TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
nyjklein said:
...The only somehat comparable thing currently available (and recently discontinued) is the Sony DHG-HDD250. It is a single CC 1.0 box. Only records one show at a time and depends on the less than spectacular TVGOS guide service. This box was going for $800 until very recently. Now that it's discontinued you can get it for around $600...
Actually $499 at BB and lower at some other places. I suspect they're clearing them out. I picked one up last month for that price to tide me over until TiVo ships their new Series 3 SA unit. Then it's off to eBay...

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
nyjklein said:
Well, I'd probably pay whatever they're asking ;) . But I'd like to see it at around $500-$600.
Exactly...

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
d_anders said:
This is the right sentiment.

Are the majority of you just nuts?

Given this type of reaction, I bet you anything that TiVo may offer an "early-buy" beta program for you for the luxury of paying $500-$800 for a unit, then they can offer the unit for $199 + subs for the rest of the world a month later.

If TiVo thinks they can milk out a normal early adopter marketing curve on this box, they are sadly mistaken.

If TiVo wants to succeed, they need to offer these units for almost free and then offer a $16.99 a month sub program...they will scream off the shelves.

If they offer the hardware for $500+, plus subs, forget it. They'll lose an opportunity that they are already coming late too.
Did you even read the post above yours?

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
ellinj said:
Based on the current equivalent hardware I would probably be willing to pay around $700 for a S3, not including rebate or sub. I just paid $499 for my HD Sony DVR, it only has one tuner and a crappy guide. $200 for decent software and another tuner seams reasonable to me.
I assume you mean $200 more for decent software and another tuner? I'm in the same boat as you; picked up the Sony to tide me over until TiVo releases its series 3.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
HDTiVo said:
Is there any reason to buy the Sony box IF you can rent a cable DVR while waiting for S3?
I'd have to pay upwards of 70-80 bucks more per month for the updgraded cable service, digital box rental and HD DVR rental. No thanks. Plus, I can eBay the Sony when the Series 3 comes out. I refuse to pay our lousy cable company any more than the bare minimum I am paying now.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
HDTiVo said:
OK, you are talking about recording only OTA HD.
No, I am talking about recording SD cable and SD and HD OTA.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,211 Posts
rkester said:
...I'm on a budget that requires me to save for a long time for larger items. My HDTV took me well over a year to save for and that included some lucky breaks on side jobs and great timing with xmas and my bday....
rkester -- That's us too. Our farmily budget is built on savings not debt. All of my AV and tech "toys" have been purchased with cash in hand, and I'm a firm believer that is the ONLY way to go. Early in our marriage we got into a lot of high-interest debt, so we learned the hard way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.