TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· I am the me.
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there's a limit to how many DTV units you can have on an account? Does it matter whether they are dialing in or not? I've heard a lot about "connected to your land-based phone line" blah blah blah.

I've only got 5 units right now, but I'm thinking of adding more in the future. I will probably drop the land line to make room for the extra mirror fees, but I don't want to find myself suddenly in a position where DTV says, for that many units they have to dial in, to prove their in the right location, or they're not loaded with PPV's, or what not.

Are they more picky about it if you have a sports package like NFLST?

· I am the me.
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
old7 said:
no black helicopters, well so far...
are you sure? They're awfully quiet :D

I'm probably only going to get one more tivo, so I think I'm just going to hold on to the landline until the that one's activated, and then I'm going wireless.

The big thing holding me back was if the lack of a phone would be a problem if I decide to go for NFLST again this year.

· I am the me.
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's connected to a phone line, it is most certainly still dialing directv.

DirectTV tivos make two kinds of calls. One every day or few days to the number you have set up (which is an ISP, and allows a connection to Tivo over the internet. The other call is a once monthly call directly to DirecTV, just like a regular receiver, to report PPV and tattle about who knows what else.

Zippered units are prevented from dialing tivo, but if the phone is still hooked up, they will most definitely still call DirecTV. But a PPV with the remote and watch it show up on the bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.