TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing my 5th D*Tivo this week and need to know what type of switch I am going to need to hook all 5 up. my current switch is full with 4 and has to be replaced.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
scalo said:
my current switch is full with 4 and has to be replaced.
Full - yes. Needs replacing - no. Just cascade another switch off of the first. What kind? We can't help you there because you haven't told us the kind you are using now.

-Robert

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for the lack of information.....all I can remember is that it is a perfect vision non powered switch, not sure of the model, I think it is PVMS8EP without being home to look at it. Also dual LNB Dish if that helps at all.
Thanks

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
That switch you have is a 3x8, so you could get a cheap 2x4 and connect it to two outputs from the 3x8. This will give you a total of ten outputs. Or another 3x8 to give you 14.

·
The KIDD
159 Posts
Try ebay, thats where i got my switch.

Hey jim regarding your quote in your sig does that include Bush. :)

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
Then there is a method you can use to generate 16 outputs, using two Yx8 switches (where Y can be 2,3,4,5,6)

Y represents the number of inputs on your switch.
2 - Two Feeds
3 - Two Feeds 1 OTA
4 - Four Feeds
5 - Four Feeds 1 OTA
6 - Four Feeds and the 2 FLEX ports

For the sake of argument, I am going to take the 6 feeds out of the equation as I personally not done it, nor have seen reports of some one using this process 100% with that particular one.

Either way the pattern would be the same:

For each of your SAT Feeds (you need all of them available for your dish).
You will use Single DC Passing splitters (very similar to the traditional splitters we are all used to).. 1 feed - 2 outputs (for this example, but once you see the pattern, you can go bigger).

You take the one feed from the SAT, feed it to the DC Passing splitter.
Take one output hook it to Multiswitch A, the other to the corresponding port on Multiswitch B. (Helps if you have the same type of multiswitches)

Continue the process for the other feeds. Just make sure that all the ones passing the DC, go to the same switch.

When you are done, you will have (for example) a 4x16 for nearly 1/3 of the price of an integrated one. Sure it is a tad more messy, but ... $300 is $300 bucks...

I need to put together a document with drawings...... I have done this many times for many people.. and works out VERY good.

·
Minor Deity of TV
157 Posts
Ebonovic is correct...BUT!!!!
the splitters used should be rated at least as low as 950 Mhz and at least as high as 1500 Mhz (1.5 Ghz) for frequency. 2.1 Ghz or above is best. With a 5-lnb dish, go as low as you can, also...at least to 500 Mhz

Power (dc) passing is usually indicated by a solid black line from the source to the outputs. For this setup BOTH outputs need black lines

A diplexer is essentially (but more complicated than) a splitter where one side is power passing and the other is not.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A 5 LNB dish needs to cover at least 250MHz to 2150MHz and I like a little excess. There are splitters commonly available for 5-2300MHz or 5-3000MHz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Earl and Vin for the design and the drawing.

Do all 4 cables coming off of a 3 LNB dish with builtin switch have to be fed into a multiswitch for the multiswitch to work?

My cabling is very limited; I only have 2 coming in the house at any given location. So i'm wondering, can I connect those 2 into a multiswitch to be able to add another receiver at that location? I prefer not to hang multiswitches on the wall outside then run more cable outside and drill more holes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, with the 3-LNB dish you need to connect all 4 cables to the multiswitch (in order to have access to multiple satellites). If you only need programming from the 101 satellite, you could get away with using only 2 lines. But if that is the case, you probably would not have the 3-LNB dish. More than likely if you only use 2 lines, you will loose the following: local channels, foreign language programming if you have any, HD if you have any.

Carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts