TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished deactivating duplicate channels in the Guide on my Tivo Bolt VOX.

Why do cable companies list the same channel multiple times in the Guide?

Many channels were listed as SD and HD. In today's world, it doesn't make sense to have an SD channel.

And... many channels were listed two or three times as HD channels.

Why do they do this?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
One of he nice things on DirecTV was the ability to hide SD duplicates - so if there was an HD channel you didn't see the SD.
One of the nice things about a TiVo is the Channel List where you can block any channel for any reason. Then set the guide "A" option to My Channels.

With TE3 you can select favorites there too. With TE4 it's a different list.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,541 Posts
On Verizon Fios, they had duplicated channel numbers because one set was for use with the English language packages (although those still included some Spanish channels), while another set was for Spanish channel packages (though those still included many English channels). The numbers allowed them to present the packages as continuous ranges. It wasn't a very good reason, IMHO, but they didn't ask me.

On Comcast, in addition to the above -- after many years of fitting in new channels wherever they could*, at some point they tried to reorganize them into more rational groupings, which did they in the 1000+ range... while still keeping all the old numbers at their old (< 1000) locations, presumably so as not to disturb people who'd memorized the old numbers. (Since I hadn't been on Comcast for 20 years when I came back and found it this way, I just removed all the sub-1000 channels from the TiVo's list.)

* Or so I infer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy crap.

Back when I used the DVR from the cable company, some channels were duplicated in the Guide. For example, the local CBS channel was listed as channel 6 (SD), channel 806 (HD) and channel 1060 (HD).

Today, everyone has a TV that is capable of HD. So... two questions... 1) Why list the SD channel?

Secondly, why is the same channel (806 and 1060) listed TWICE?

i spent four hours going through each channel to eliminate duplicates from my guide.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Holy crap.

Back when I used the DVR from the cable company, some channels were duplicated in the Guide. For example, the local CBS channel was listed as channel 6 (SD), channel 806 (HD) and channel 1060 (HD).

Today, everyone has a TV that is capable of HD. So... two questions... 1) Why list the SD channel?

Secondly, why is the same channel (806 and 1060) listed TWICE?

i spent four hours going through each channel to eliminate duplicates from my guide.
The reason for listing the SD channels is most cable companies still have a ton of people using SD boxes. They can't shut the channel down until they convert everyone to newer hardware. The HD channel being duplicated definitely sounds like something weird your cable company is doing

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
739 Posts
Spectrum has this - in addition to the baggage of being effectively three systems in one company, years of “shove it in wherever” led to a mess in the listings. SD/HD makes no difference, as the SD numbers still deliver HD feeds on my TWC system. They’re just there so we don’t have to re-memorise numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason for listing the SD channels is most cable companies still have a ton of people using SD boxes. They can't shut the channel down until they convert everyone to newer hardware. The HD channel being duplicated definitely sounds like something weird your cable company is doing
BS. Everyone nowadays has a device that adapts HDTV to a standard TV.... OR... they have a HDTV.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
BS. Everyone nowadays has a device that adapts HDTV to a standard TV.... OR... they have a HDTV.
No they don't. Example: my brother has five TVs. Two of them are old SD tube sets. Comcast provides him with two tuners for them that are SD only. Comcast would have to replace those with newer devices. They don't do it because of cost. While most (not all) people have an HD TV for their primary TV, many (if not most multiple tv households) still have at least one SD tv.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
The way Comcast groups listings in different number ranges makes no sense. Let the customer create a FAV list if they don't want to view things by groups.
Practically every cable and satellite system groups channels by type. How would you do that with a favorites list? You need one for sports, one for movies, one for news, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts
Comcast is in transition. They are supposed to remove the lower HD channels but haven't yet.
Comcast is in perpetual transition. They hadn't even finished migrating from the 00's to the 800's, when they decided the world really needed four digit numbers for everything, and by the time they almost get everyone into the 1000's, someone will decided that the original numbers were best, and migrate us back to the 00's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.