TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Menace to society
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite channel outside of the major networks (ABC, etc) and other big players like HBO, A&E, etc?

Mine is Gallery HD. It's part of the VOOM network on Dish. I love watching shows about art in HD. Watching these shows makes me want to take vacations to visit different art museums and galleries all around the world. Maybe I'll combine a museum vacation with a bbq tour (my other dream vacation). :)

·
Banned
5,065 Posts
Nasa-TV. You have to have Dish or DTV to get it, no cable system will carry it even though it is free and tax paid. It has far more than just launches, all kinds of science shows and all the current exploration as well as history shows. It is a shame so few can see it, a disgrace to our country and its dumb people. Overseas far more know about out space program than we do here and follow it.

·
Chef-In-Training
7,349 Posts
visionary said:
Nasa-TV. You have to have Dish or DTV to get it, no cable system will carry it even though it is free and tax paid. It has far more than just launches, all kinds of science shows and all the current exploration as well as history shows. It is a shame so few can see it, a disgrace to our country and its dumb people. Overseas far more know about out space program than we do here and follow it.
It's on one of teh Cox digital tiers here in Phoenix. My dad thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when he got it.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
HGTV. It's basically the default channel if there is nothing else on and I still want to have something on in the background. I must watch something like 25 hours of HGTV every week.

·
Nice to see you
11,934 Posts
visionary said:
Nasa-TV. You have to have Dish or DTV to get it, no cable system will carry it even though it is free and tax paid.
From the late '80s to at least 1997, the cable system in Tampa, Florida, carried NASA TV while space missions were underway on one of their "educational access" channels -- haven't lived there in 10 years, so I don't know if it's still available.

That said, my favorite channel no one's ever heard of is RFD-TV, because they have more train-related programming than any other network (except on days when there's a derailment, and then the news channels beat them :D ).

·
Time for a new Title
27,698 Posts
MeTV--a local independent out of Chicago. They run lots of old stuff, but I regularly watch Star Trek TOS (the new version with the updated FX) and the old Mission: Impossible series.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
doom1701 said:
MeTV--a local independent out of Chicago. They run lots of old stuff, but I regularly watch Star Trek TOS (the new version with the updated FX) and the old Mission: Impossible series.
I wish they could launch MeTV nationally. That's a great, great, great lineup they air. It's what TV Land should be airing.

·
Grey Warden Reject
4,312 Posts
trainman said:
From the late '80s to at least 1997, the cable system in Tampa, Florida, carried NASA TV while space missions were underway on one of their "educational access" channels -- haven't lived there in 10 years, so I don't know if it's still available.

That said, my favorite channel no one's ever heard of is RFD-TV, because they have more train-related programming than any other network (except on days when there's a derailment, and then the news channels beat them :D ).
To my knowledge, no public access channel in the Tampa area covers the launches as you describe here. Even if they did, I've seen local coverage of sporting events, their "HD" is terrible. I'd rather Discovery HD cover the launches or something like that. At least then you know they are being produced with high quality professional-grade equipment, which isn't alway the case in the "public access" domain.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,082 Posts
TLC/Discovery/Travel for shows like Overhaulin' and Best places to...
BBC America - The F Word, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, Graham Norton, MI-5 (Spooks) - although I never forgave them for dropping EastEnders.
HGTV - Househunters

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I thought you all meant really odd channels. If you include things like BBCA then my list expands, BBCA, Military (all the History channels) All the Discovery Channels, SF channel etc.

·
Registered Fool
112 Posts
I like to check out the RFD (Rural / Farm) channel. They have lots of "interesting" shows on trains (toy and real), and old tractors. You learn more that you ever thought you would want to know about train and tractor history.

I like the old music shows that they have. I am not a big fan of country music, but some of these shows are so old it is like a trip through a TV museum. You get to see some stars before they became famous.

I don't think you can find such a wide mixture of Blue Grass, Gospel, and Polka music on any other TV channel. Even if you don't care for those types of music, you can appreciate the skill of the performers and joy they bring to their performances.

Checkout the rfdtv web site for more details.

I watch on DirecTV channel 379.

·
Menace to society
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JETarpon said:
The weather channel is dead to me.
Me too. I used to love getting the local weather on the 8's when I had Comcast. The Dish doesn't seem to know where I live, so no local weather. :down:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I spent the extra $ to get the old OLN channel, now VERSUS, on DTV. After I saw the first live tv coverage of the America's Cup, I knew I had to watch more. And of course, they're right now doing the Tour d'France. Some of the fishing coverage, particularly Tred Barta, is off the wall also. I would also add the RFD channel for the old loco stuff. And never, NEVER, start watching the cattle or horse auctions without pushing the red thumb... if tivo selects it for wishlist recording, you can lose other stuff in 10 to 20 hour chucks as those go forever. The auctioneers on these are a riot to watch also. I find the skiing stuff on FUEL to be some pretty amazing stuff also and some of the skate boarding overseas stuff is fascinating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts