TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
200 Club Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a functioning Premiere Elite model with one that will support UE4 so I can standardize my UIs in my home. The VOX remote will be nice to use, as well on all the units.

I keep hearing that the Roamios are more stable and better built than the BOLT or EDGE units. I have a Roamio Pro and it's been relatively trouble-free (no random rebooting, etc.) which I can't say for my Premiere Elite model. But, is there any real data that indicates the Roamio units are more reliable than another newer models?
The HDR and 4K of the Bolt/Edge are inviting- but not essential to my use.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
There is no popular statistical vs. anecdotal comparisons for the TiVo boxes. Bolts do seem to fail more often. That may be due to use of a 2.5" drive, which even new laptops stopped using, and poor cooling which can be helped with simple changes. I have had a Roamio fail due to HDMI problems. I have three Roamio and two Mini units I use every day. One Roamio and a Mini Vox are using TE4. I thought 4k would be worth the trouble, but it's not (for me). I used the voice remote at first, but stopped when the software changed.

After watching the Bolt & Edge forums for a year, I decided to stick with my Roamio boxes. My cable company was renting the Edge, but dropped it and went with the Stream 4k after a year. And that's just more anecdotal data. :)

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,444 Posts
My Bolt's been perfectly fine, original drive and all, since October 2016 (knock on wood). Then again, my Roamio has also been fine, since August 2013. A couple of Premieres died in that time. The Bolt and Roamio have been from Fios to Comcast and back again.

4K isn't as useful as one would hope, because the cable companies haven't done much with it. But the Bolt is still faster.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend a Premier for TE4.

The processing power is going to make it very sluggish.

It’s basically end of life according to TiVo in terms of support.

Stick to Roamio or newer.

·
TiVo Lover
283 Posts
It's basically end of life according to TiVo in terms of support.

Stick to Roamio or newer.
We have 2 Premieres and they work great, but yes they can't run TE4.

·
200 Club Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I just paid just under $200 for a Roamio Pro with lifetime. I guess I will have to get the VOX remote to really take advantage of TE4. The unit was impeccably maintained by its original owner who seems, in our correspondence, like a legit good person.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had a Bolt for 3+ years and it died once and TiVo replaced it for $50.00. Got a Roamio Pro for $130.00 (with lifetime) and in less than 4 months, the HDMI died (known issue,) fan died (easy fix) and the remotes would not pair. Other than easy to open and upgrade no reason to buy. Just old hardware with known issues. Most on eBay are well over 5 years old. Buy @ your own risk. Your results may vary.....

I'm using a mini to manage my crippled Roamio Pro today. After having both, the Bolt for me was a better option as my Roamio has issues that I cannot work around and its SLOW.. DEAD SLOW. The Bolt just needs a fan to resolve the temp issue.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm looking to replace a functioning Premiere Elite model with one that will support UE4 so I can standardize my UIs in my home. The VOX remote will be nice to use, as well on all the units.

I keep hearing that the Roamios are more stable and better built than the BOLT or EDGE units. I have a Roamio Pro and it's been relatively trouble-free (no random rebooting, etc.) which I can't say for my Premiere Elite model. But, is there any real data that indicates the Roamio units are more reliable than another newer models?
The HDR and 4K of the Bolt/Edge are inviting- but not essential to my use.
The main advantage for a Roamio or greater model is that you can install a new hard drive and the Tivo will format it and start working. For the premiere you have to use special software and hook up the hard drive to a PC to replace. You might be able to revive your Premiere with a new hard drive. Bolts that can use OTA or Cable are more common and offer greater flexibility for service providers. You can manually add a cable card bracket to a Roamio OTA to use for cable. The Bolt and the Roamio OTA have external power bricks that are easier to replace than the cable only Roamio internal power supplies. The hard drive on the Cable only Bolt has a high failure rate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can manually add a cable card bracket to a Roamio OTA to use for cable.
I can't believe I missed that. I've had an OTA in storage for years because we replaced it with a Roamio Pro a few years ago (which I'm glad we did anyways because we needed a moca bridge.) My Roamio OTA has a ton of recorded shows when I lived in a different city and it would be cool to use it again if I could also connect an extra CableCard to it.

Now I'm gonna look into this cable card bracket research thanks to you because I honestly cannot believe I missed out knowing that all my few years randomly on this forum lol.

Do you happen to know if is easy in settings to switch between OTA and CableCard channels and/or can I use a splitter (maybe with a switch) to send both OTA/Antenna AND CableTV signals to the single coax input on the Roamio OTA?

...Plus I miss Tivo Menu + 0 to activate that cool TiVo animation video which only the Roamio OTA version had lol

·
Geek
137 Posts
I made the mistake of buying 2 bolts. They are crap in my opinion. Both lasted a little over 2 months and they both had problems with their tuners. I roamio pro has been working perfectly for years. I will use it until it dies or tivo guide no longer supports it. I am afraid to try a newer Tivo due to my terrible experience and I know lots of others have had the same type of problems with bolt.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two Roamio Pros chugging along and I have my smart Roku TV for the apps if I wand them in HDR.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,737 Posts
I made the mistake of buying 2 bolts. They are crap in my opinion. Both lasted a little over 2 months and they both had problems with their tuners. I roamio pro has been working perfectly for years. I will use it until it dies or tivo guide no longer supports it. I am afraid to try a newer Tivo due to my terrible experience and I know lots of others have had the same type of problems with bolt.
4 Bolts in the family and the only 2 issues over what feels like 5 years, both were dead drives.
2 Roamios and they have never had an issue, I don't like the bolt because of the difficulty in finding good large drives for it, but in general I don't feel it's a lemon or "terrible"

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Do you happen to know if is easy in settings to switch between OTA and CableCard channels and/or can I use a splitter (maybe with a switch) to send both OTA/Antenna AND CableTV signals to the single coax input on the Roamio OTA?
No, the unit can use EITHER OTA or CableCard listings, NOT at the same time...so you would have to go thru guided setup EACH time to switch & switch coax inputs as well - NOT worth it!
My Roamio OTA has a ton of recorded shows when I lived in a different city and it would be cool to use it again if I could also connect an extra CableCard to it.
You CAN connect it into your setup & still watch recorded shows without a CC...obviously you won't be able to record anything. If you can use an antenna, you could obviously connect it & then just connect to your TV on another HDMI input & have BOTH an OTA & Cable Tivo at your viewing pleasure.
I have a Roamio Plus w/CC & 3 Roamios on 2 different OTA antennas, ALL networked together on Ethernet. (you can't use MOCA in this fashion with multiple signal sources like I'm doing)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts