TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
What I'm hoping the FCC complaint does is to get someone knowledgeable to call me. The people I was speaking to on the phone were clearly national agents. I'm hoping my complaint gets someone from Cincinnati to call me.
………………………..
I received an email from the FCC on Wednesday with a ticket # and saying that it had been served to my provider on Oct 5. It says that my provider must submit to the FCC a written response regarding the issue within 30 days. So my fingers are crossed that someone knowledgeable at Cincinnati Spectrum will be calling me soon.
You will get a pro-forma response of course. The question is whether it will be anything more than a form letter with your name and particulars filled in, or a truck roll to make a show of doing something. Yes I'm cynical but it's based on my experience with the Dayton area Spectrum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very interesting thread as this is exactly what I am now dealing with in Buffalo NY. I am on a legacy TWC plan apparently. I just called to try to upgrade my internet speed and three different reps give me the runaround of having to sign up for Spectrum plans that they claimed would NOT work with CableCards. I just invested in a nice new Tivo Roamio a couple months ago and would hate to ditch it for a junk Spectrum DVR. Honestly, if I don't get a resolution soon from Spectrum I will probably just dump them, dump the Tivo and go with Verizon Fios.

@CinciDVR did you get anywhere with your FCC complaint?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Maybe remind them that most of their own boxes in the field have a cable card inside them. I have yet to see any actual confirmation that Spectrum no longer works with cable card, only the same BS from clueless employees that we’ve heard since cable card’s inception. Nothing has changed except the force of law is no longer behind it.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Very interesting thread as this is exactly what I am now dealing with in Buffalo NY. I am on a legacy TWC plan apparently. I just called to try to upgrade my internet speed and three different reps give me the runaround of having to sign up for Spectrum plans that they claimed would NOT work with CableCards. I just invested in a nice new Tivo Roamio a couple months ago and would hate to ditch it for a junk Spectrum DVR. Honestly, if I don't get a resolution soon from Spectrum I will probably just dump them, dump the Tivo and go with Verizon Fios.

@CinciDVR did you get anywhere with your FCC complaint?
I'm on a Spectrum plan in Erie, PA, migrated from a legacy TWC plan a few years back. I'd say keep trying and keep calling. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fios offers cableCARDs for $5/mo. and TiVo works fine with Fios.
Wow. I had no idea. I hadn't looked into switching providers in years and the last time I looked, cable and OTA were the only options. I'm sure Verizon is just as sleazy to deal with as Spectrum, but at this point I am so frustrated with Spectrum that it might be time to move on and experience brand new frustrations :).

I did just trying calling the Spectrum Cablecard support # 866-532-2598. The automated greeting identified it as Cablecard support, but then it seemed to dump me into the standard automated support tree asking what I was calling about. So frustrating. Based on what I am reading here there is NO TECHNICAL REASON why I couldn't switch from an old TWC to a new Spectrum plan and keep the Cablecard. And I'm sure there is someone at Spectrum who would know how to make this happen for me, but I just have no way of getting to talk to this possibly imaginary person.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. I hadn't looked into switching providers in years and the last time I looked, cable and OTA were the only options. I'm sure Verizon is just as sleazy to deal with as Spectrum, but at this point I am so frustrated with Spectrum that it might be time to move on and experience brand new frustrations :).
In my experience, anytime you are dealing with a cableCARD, you are dealing with the pain of having it successfully paired. Within the last year, I signed up for Fios and when I ordered, there was no problem having a cableCARD installed. But, the installer did not pair it properly. Calling in to Fios cableCARD support was painful, in fact one time I was disconnected, but the person helping me called back right away. I told him, "I thought you gave up", and he said, "we don't give up." But I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's painful on Fios, and for me, Comcast too. I think I was able to pair a cableCARD successfully with Comcast's automated tool one time, but every other time it took a long time on the phone with a cableCARD CSR. So, once I get a cableCARD successfully paired, I make a backup image on a new drive right away so I can hopefully avoid the experience as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my experience, anytime you are dealing with a cableCARD, you are dealing with the pain of having it successfully paired. Within the last year, I signed up for Fios and when I ordered, there was no problem having a cableCARD installed. But, the installer did not pair it properly. Calling in to Fios cableCARD support was painful, in fact one time I was disconnected, but the person helping me called back right away. I told him, "I thought you gave up", and he said, "we don't give up." But I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's painful on Fios, and for me, Comcast too. I think I was able to pair a cableCARD successfully with Comcast's automated tool one time, but every other time it took a long time on the phone with a cableCARD CSR. So, once I get a cableCARD successfully paired, I make a backup image on a new drive right away so I can hopefully avoid the experience as much as possible. :)
Yeah, I would expect nothing less than a painful initial pairing process, but once it's paired I would think you'd have no further issues?

Also, does Fios use switched digital video and require a tuning adapter?

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Strangely, despite Spectrum’s (Dayton OH region) complete ineptness and cluelessness regarding Tuning Adapters, and disgusting behavior regarding TV packages and pricing, I have to admit they performed flawlessly when it came to pairing my CableCARD’s. I initially had two “single” cards and swapped them for a “dual” card. No problem getting any of them paired. I guess even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. :rolleyes: (It’s easy for me to joke about it now that it’s been two years since I cut cable TV.)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Based on what I've read here over the years, I'd say Verizon Fios TV is the most CableCARD/TiVo-friendly TV service in the nation. I'd probably rank Comcast as number 2.

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Based on what I've read here over the years, I'd say Verizon Fios TV is the most CableCARD/TiVo-friendly TV service in the nation. I'd probably rank Comcast as number 2.
YouTube TV has an absolutely perfect record of zero problems with CableCARD's or TA's. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Follow up: yet another awful experience with Spectrum last night. Before ditching Spectrum and going with Verizon Fios, I decided to give Spectrum one last chance. I called the cablecard support #, and although I think it just dumped me into the standard support queue, I spoke with a helpful woman who agreed with me that there is no reason I cannot switch from a legacy TWC package to a Spectrum package and keep the cablecard. Her exact words were that she helps people on Spectrum packages get Cablecards working "all the time". She signed me up to move to a Spectrum TV Select package with HBO and standard 200 Mbps internet. After a brief time putting me on hold to talk to her supervisor, she figured out how to also add the cablecard on to this new package. I was going to keep all my channels, increase internet speed by a factor of 10, and reduce my monthly bill by $20. She entered the order, I got the confirmation email, I thought I was all set.

My existing cable modem would not support these speeds, which I expected, so she told me I could pick up the new cable modem at a Spectrum store. The first one I went to did not have them in stock, and the extremely unhelpful store employee said there was no way he could check stock at the other local store 15 miles away. Drove to the other store with 15 minutes to spare before they closed, grabbed one, headed home.

Hooked up the new cable modem, called support back, and they quickly activated the new modem, I had internet, thought I was all set.

After I hung up I checked internet speed and I was still at 20 Mbps. Sigh. Called them back, got put through to internet support, and after a few minutes the guy says "oh, here's the problem... your new order did not get pushed through yet. It is not letting me push this order through, the line item for the Cable card is preventing it". At this point I was borderline ready to commit a crime. He put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said his supervisor said it is not possible to complete this order, Spectrum packages do not support Cablecards.

Took 5 minutes to calm down (a little) and called customer service back. I got what might have been the most clueless rep on their payroll, who basically started babbling incoherently "I've never seen this before, I don't know what this code means, check it again in the morning it will probably go through". It is now the morning and I still only have 20 Mbps internet.

Really not sure what to do at this point. I feel like there is a decent chance if I just keep calling back hoping to get a knowledgeable rep, they can make this happen. But at this point, I've sunk like 5 hours of my life trying to get this done.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Follow up: yet another awful experience with Spectrum last night. Before ditching Spectrum and going with Verizon Fios, I decided to give Spectrum one last chance. I called the cablecard support #, and although I think it just dumped me into the standard support queue, I spoke with a helpful woman who agreed with me that there is no reason I cannot switch from a legacy TWC package to a Spectrum package and keep the cablecard. Her exact words were that she helps people on Spectrum packages get Cablecards working "all the time". She signed me up to move to a Spectrum TV Select package with HBO and standard 200 Mbps internet. After a brief time putting me on hold to talk to her supervisor, she figured out how to also add the cablecard on to this new package. I was going to keep all my channels, increase internet speed by a factor of 10, and reduce my monthly bill by $20. She entered the order, I got the confirmation email, I thought I was all set.

My existing cable modem would not support these speeds, which I expected, so she told me I could pick up the new cable modem at a Spectrum store. The first one I went to did not have them in stock, and the extremely unhelpful store employee said there was no way he could check stock at the other local store 15 miles away. Drove to the other store with 15 minutes to spare before they closed, grabbed one, headed home.

Hooked up the new cable modem, called support back, and they quickly activated the new modem, I had internet, thought I was all set.

After I hung up I checked internet speed and I was still at 20 Mbps. Sigh. Called them back, got put through to internet support, and after a few minutes the guy says "oh, here's the problem... your new order did not get pushed through yet. It is not letting me push this order through, the line item for the Cable card is preventing it". At this point I was borderline ready to commit a crime. He put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said his supervisor said it is not possible to complete this order, Spectrum packages do not support Cablecards.

Took 5 minutes to calm down (a little) and called customer service back. I got what might have been the most clueless rep on their payroll, who basically started babbling incoherently "I've never seen this before, I don't know what this code means, check it again in the morning it will probably go through". It is now the morning and I still only have 20 Mbps internet.

Really not sure what to do at this point. I feel like there is a decent chance if I just keep calling back hoping to get a knowledgeable rep, they can make this happen. But at this point, I've sunk like 5 hours of my life trying to get this done.
I think at this point, I'd cut my losses and switch over to Fios. It's definitely not worth the hassle at this point and with no TAs on Fios, it should be far simpler than Spectrum anyways.

·
Registered
12,572 Posts

If you're in Buffalo and have the option to switch to Fios, stop what you're doing and call Fios like yesterday.

Fios works SOOOOOO much better with TiVo than Spectrum. It's night and day.

I've switched three TiVo homes (including mine) from Spectrum to Fios in Buffalo and each time it's been flawless.

Consider yourself extremely lucky to have the option of Fios and switch immediately! You won't regret leaving Spectrum at all, guaranteed.

Note: Make sure your neighborhood is eligible for both Fios tv (cable card) and internet and not just internet and YouTubeTV. You can check your address on their website to see what's available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're in Buffalo and have the option to switch to Fios, stop what you're doing and call Fios like yesterday.

Fios works SOOOOOO much better with TiVo than Spectrum. It's night and day.

I've switched three TiVo homes (including mine) from Spectrum to Fios in Buffalo and each time it's been flawless.

Consider yourself extremely lucky to have the option of Fios and switch immediately! You won't regret leaving Spectrum at all, guaranteed.

Note: Make sure your neighborhood is eligible for both Fios tv (cable card) and internet and not just internet and YouTubeTV. You can check your address on their website to see what's available.
Yeah, East Amherst. Ok, you've convinced me. Thanks cwoody222!

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
Yeah, East Amherst. Ok, you've convinced me. Thanks cwoody222!
A few pointers:

To support Fios highest speeds (depending on what you want) you may need Fios to upgrade the coax coming to your home. And if your home has never had Fios they'll have to install their ONT in your basement.

Their cable card setup is a simple mailer sent to you and you enter two codes into a self service web page.

The Fios ONT creates a Moca network in your home so if you want a TiVo mini to support other tvs in your home all you need to do is to connect them via coax. Your Roamio can connect the same way and it's very stable and reliable. No Ethernet or Wi-Fi (or Moca adapter) will be needed.

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Yes. My Bosch dishwasher also has an absolutely perfect record of zero problems with CableCARDs or TAs. But that's kind of beside the point because, like YouTube TV, it has nothing to do with either of those technologies.
But unlike your (horrendously expensive) Bosch dishwasher, YTTV is a way to get cable TV channels and an unlimited DVR at a price very competitive with cable TV and with no CableCARD or TA hassles.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts