TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Retired
261 Posts
I also recently bought a house we had built. The builder installed power, cable, ethernet and an hdmi cable for connecting the tv above the mantle.

My Tivo is mounted in a regular Entertainment cabinet to the left of the fireplace where the other end of the hdmi cable exits. This works very well, but of course is easier to setup while building the house.

In one of our bedrooms we simply mounted a Tivo Mini to the back of the wall hung HDTV with the front of the mini pointed at the ceiling. Infrared signals bounce nicely off the ceiling and control the "hidden" mini without problem.

If there is room behind your TV, this could possibly be done with a Tivo Roamio or Bolt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Cord Cutter
7,499 Posts
That wiring is deficient. You need HDMI from wherever all your equipment resides to the TV. Because the AVR and UHD-BD player have to go somewhere, too, even if the TV is smart and doesn't need a Roku/ATV/FireTV and you don't have game consoles or other sources.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts
Why do people continue to mount TV's above fireplaces? Its the worst viewing angle. Why would you want to look up to watch TV. This design fad was one of the worst ideas and people still do it.
Many times it's the ONLY place in a room to put a TV. While I would make every effort to not create/design a room where that's the only place a TV could go, when that's what you have, you make lemonade.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Why do people continue to mount TV's above fireplaces? Its the worst viewing angle. Why would you want to look up to watch TV. This design fad was one of the worst ideas and people still do it.
A friend bought a new house a couple of years ago and I helped him move in. They have a living room fireplace but the room is not too big so I told him straight up don't install a TV above it as tempting as it is as you will feel like first row in movie theatre.

He installed one there anyway and took only a day to realize it was a mistake. I think it's ok for a really big room where you are sitting at least 15-20 feet away and the line of site doesn't strain your neck.

·
Cord Cutter
7,499 Posts
A friend bought a new house a couple of years ago and I helped him move in. They have a living room fireplace but the room is not too big so I told him straight up don't install a TV above it as tempting as it is as you will feel like first row in movie theatre.

He installed one there anyway and took only a day to realize it was a mistake. I think it's ok for a really big room where you are sitting at least 15-20 feet away and the line of site doesn't strain your neck.
It's not right for any room.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.