TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bummer. I guess this answers the question of whether it will eventually return as a series.

·
well rounded
3,130 Posts
Subscriber only link, so I can't read the article. :( But from what I gather, this contradicts Joss' comments about waiting for the DVD and European sales before a final decision is made. So I don't believe a reporter over Joss' direct statements.

·
Smelly Pirate Hooker
1,161 Posts
What a good reason to NOT buy the DVD! To admit it won't make a difference.

·
The Question
11,579 Posts
All the article says is:

''In the end, it was what it was: a tough sell,'' says Whedon, adding that it appears the Firefly saga has reached its conclusion. He has no regrets — and he's moving on.

Hardly conclusive.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
41,434 Posts
Joss has responded to the rumors and the article over on Whedonesqe.com:
Joss Whedon said:
All right, now I have to jump in and set the record straight. EW is a fine rag, but they do take things out of context. Obviously when I said I had 'closure', what I meant was "I hate Serenity, I hated Firefly, I think my fans are stupid and Nathan Fillion smells like turnips." But EW's always got to put some weird negative spin on it. But so we're clear once and for all: If you read a quote saying "I'd love to do more in this 'verse with these actors in any medium" all I'm saying is that Nathan has a turnipy odor. It's not his fault, he doesn't eat a lot of them but everyone else in the cast noticed it and tht's not really something I'm prepared to deal with any more. And Jewel said outright she wouldn't do scenes with him except stuff like the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER funeral scene which was outside in a high SPOILER wind. So if I do manage to find another incarnation for my beloved creation, it will have been totally against my will.

I hope that clears everything up. Oh, and when I say I want to do a Spike movie, it means I have a bunion on my toe.

-joss (by which I mean Tim)

(no, actually me.)
http://whedonesque.com/comments/9027#101124

·
I am Groot!
61,720 Posts
Graymalkin said:
So when he says he has a bunion on his toe, that means.... ?
That means he needs Wonder Woman to give him a foot massage.

Which is one reason why we won't be seeing any Firefly in the near future...

·
...I'm not.
18,975 Posts
Good catch; now off to post to the other half-dozen forums/blogs/etc. I've seen that have run this EW story today...

I wonder how many people have even seen the whole article?? I certainly haven't, given the paid registration requirement (who actually subscribes to EW? Online EW!?). I was expecting the obligatory posting of the whole article in the Slashdot thread at least, but no such luck. Nice to know people are freaking out over a fragment of story in a random industry rag :rolleyes:

·
...I'm not.
18,975 Posts
Man In Black said:
It means you need to read the Onion more. ;)
Don't you mean The Bunion? ;)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,914 Posts
LoadStar said:
That he's secretly in love with Adam Baldwin. Duh.
Who could blame him? He is "The Hero of Canton." ;)

·
Seriously?
18,477 Posts
devdogaz said:
Who could blame him? He is "The Hero of Canton." ;)
Not to mention "The Man They Call.....Me!"

(if anyone has the DVDs and hasn't seen that Easter Egg, it's hi-larious)

·
Connoisseur
11,421 Posts
dcheesi said:
Good catch; now off to post to the other half-dozen forums/blogs/etc. I've seen that have run this EW story today...

I wonder how many people have even seen the whole article??
Here's the complete text (see, an AOL account *is* good for something):

Adios, 'Firefly'...
Joss Whedon lets ''Firefly'' go -- The ''Serenity'' director may turn to ''Buff the Vampire Slayer'' for his next big-screen project by Jeff Jensen

When Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon looks back on 2005, he can take comfort in knowing that his film-directing debut, the sci-fi Western Serenity, resurrected his canceled-too-soon cult classic TV series Firefly, and was also one of the year's best-reviewed movies. ''I should say I'm above reading reviews,'' he says. ''But I would be lying.'' Alas, Whedon's fond memories are also tainted by Serenity's status as a franchise nonstarter; despite Universal's best marketing efforts, the film only mustered $25 million. ''In the end, it was what it was: a tough sell,'' says Whedon, adding that it appears the Firefly saga has reached its conclusion. He has no regrets — and he's moving on. He's currently penning a Wonder Woman flick for Warner Bros., and has the thriller Goners set up at Universal; he'll direct whichever gets a green light first. Buffy's papa has more Slayerstuff in the pipeline as well: an ongoing comic book (''the eighth season we never made''), and possibly a series of DVD flicks focusing on characters like platinum bloodsucker Spike. As for Serenity, ''I have closure,'' he says. ''And now, I can have it in my home — which means that finally I can actually stop working on it.''

(Posted:12/16/05)

·
Meh.
41,225 Posts
Joss needs to move Fray from a comic book to an animated series. Keep the slayer 'verse alive. I, for one, have no interest in Wonder Woman (unless there's rampant nudity).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts