TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
herdfan said:
In hindsight, D* and E* should have come to an agreement to dual broadcast locals. There is no reason every local channel needs to be up there twice.
Would not work - incompatable receivers - I think D* uses "almost MPEG2" and E* uses "standard MPEG2". There also the problem with authorizing reception on the smartcards, etc. Finally, even if the above items were not an obstacle, they would have needed a 'common' satellite that both companies could have a dish to point to.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you think about it, cable is local area dependent and DirecTV is country wide. My local Comcast beats DirecTV in HD and offers more channels but then the Comcast in my area doesn't have to also carry local channels for the entire country, special business channels, multiple foreign language packages, etc.... I am sure their quality would fade, the compression would raise, if they did.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
goony said:
Would not work - incompatable receivers - I think D* uses "almost MPEG2" and E* uses "standard MPEG2". There also the problem with authorizing reception on the smartcards, etc. Finally, even if the above items were not an obstacle, they would have needed a 'common' satellite that both companies could have a dish to point to.
Urban myth...the MPEG standards used by both companies are 100% compatible. They DO have a satellite location in common - two in fact: 110° and 119°WL. Echostar has 21 frequencies at 119, and DirecTV has 11, while E* has 29 at 110 and DirecTV has 3. At one point there WAS some discussion between the companies that would have resulted in E* getting all of 119, in exchange for an equivalent amount of capacity at 110. The only technical issue is that E* uses DVB signal encoding and DirecTV uses the proprietary DSS system, but that could have been worked out. From there, it would have been logical for the two providers to use 110 for locals, and not too great a leap to send both system's CA and EPG formats in the data.

The talks got stuck on DirecTV's demand for 16 transponders at 110 (half of the total) and E* wanting 18 (the net after a 1 for 1 swap for the 119 transponders).

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
I'm sure we all know it, but I sorta laugh when cable disses satellite. They get their HBO from the same bird we do!!!! And when I pass by my cable co, I see about 15 satellite dishes. And they have the nerve to say satellite sucks!

·
I'm the Kettle
2,142 Posts
JaserLet said:
When did D* start to suck? I am still happy with my setup, it's way nicer than I would have ever dreamed of 10 years ago. But when did D* start to suck?
They been working real hard at it the last year or so, and doing a pretty good job at it I might add.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jabberer said:
I agree with ADent - when Murdock bought 'em is the day they started really going down hill. When I originally subscribed, they were the technology leader - better picture than cable, more variety than cable, more innovation in services *and* cheaper than cable. Over the last few years, nearly every advantage they had has been erroded away - including, with this latest rumored price increase, price. I still see no specific reason to actually switch away, but now, when someone asks why they should select DTV over cable, I just don't have much to say...
Funny how Murdock has only had Directv now for a bit over 1 year.

I think you are confusing Murdock with the inability of Directv to do anything for almost 18 months when Charlie (Dish) was trying to buy them. That was when Cable began to take steps to pass Directv.
My only regret with Directv at the moment is they did not use their relationship with Hughs sooner to put up more Satellites. In the long run they will easily outdistance cable for HD content, but it will take almost 2 years to do it.

By the way. Why did they charge you for installation?? I remember in 94 putting up my first dish, but by 97 Directv has always done it for free. Heck they even came out once and corrected the alignment for free.
I think I would have called customer retention to ask for a free install. Or at the very least asked for a comp on my package lineup.
Sorry to hear about your dismay with Directv. For some reason I am stoked with all the new changes. I can not wait for my new DVR. I love TIVO, but I want more HD. And I am willing to give Murdock the chance to prove himself.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hersheytx said:
Funny how Murdock has only had Directv now for a bit over 1 year.

I think you are confusing Murdock with the inability of Directv to do anything for almost 18 months when Charlie (Dish) was trying to buy them. That was when Cable began to take steps to pass Directv.
You make a valid point here - some of the things I don't like about DTV have a history that goes back before Murdock. Let me rephrase then - it seems to be going down hill at a much accelerated rate since he bought the company. My feeling, without actually looking anything up ;) is that things started to flake out about the time GM started shopping around to sell - I guess I made the connection "shopping around = Rupert = no so great changes". But I still think Mudock is damaging the company. Everything the man touches gets tacky - just look at TV Guide if you need proof, all they need is to go to an all black and white format and they can give The Weekly World News a run for thier money.

·
Banned
2,442 Posts
Jabberer said:
You make a valid point here - some of the things I don't like about DTV have a history that goes back before Murdock. Let me rephrase then - it seems to be going down hill at a much accelerated rate since he bought the company. My feeling, without actually looking anything up ;) is that things started to flake out about the time GM started shopping around to sell - I guess I made the connection "shopping around = Rupert = no so great changes". But I still think Mudock is damaging the company. Everything the man touches gets tacky - just look at TV Guide if you need proof, all they need is to go to an all black and white format and they can give The Weekly World News a run for thier money.
I take your TV Guide raise you BskyB

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hersheytx said:
...My only regret with Directv at the moment is they did not use their relationship with Hughs sooner to put up more Satellites. In the long run they will easily outdistance cable for HD content, but it will take almost 2 years to do it....
Not bloody likely...even if DirecTV had 3 times the capacity of their Ku and Ka slots, cable would still have more bandwidth.

Satellite capacity is not the real issue, commitment to quality is. DirecTV has, in the last 12 months, seriously degraded picture quality of BOTH the HD and SD content, replaced what was arguably the best available DVR system with another system that has a dubious track record, imposed restrictive business terms on customers, and raised prices (soon to be twice).

This is what has long time customer dismayed.

·
Banned
2,442 Posts
Dan Collins said:
Not bloody likely...even if DirecTV had 3 times the capacity of their Ku and Ka slots, cable would still have more bandwidth.

Satellite capacity is not the real issue, commitment to quality is. DirecTV has, in the last 12 months, seriously degraded picture quality of BOTH the HD and SD content, replaced what was arguably the best available DVR system with another system that has a dubious track record, imposed restrictive business terms on customers, and raised prices (soon to be twice).

dubious track record? the thing has been out for only 3months

raised prices (soon to be twice). that is all still romer even with the alleged "faxs" until there is a press release BY DIRECTV

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,670 Posts
newsposter said:
I'm sure we all know it, but I sorta laugh when cable disses satellite. They get their HBO from the same bird we do!!!! And when I pass by my cable co, I see about 15 satellite dishes. And they have the nerve to say satellite sucks!
Indeed, when I had cable when I first moved to NH, it was the worst of both worlds: noisy analog signal that showed bad artificacting and rain fade every time it snowed. Brilliant.

Now it's not an issue, since the cable company wants $14,000/mile to install cable to my place, leaving me with a $5k bill if I want cable. So unless I get desperate for a cable modem, this place will remain cable-less and I will stay with D*.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
Dan Collins said:

To top it off, why not charge customers the same amount to own equipment then, change the monthly fee to "lease fees." Semantics...hardly.

Still better than cable, but it's getting closer.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
lee espinoza said:
dubious track record? the thing has been out for only 3months...
The "DirecTV-Plus DVR" is the US version of the BSkyB "Sky-Plus DVR" which has been around for a couple of years. It's track record in the UK is less than stellar (with most of the problems being reported by early adopters here). This is why comments like "it will get better" are, I'm afraid, wishful thinking. They've had years to get it right in the UK and have not been able to as of yet.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
Dan Collins said:
The "DirecTV-Plus DVR" is the US version of the BSkyB "Sky-Plus DVR" which has been around for a couple of years. It's track record in the UK is less than stellar (with most of the problems being reported by early adopters here). This is why comments like "it will get better" are, I'm afraid, wishful thinking. They've had years to get it right in the UK and have not been able to as of yet.
So the "DirecTV developed the software internally" is a bunch of mularchy? I'd say one look at NDS' website (XTVtoGo, etc.) makes it pretty clear DTV's development pretty much consisted of "we'll take 500,000 of whatever you got."

·
Registered
99 Posts
itsmeitsmeitsme said:
Just curious. Have you tried the R-15? You have first hand knowledge of this crappy dvr?
Yes. I am on my 3rd unit. I figure the 4th one will be along in a few weeks. What a total piece of junk. The good thing is they keep giving me free ones and refunded my initial cost.

·
TiVo Fan
1,352 Posts
JaserLet said:
When did D* start to suck? I am still happy with my setup, it's way nicer than I would have ever dreamed of 10 years ago. But when did D* start to suck?
When General Motors/Hughes wanted to sell it real bad and Murdoch bought it.

That is when DirecTV really started to SUCK.

Now we have NO TIVO, MUSIC CHOICE for XM RADIO SWAP, LEASED EQUIPMENT, and the all new for 2006 - NO RATE INCREASE/RATE INCREASE. (Kind of like the famous "Read My Lips" line from 1980.)

And all of this has been bought to you by the "NEW PEOPLE AT DIRECTV".

Additional Edit:

In the past, starting all the way back in 1994, most of the news that came out DirecTV was usually good, now at the very least the news is shades of gray. Let's hope for everybody's good that the news actually gets better in the future.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.