiVo refuses to help. Well, okay the latter I understand, TiVo support sux.

· Cheesehead
11,772 Posts
The growth is in streaming content. It is much easier and cheaper to support. It gives you magnitudes more choice. Requires little hardware. It gives the content providers more control and takes it away from the cable companies.
Also takes control away from users. With few exceptions, users can't record streaming content, but the streaming content providers like it that way. They see their future growth, justly so based on sales, in streaming to phones, cars, watches, heck pick a device from the IoT.

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Also takes control away from users. With few exceptions, users can't record streaming content, but the streaming content providers like it that way. They see their future growth, justly so based on sales, in streaming to phones, cars, watches, heck pick a device from the IoT.
Once I watch something I don’t need to go back and watch it again. Too much new stuff therefore I don’t need it recorded.

· Registered
37 Posts
I'd like to get off my Tivo. My use case is for recording a few OTA shows including The Simpsons, SNL, Family Guy, Lego Masters, the annual Rose Parade and Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, etc.. You can stream most of these shows. But without a cable TV subscription, the streaming options for each show are fairly limited.
I'm bad about watching these shows (outside of the parades), so they tend to pile up on my DVR. I do want to watch all episodes of each one, in order. And I love to commercial skip.
But with streaming, some of the shows only keep the last five episodes for streaming. And in all cases, I can't skip commercials with streaming.
I don't want to worry about an episode I want to watch not being there due to this week's licensing change, or because ABC decided to only let you view the most recent two episodes, or whatever. I also don't want to worry about some OTA shows being available the day after air, and others only being available a week or month after the original air date.
So that brings me back to the trusty Tivo every time. What I record is mine forever - until I delete it. If anyone has ANY suggestions otherwise, I'd love to hear them. But it has to be 'friendly' enough for the rest of my family to be able to use it.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
Besides the government switching from analog to digital OTA, TiVo has never done anything to stop support of OTA.

I don’t know what your particular issue was but whoever told you that TiVo dropped support was wrong or lying.

You should have posted here, your issue was very likely completely fixable.

· Registered
8,329 Posts

Simple.

Because the alternatives - a cable company DVR or streaming live tv - aren’t as good.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts