TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Contentious Member
208 Posts
@CinciDVR did you get anywhere with your FCC complaint?
Yes. After making the FCC complaint, I was contacted within two days by a Spectrum rep who assured me that new Spectrum plans still support cable cards in Cincinnati. With her email in hand, I went to the closest Spectrum store. The agent at the desk that I talked with first said that I wouldn't be able to use a cable card on a new plan. I showed him the email and he went to the back to talk with his supervisor. The supervisor came out and said that yes indeed I could move from my legacy TWC plan to a new Spectrum plan and keep my cable card.

The supervisor showed the agent how to enter the order into the system, and was literally getting ready to walk out the door when the agent said that he was getting an error code when he tried to submit the order. The supervisor came back and tried a couple things on the agent's terminal which didn't work, and then saved the order and moved to another terminal where he logged into his own account at which point he could submit the order. So it appears that there are user security settings that prevent regular Spectrum agents from submitting orders that include cable cards.

Edit: I also moved from 20Mbps to 200Mbps download, and got a new modem. After I self-activated the new modem, I was still getting only 20Mbps download so I called Spectrum. The agent said things looked like they were setup correctly, but sent a signal to the modem. Shortly after that I started getting 200Mbps download. So I don't know if what the agent did made the difference, or if it was just a matter of time (about 30 minutes after activating the new modem) that did it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Yes. After making the FCC complaint, I was contacted within two days by a Spectrum rep who assured me that new Spectrum plans still support cable cards in Cincinnati. With her email in hand, I went to the closest Spectrum store. The agent at the desk that I talked with first said that I wouldn't be able to use a cable card on a new plan. I showed him the email and he went to the back to talk with his supervisor. The supervisor came out and said that yes indeed I could move from my legacy TWC plan to a new Spectrum plan and keep my cable card.

The supervisor showed the agent how to enter the order into the system, and was literally getting ready to walk out the door when the agent said that he was getting an error code when he tried to submit the order. The supervisor came back and tried a couple things on the agent's terminal which didn't work, and then saved the order and moved to another terminal where he logged into his own account at which point he could submit the order. So it appears that there are user security settings that prevent regular Spectrum agents from submitting orders that include cable cards.

Edit: I also moved from 20Mbps to 200Mbps download, and got a new modem. After I self-activated the new modem, I was still getting only 20Mbps download so I called Spectrum. The agent said things looked like they were setup correctly, but sent a signal to the modem. Shortly after that I started getting 200Mbps download. So I don't know if what the agent did made the difference, or if it was just a matter of time (about 30 minutes after activating the new modem) that did it.
Typical Spectrum idiocy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Out of sheer obstinance, I decided to call the Spectrum Cablecard support # one more time yesterday. I am still planning on switching to Fios, but am in no real hurry, and at this point it's a silly badge of honor type thing that I NEED to see this all work to justify all of the time I've already spent on it. The whole letting go of the sunk costs thing is not working on this stubborn guy :). Also, I figured any info I could gather could help the next poor soul on this forum who has no option but to stick with Spectrum. I am a giver :).

Cablecard support guy Joe, who was incredibly gruff and totally unsympathetic to my tale of woe speaking to 6 or 7 previous reps and getting nowhere, DID seem to know his stuff and assured me that I can do new Spectrum TV plan + 200Mbps + cablecard. He had me verify the CC ID and Host ID and got the Tivo working with the new plan. I immediately got an email verifying that the order had been pushed through and I had been (finally) switched to the new plan. He sent a signal to the cable modem, and when it rebooted I was STILL only getting 20Mbps. He was stumped and scheduled a truck roll for Saturday afternoon. It's really unbelievable how inept this company is.

Before I let him go, I asked if he could put a note on my account, a line item on my order, SOMETHING that would clue the next rep I'll inevitably need to speak with, on to how to deal with this set up and not just blindly say CCs are not supported. He said not he couldn't do that, and said all you can do is just keep calling back until you are lucky enough to get a rep who has experience and understands how to deal with the CC on the package. He even paraphrased Forrest Gump and said "calling for support is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".

So I'll see what happens Saturday when the tech shows up to try to get me 200 Mbps internet. I seriously doubt it's a cable strength issue as the line to my house was just redone 6 months ago when the old line was accidently dug up and ruined.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
…….. The whole letting go of the sunk costs thing is not working on this stubborn guy :). …………..
LOL, sounds like someone I know (me).
………….. It's really unbelievable how inept this company is.
………………
And there we have the definitive one-line answer to this thread's topic!
Of course their ineptitude peaks for things they really don't care about (TiVo, CableCARD, Tuning Adapters).

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
But unlike your (horrendously expensive) Bosch dishwasher, YTTV is a way to get cable TV channels and an unlimited DVR at a price very competitive with cable TV and with no CableCARD or TA hassles.
Eh, I get your point: using a streaming cable TV service with built-in cloud DVR is potentially less of a hassle and/or less error-prone than using a CableCARD device with a TA on Charter. Fair enough.

But the OP clearly likes his TiVo and wants to continue using it. Given that Verizon Fios TV is an option for him, and given how TiVo-friendly that service is, that's the optimal solution for him. Not a non-TiVo/non-CableCARD solution like YTTV.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
Eh, I get your point: using a streaming cable TV service with built-in cloud DVR is potentially less of a hassle and/or less error-prone than using a CableCARD device with a TA on Charter. Fair enough.

But the OP clearly likes his TiVo and wants to continue using it. Given that Verizon Fios TV is an option for him, and given how TiVo-friendly that service is, that's the optimal solution for him. Not a non-TiVo/non-CableCARD solution like YTTV.
I agree. If I had had this Fios option available I probably would have taken it when I couldn't stand Spectrum any longer. The TiVo DVR functionality is definitely superior to YTTV's weird UI. I'm surprised that Verizon supports CableCARD so well, actually.

I still have my Roamio base model set up to record OTA. If that Fios service ever should become available here (which will never happen) I would switch to it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have Spectrum Silver in Central Florida and my Edge works just fine with a cablecard and tuning adapter
I can't find the thread about this but the tuning adapter lasted only three months this time. I don't recall when the tuning adapter started causing problems with my Roamio. I wasn't going to use one with the Edge if I found it wasn't needed. However, the cable guy hooked up the tuning adapter in such a way that I could not disconnect it myself. This meant I had to use the Edge for everything until I moved the Roamio to where it had a cable connection, which I still haven't done because eventually, most everything worked.

Last night for reasons I didn't know, two shows that were being recorded at the same time quit after a few minutes. I discovered this after several hours had passed. I restarted recording shows on the Edge, one of which was still the same show that started two hours earlier, and the other was supposed to have recorded but never even started. Both shows quit recording after a few minutes. I noticed the light on the tuning adapter was blinking, which the cable guy had said to his tech support person meant it wasn't working yet. I tried disconnecting the wires from the tuning adapter but that didn't work, but I would have had to disconnect the wire going into the Edge as well, which also wouldn't work. I unplugged the tuning adapter after several more tries recording programs, and all of a sudden the edge was recording just fine. It's hard to believe that this works if the cable goes into a machine that is off and another wire goes from that machine into the Edge, but it does.

I was told the last time I didn't need the tuning adapter. I guess if I have only the basic channels, that works.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My tuning adapter "fails" every few months (including today) and requires a power off; wait a few; plug back in and after a while I get message that TA is now connected and will work fine for a while - what a pain

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
My tuning adapter "fails" every few months (including today) and requires a power off; wait a few; plug back in and after a while I get message that TA is now connected and will work fine for a while - what a pain
They fail every few days for some people. Many have put them on timer switches to power cycle them in the wee hours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To the OP, what's the deal with spectrum??? They suck. I posted not long ago about having cable card issues. I'm glad you got yours working. I called the CC hotline 3 times, everytime tried getting them activated. I just gave up.

The streaming app is ok. The one dvr box i settled with sucks. I'm cutting the cord in the new year and am going to look for a new ISP.

I miss Time Warner Cable

·
Registered
81 Posts
I do have to say that spectrum screwed something up in my favor. I have TV select bundled with internet. i thought nfl network was not part of my package. I tuned to the nfl network on my cable box and got the standard "upgrade to watch." Today i was flipping through the guide ony app in the room and accidentally tuned to the channel....what do you know i get it.

But my point goes to what the poster said about the ineptness.....while this is in my favor, how many errors are they screwing lots of other people over

Attachments

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I do have to say that spectrum screwed something up in my favor. I have TV select bundled with internet. i thought nfl network was not part of my package. I tuned to the nfl network on my cable box and got the standard "upgrade to watch." Today i was flipping through the guide ony app in the room and accidentally tuned to the channel....what do you know i get it.

But my point goes to what the poster said about the ineptness.....while this is in my favor, how many errors are they screwing lots of other people over
Interesting. I wonder if they opened that up for today since the game was originally intended for network TV?

Just FYI... I've been on the "sports pack" for $5 a month this season. Includes NFL Network, Red Zone, and some other channels that I don't really watch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Final update on my situation in case anyone was interested. Even though I had a tech scheduled for Saturday, I had Friday afternoon off and decided to call support again. It had been over 24 hours since I last spoke with Spectrum and I was jonesing for more ;). I just knew it had to be a problem on their end with my internet speed provisioning... a truck roll was going to solve nothing. The tech support person was friendly and willing to help solve the problem. His first attempt rebooted the cable modem and when it came back I had been reduced from 20 Mbps to 0.5 Mbps. Haha, I wouldn't have thought this was even possible. After a few minutes of head scratching he did something else and voila, I had 200 Mbps. I asked him to cancel the tech for Saturday which he did.

So the moral of the story: do NOT take no for an answer when you want to switch Spectrum plans and keep the cablecard. Keep calling back until you talk to someone competent. Of course, who knows how long they actually will support the cablecards, but as of December 2021 they are.

Now, to figure out why the Hulu and YouTube apps built into the TiVo still occasionally buffer horribly.

·
Sarcasm. It's how I hug.
1,108 Posts
Now, to figure out why the Hulu and YouTube apps built into the TiVo still occasionally buffer horribly.
My experience with the apps on any of my TIVO units has been to cross fingers, hope and pray. Then go buy an Amazon Fire stick. You will be happy to relieve the stress of whether the apps will work at all.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
My experience with the apps on any of my TIVO units has been to cross fingers, hope and pray. Then go buy an Amazon Fire stick. You will be happy to relieve the stress of whether the apps will work at all.
I second this. This problem is unsolvable.

Save many hours of your time and spend $30-50 for a competent streamer from your streamer of choice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another spectrum rant. I decided to go with cloud dvr. I went to my local spectrum store to turn in my dvr box. They can't accept it. I have to go to UPS. Wtf?? Never when it was Time Warner was it like this. Gosh do i miss TWC.

When my promo ends I'm going back to Tivo with antenna and will be researching a new ISP. Does anyone have century link or earthlink for internet? I heard t-mobile and verizon are expanding home internet services.

I just can't pull the trigger with AT&T. I've heard too many horror stories which is what spectrum is becoming.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Another spectrum rant. I decided to go with cloud dvr. I went to my local spectrum store to turn in my dvr box. They can't accept it. I have to go to UPS. Wtf?? Never when it was Time Warner was it like this. Gosh do i miss TWC.
Wow, it takes a real amount of suck to make someone say they actually miss TWC.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts