TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is going on with making space by transferring recordings which I want to keep from my Premiere onto my PC please?

It seems to be possible but Tivo Desktop insists that it cant see any recordings on my Tivo (in fact I'll bet it cant see the tivo itself!)

Searching online there are solutions dating back as far as May 2020 showing how to do this, mostly involving the need to patch something or other with a tivotogo patch, which is available nowhere? All attempts to download this patch result in mysterious ERROR 403 or 404 messages. And most online enquiries re-word my question as if I had asked how to transfer from a PC to a Tivo!

Did Tivo suddenly get involved in some copyright infringement litigation which they solved by spending millions preventing users from making space on their devices?

·
Cheesehead
11,397 Posts
I don't know if anybody uses TiVo Desktop anymore. I don't think TiVo supports it anymore.

I use kmttg (Win/Mac/Linux) to transfer files from my Bolt and Roamio Plus to PCs. Others, perhaps more, use pyTiVo Desktop (Win/Mac).

The latter supports transfers from PC back to TiVos (TE3), as does the original pytivo (Win/Mac/Linux), which is what I use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys, I wonder why internet searches ONLY throw up TivoDesktop to do this if it wont actually do it any more!

I suppose unique IPs necessarily means it snot the same PBKaC who cant get it to work, constantly downloading pyTivo desktop over and over again? (unless it is me getting sent around in circles by google's lousy search function)

·
Super Moderator
59,243 Posts
I suppose unique IPs necessarily means it snot the same PBKaC who cant get it to work, constantly downloading pyTivo desktop over and over again? (unless it is me getting sent around in circles by google's lousy search function)
Yeah I specifically filter by unique IPs because I seem to get a lot of people downloading the older versions as well as the newest. Not sure if it's because they're having trouble or are confused by the links.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it is something to do with expiring certificates and losing the space saving function took everybody by surprise? and no one knows why Tivo suddenly did this?

And I have to install some elderly version of Java Runtime to get KMTTG working?

·
Cheesehead
11,397 Posts
One minor point: I downloaded KMTTG and from the reviews it looks amazing. But how do I install it please? It doesnt seem to have any install exe, - does it install as some sort of plug in to some other program?
kmttg / Wiki / windows_installation
And I have to install some elderly version of Java Runtime to get KMTTG working?
Unfortunately, yes. Step 1 of the instructions describe how. (I'm assuming you're on Windows based on initial questions about TiVo Desktop).

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
So it is something to do with expiring certificates and losing the space saving function took everybody by surprise? and no one knows why Tivo suddenly did this?

TiVo Desktop does still work once you update the certificate and you might want to try pyTivo Desktop.

Scott

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KMTTG certainly needs some help from somewhere! I loaded java and it now doesnt give the 'no tivo on the system' error message, but all boxes are empty and there doesnt seem to be any intuitive way of getting KMTTG to see the recordings on the tivo!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry about that, I thought (wrongly) I had said, I did put in the media access key: Then it went from not being able to see any tivo device to not seeing anything on the tivo which it no longer says it cannot see!

Is seeing the tivo supposed to be automatic, at turn on? Or are you supposed to do something to show the program where to look for the drive with the MAK on it, sorta like the first time you enter your wifi network into your computer settings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.