TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
Another spectrum rant. I decided to go with cloud dvr. I went to my local spectrum store to turn in my dvr box. They can't accept it. I have to go to UPS. Wtf?? Never when it was Time Warner was it like this. Gosh do i miss TWC.

When my promo ends I'm going back to Tivo with antenna and will be researching a new ISP. Does anyone have century link or earthlink for internet? I heard t-mobile and verizon are expanding home internet services.

I just can't pull the trigger with AT&T. I've heard too many horror stories which is what spectrum is becoming.
Wow, it takes a real amount of suck to make someone say they actually miss TWC.
LOL. Yep, being worse than TWC is pretty bad! Actually the UPS equipment turn in process is the one good thing that Spectrum implemented. I waited an hour in a Spectrum store before being told I could turn in my equipment at UPS, which took all of five minutes. UPS will give you a receipt with serial numbers and be sure to keep it. Spectrum is notorious for trying to charge you for stuff you've turned in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The UPS woman told me the same thing to keep that return sheet in case they try and say i didn't return it.

Good news (at least for me) Tmobile 5G home internet is now available in my area, $50.00 no data caps. Gonna look into that. I'm hoping i don't need tmobile cell phones for that price.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
The UPS woman told me the same thing to keep that return sheet in case they try and say i didn't return it.

Good news (at least for me) Tmobile 5G home internet is now available in my area, $50.00 no data caps. Gonna look into that. I'm hoping i don't need tmobile cell phones for that price.
I looked at this last week. I think you need AutoPay for the $50 rate but don't need cell phones on the plan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did a live chat with a sales agent. She said it's $50.00 that includes all taxes and fees. It has to be on autopay otherwise it's $55.00. No data caps (i forgot to ask if that meant no charge or if they throttle you).

Modem router combo with 2 ethernet ports.

I also asked if you need tmobile cells for that price. She said no. She did say you could pay less than $50 if you add cell phones.

Something to think about. It's our consumer actions that we take that could force companie like spectrum to get their act together and support our cable cards

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is that a permanent $10 a month off youtube tv or just the first month?

Is it true that with tmobile cell phones you get free MLBTV?

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
I did a live chat with a sales agent. She said it's $50.00 that includes all taxes and fees. It has to be on autopay otherwise it's $55.00. No data caps (i forgot to ask if that meant no charge or if they throttle you).

Modem router combo with 2 ethernet ports.

I also asked if you need tmobile cells for that price. She said no. She did say you could pay less than $50 if you add cell phones.

Something to think about. It's our consumer actions that we take that could force companie like spectrum to get their act together and support our cable cards
Here's a recent review of the T-Mobile internet that you might find interesting:
T-Mobile's 5G Home Internet: I tried it, and it tried me

Nothing, including competition, is going to make Cable TV cos want to support CableCARD. But competition definitely will make them improve the cost/performance of their internet services.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Here's a recent review of the T-Mobile internet that you might find interesting:
T-Mobile's 5G Home Internet: I tried it, and it tried me

Nothing, including competition, is going to make Cable TV cos want to support CableCARD. But competition definitely will make them improve the cost/performance of their internet services.
As an early adopter of T-mobile home internet, my experience was similar UNTIL I put a USB fan under my router. After that, the service was consistent and reliable. The only issue I still have to deal with is location services. My streaming apps think my location is hundreds of miles away from my actual location. But I've been able to work around it in most cases.

For $50, it's acceptable to me and way cheaper than the other alternatives in my area. The competition hasn't phased Spectrum in my area. It's still outrageously expensive. My T-mo internet and YTTV combined is $105/month, not much more than Spectrum charges for internet alone. I'm very glad to be rid of Spectrum and cable cards.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
……….
For $50, it's acceptable to me and way cheaper than the other alternatives in my area. The competition hasn't phased Spectrum in my area. It's still outrageously expensive. My T-mo internet and YTTV combined is $105/month, not much more than Spectrum charges for internet alone. I'm very glad to be rid of Spectrum and cable cards.
I suspect just not enough people have gone to T-Mobile in your area to scare Spectrum. In my area a FTTH provider, Metronet, has built out and I have replaced my $75/mo Spectrum 100/10 with $60.66/mo (bottom line with all taxes and fees) Metronet 200/200. Metronet seems to be getting pretty good penetration in my neighborhood at least. When I went to turn in my Spectrum modem last March the agent at the store offered me 3 years of 400 Mbps service for $40/mo. This offer has never been seen in writing or in any other form, before or since. If they had offered it **before** I had installed the Metronet service I might have been tempted. I get weekly mailings from Spectrum and nothing close to that offer is ever in them.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I suspect just not enough people have gone to T-Mobile in your area to scare Spectrum. In my area a FTTH provider, Metronet, has built out and I have replaced my $75/mo Spectrum 100/10 with $60.66/mo (bottom line with all taxes and fees) Metronet 200/200. Metronet seems to be getting pretty good penetration in my neighborhood at least. When I went to turn in my Spectrum modem last March the agent at the store offered me 3 years of 400 Mbps service for $40/mo. This offer has never been seen in writing or in any other form, before or since. If they had offered it **before** I had installed the Metronet service I might have been tempted. I get weekly mailings from Spectrum and nothing close to that offer is ever in them.
Although, I have to admit, 3 years is a great deal, what I hate about those "deals" is that the normal rate will probably be closer to $100/mo. They just want to suck you in and hope that you do nothing when the price increases.

Where I live, Comcast offers their 200M/5M for $30/mo to suck you in. When I say suck you in, I mean it. Because after one year, it is $86/mo!

Xfinity by Comcast Home Internet Review
Font Material property Number Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Would love fiber here...AT&T ran it out on the main road only 1/4 mile from me 3 years ago but as of yet hasn't deigned to bring it down into my neighborhood.

Testing T-Mobile now...it's ok...T-Mobile's recommended speed test shows ~100MBps down...WiFi weak enough that I plan to add a mesh system.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
Would love fiber here...AT&T ran it out on the main road only 1/4 mile from me 3 years ago but as of yet hasn't deigned to bring it down into my neighborhood.

Testing T-Mobile now...it's ok...T-Mobile's recommended speed test shows ~100MBps down...WiFi weak enough that I plan to add a mesh system.
Speaking of AT&T, I'm being barraged by calls from them trying to sell me something, I don't bother to even find out what. Every call comes from a different number, which prevents me from using Ooma's call blocking. Sad how what is supposedly one of our major reputable telecom corporations resorts to such sleazy tactics.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And Spectrum.....i know I'm a broken record....but just looked at my January bill. Looks much higher than i was told. I'm still being charged for a receiver (8.99) that i returned last week. And my cloud DVR is $19.99. I was told in one chat it's $5. Another $9.99. So done with company.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
Although, I have to admit, 3 years is a great deal, what I hate about those "deals" is that the normal rate will probably be closer to $100/mo. They just want to suck you in and hope that you do nothing when the price increases.
……………
This is just the standard "promotional offer" tactic which, unfortunately is used by all cable TV and internet providers, including my current favorite (Metronet). Of course Spectrum is one of the worst offenders. I don't like it but others do. I expect bargaining in a middle eastern bazar but prefer transparency in pricing most things I buy,

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have Spectrum for cable tv only as a legacy TWC customer in New England with a very old cable package. When I tried to add internet service, the rep said I would have to abandon my current cable package in order to add internet. Is that true? I was on the phone with Spectrum for ~20 minutes before they hung up on me & they did not call me back (despite having my # on file and asking for it again during the call in case we got disconnected...)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have Spectrum for cable tv only as a legacy TWC customer in New England with a very old cable package. When I tried to add internet service, the rep said I would have to abandon my current cable package in order to add internet. Is that true? I was on the phone with Spectrum for ~20 minutes before they hung up on me & they did not call me back (despite having my # on file and asking for it again during the call in case we got disconnected...)
True statement from Spectrum. This is one way they try to get you off the old package.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last post about Spectrum as I am back to internet only. I cut the cord for the last time as they no longer support cable cards. One thing to be aware is they will not prorate your bill like Time Warner Cable would do. My service is turned off but I owe the full amount for January. Effective February 1 I will be billed just for internet. I asked the guy if i could cancel Effective January 31, he said he cannot put a future date in.

Also has anyone heard about the Dish/DirectTV merger.....which basically would be AT&T merging with Dish. Less choices....just great

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Last post about Spectrum as I am back to internet only. I cut the cord for the last time as they no longer support cable cards. One thing to be aware is they will not prorate your bill like Time Warner Cable would do. My service is turned off but I owe the full amount for January. Effective February 1 I will be billed just for internet. I asked the guy if i could cancel Effective January 31, he said he cannot put a future date in.

Also has anyone heard about the Dish/DirectTV merger.....which basically would be AT&T merging with Dish. Less choices....just great
They're probably looking to merge the satellite interests (which is on the decline and new satellites are expensive). I don't expect Direct stream and Sling TV to merge nor the cell phone businesses of ATT and Dish (Boost mobile). I predict Direct TV will acquire Dish's satellite interests and Dish will invest in the 5g network they are building. That's about all the gov't will allow.
The choice train left the station long ago...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Last post about Spectrum as I am back to internet only. I cut the cord for the last time as they no longer support cable cards.
This is not true. Spectrum still fully supports CableCards for new and existing residential customers.

There has been no change whatsoever.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
This is not true. Spectrum still fully supports CableCards for new and existing residential customers.

There has been no change whatsoever.
I guess it depends on what “fully support” means. Apparently their support was not “full” enough for @brewcrewfan .

61 - 80 of 86 Posts