TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to Xfinity cable and I have a Roamio Plus with Lifetime Service connected to a 65" Toshiba projection HDTV. (I also have a TiVo Mini connected using MOCA in another room to a 2nd HDTV.)

I just bought a Samsung 4k Frame 55" TV to replace my Toshiba but my Roamio only handles HD. Which TiVo should I buy? The Edge? Will my Lifetime transfer? Can I sell the older Roamio Plus?

Thanks.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
Move the Roamio to the other TV and buy a 4K Mini (VOX or LUX) for the 4K TV? Or keep the TiVo setup as-is, relying on upscaling, and buy a 4K streaming box (if your TV lacks support for any desired services)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Move the Roamio to the other TV and buy a 4K Mini (VOX or LUX) for the 4K TV? Or keep the TiVo setup as-is, relying on upscaling, and buy a 4K streaming box (if your TV lacks support for any desired services)?
So the 4k mini would be connected to my Roamio. But would it playback TV shows in 4K if it was recorded on the Roamio?
As far as upscaling the shows I don't notice a difference on the new TV. I looked for a setting to turn on upscaling and could not find one.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
So the 4k mini would be connected to my Roamio. But would it playback TV shows in 4K if it was recorded on the Roamio?
As far as upscaling the shows I don't notice a difference on the new TV. I looked for a setting to turn on upscaling and could not find one.
The Mini would work the same as always, via the home network.

As for viewing 4K content off your provider, I’m not sure how much 4K content is delivered via QAM and could be recorded by even the 4K-capable TiVo boxes, the BOLT and EDGE series. Regardless, no, I don’t believe that a Roamio would be capable of tuning 4K content on behalf of a 4K-capable Mini client.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mini would work the same as always, via the home network.

As for viewing 4K content off your provider, I’m not sure how much 4K content is delivered via QAM and could be recorded by even the 4K-capable TiVo boxes, the BOLT and EDGE series. Regardless, no, I don’t believe that a Roamio would be capable of tuning 4K content on behalf of a 4K-capable Miki client.
Thanks. I read this on another thread: "All 4K content from Xfinity is delivered on IP only channels so you cannot get them on any model TiVo".

So to upgrade from the Roamio to the EDGE would be just a waste of money, in terms of getting 4K over the cable.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,617 Posts
Thanks. It is sad that in 2022 the cable companies can't figure out a way to offer 4K for all the channels. And they charge a lot monthly.
The cable companies don't care about Tivo customers, as far as they are concerned they want you on their proprietary boxes with them renting them to you, as far as they're concerned there's nothing wrong since if you use all their hardware things work fine.

and that's how you spell non-customer focused monopoly

Reactions: Pokemon_Dad

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,690 Posts
The cable companies don't care about Tivo customers, as far as they are concerned they want you on their proprietary boxes with them renting them to you, as far as they're concerned there's nothing wrong since if you use all their hardware things work fine.

and that's how you spell non-customer focused monopoly
I wouldn't say that you are wrong in essence on these points, but your cynicism does strike me as exaggerated.

Case in point: At the present time Comcast is still supplying (in most cases free of charge) and supporting CableCARD, and they still have a customer-owned equipment (COE) credit policy on the books which applies to those (mostly legacy) plans that include a Comcast-supplied digital device (such as the Digital Starter service I receive via my HOA's bulk-service agreement). This despite the recent expiration of the FCC mandate for CableCARD support.

Further case in point: This week, in a move to counter the deals now available in my neighborhood from AT&T Fiber (e.g., 24-month fixed pricing for 300/500/1000Mbps HSI with no contract agreement including the rental gateway with no data cap for as low as $55), Comcast has launched similar deals.* This is the first time in my memory (and definitely the first time under Simple & Easy) that they have offered retail HSI plans that include the gateway. What is more, you can elect to remove the Comcast-supplied gateway (together with the "xFi Complete" plan that includes waiver of the data cap) in return for a $10 monthly discount. Therefore, the customer is left with a viable alternative should they desire to use their own modem/router.

As far as Comcast's proprietary X1 video ecosphere is concerned, none of the STB/DVR gear is included in their current plans--it's all a la carte and subject to individual pricing per item. The devices can therefore generally be added or removed from the account without affecting the CATV service fee or plan viability.

*Although in principal those 24-month (fixed-price, no term agreement) deals are reserved for new customers, you should be able to get similar pricing as an existing customer with a 12-month term agreement. As it happens, my own former 24-month agreement for Ultrafast (900Mbps) HSI was due to expire next week on May 17, and I signed a new 12-month agreement yesterday for the same end price ($40) that is available under the new 24-month (no term agreement) deals and which matches what I was paying up until now under my previous deal. The full retail price for Ultrafast is $109 and if I had done nothing, my rate would have risen to $95 for the next 12 months..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts