TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my SlingBox is on its way to the junk pile, I'm looking for a new way to view my Tivo recordings online.
I was hoping that Tivo Online would be the solution but, so far, I am quite disappointed.
When I log into Tivo Online, and click All Shows, I see see only about 1/4 of all my recordings. Where are the rest?

When I click on something to view, all I get is a spinning tornado icon.

What am I doing wrong?

I'd like to get it working over the LAN before trying it over the Internet.
I expect more problems with that because my Xfinity upload speed is only 5.90 Mbps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What type of TiVo do you have? Only the Roamio Plus/Pro or Bolt and later have the built in Stream device. All other TiVo models need a standalone box (or use the Stream from a Roamio Plus/Pro).

Do you have a smartphone or tablet to try streaming on the TiVo app first? Sometimes you have to do the setup routine first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of TiVo do you have? Do you have a smartphone or tablet to try streaming on the TiVo app first? Sometimes you have to do the setup routine first.
My main box is a Roamio Plus.
Are you suggesting that an Android app connection is needed before the Windows browser app will work correctly?

Seems weird, but I can certainly try it.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
My main box is a Roamio Plus.
Are you suggesting that an Android app connection is needed before the Windows browser app will work correctly?

Seems weird, but I can certainly try it.
It's not that the app needs to connect, it's that the app is the only way to set up streaming. If it's never been set up, it's not going to work. If there is another way to set it up, I'm all ears because I despise the app.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So this is interesting. Here's what I just discovered because I was curious about the web player.

Mobile App on WiFi -> uses LAN and no internet upstream for TiVo to send video to mobile phone.
This method will allow any recorded show, copy protected program, and anything I have already transferred from a pytivo media share to play.
(Good!)

Mobile App on Celluar -> uses about 2.5-3mbps of my internet connection's upstream for TiVo to send video to my phone. This method will not allow "copy protected" videos to play on my mobile device. Any other non-protected recording will stream AND anything I have already transferred from a pytivo media share (i.e. home movies) to also stream on my mobile device over cellular.

online.tivo.com (tested using Chrome and Mac) - When it streams a recording, it does use the LAN connection and does not cause any heavy down or upstream traffic on my internet/WAN connection.

(image shows 'Superman & Lois' series has PLAY icon)

(image shows 'The Osbournes Want to Believe' series is copy-protected and shows lack of PLAY icon)

The downside...no protected recordings have a "Play" button. And if a protected recording does have a play button, it wants you to redirect to amazon video or others etc. It doesn't appear I can stream a protected recording using online.tivo.com on my web browser, even though non-protected recordings are not even using the internet to stream to my browser on the same LAN.

The other downside...anything I have manually transferred to my TiVo (i.e. pytivo) will show up in"My Shows" but it also cannot be played and I also get the endless blue circle spin when trying to play or open any custom recording. You can however still play custom recordings on the mobile app regardless if using LAN or internet upstream.

(image shows custom upload from pytivo including "Everyday 20" and "beavis_butthead_musicvideos". When clicking on one custom recording, no information can be displayed, nothing is loading and you are unable to play despite showing the Play icon. Clicking on a custom recording Hangs at spinning blue circle)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can use Plex to play your own vids remotely if you setup port forwarding.
I would be thrilled to set up port forward to get some functionality.

What is Plex?

I'm guessing it won't allow me to play shows that are still recording.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts