TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BSG is one of the best new SciFi shows in a while. For me it and the 4400 fill the voids left in me when they ended X-Files and Star Trek. However, the following annoy me to no end

1) Sure we are the 13the colony so it makes sense that they look like us and share our cultural diversity. But why do they dress like we do. I hate it every time I see someone in a bad tie or a women in a power suit. At least Star Trek made the effort to try and be creative with the wardrobe of the cast. On BSG it look like they all shop at the Salvation Army.

2) Back on Caprica they drove around in a HUMMER and other old style Earth mobiles. If you have artificial gravity and all that technology why do you need an American made car?

3) On Kobal when they searched for the tomb of Athena they used a compass with a big N for north. The Earth's magnetic field is changing and cycles between the N and S poles every few thousand years. Some planets so not even have a magnetic pole. Instead of a compass just have the prop department make a little box that beeps and has lots of LEDs.

4) Bullets? You can do all these great things but you need bullets.

5) When Lee made the taped message to the fleet renouncing his father he recorded it on a run of the mill magnetic tape. Philips Electronics invented the tape and established the form factor decades ago. How is it plausible that a distant civilization invented the same technology and form factor. At least Star Trek had some futuristic devices.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
trausch said:
2) Back on Caprica they drove around in a HUMMER and other old style Earth mobiles. If you have artificial gravity and all that technology why do you need an American made car?
I know. I expected starbuck to drive a civic.

·
Konner Kringle
6,482 Posts
Some of those things are jarring, but they do prove to illustrate that the colonists are voluntarily or necessarily restricting their technology to a certain level because of potential cylon infiltration.

·
Space for Rent
1,215 Posts
whoknows55 said:
I know. I expected starbuck to drive a civic.
I can't even imagine what gas costs in that timeline. Wonder if the new Viper model qualifies for the HOV FTL lane... brb, off to relisten to the podcast for my answers!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WinBear said:
Some of those things are jarring, but they do prove to illustrate that the colonists are voluntarily or necessarily restricting their technology to a certain level because of potential cylon infiltration.
I agree. The cylons could reprogram my IPOD to kill me buy not me 1970s Sony WalkMan so I use the WalkMan. Galatica was on the verge of being retired because it was outdated and the only ships that survived the original Cylon attack where old ones that did not depend on computers so the cylons could not reprogram them.

My issue is that why would a distant civilization even have stuff that looked remotely like our stuff. And it drive me nuts whenever I see something that is clearly developed on Earth. They writers take the time to think up games that we do not have but they all dress just like my mom and dad!

·
Tivoless
1,814 Posts
Do you really HATE these things about BSG? *Hate*? I think the producers are trying to make BSG look less like Star Trek and more like a true-to-life show. So a compass looks like a compass, and a big f'n truck looks like a big f'n Hummer. The thing I don't want to see is a box with blinking lights when a compass would tell the story. Colonial Tigh said himself in a episode this season, "stop with the technobabble and tell me what's going on" or something like that. BSG is not a fashion show nor a show about gadgets.

I don't think this is a reason to HATE the show. There are, I'm sure, six million things in each episode one could point to that aren't "realistic", such as FTL and humanoid machines. That's not really the point though, is it?

·
Enjoying being a Dad
290 Posts
I get the impression that the producers are trying to focus on the characters and story rather than the technology and special effects.

That is kind of refreshing and is about a 180 from most Hollywood fare...

I'm really enjoying he show now, though I must admit that I was ready to give up on it around episode 5 or so...

·
Auteur
54,390 Posts
1) If they gave the characters outlandish futuristic or alien costumes, it would be even more jarring and even laugh inducing. Best to just modify current styles a bit to feel foreign yet familiar.

2) I somewhat agree. But remember how corny the flying motorcycles from Galactica: 1980 looked? Even though this was probably a budgetary issue, it probably served to keep a frame of reference for the viewer.

3) I didn't notice this, but your magnetic poles switching argument holds no water. It would have been better had they just used a magic box, though.

4) Eh, this doesn't bother me.

5) At first, I rolled my eyes, too. Until Lee stopped. I believe the tape was for dramatic effect. Otherwise, Lee couldn't eject it when his resolve failed. It would have been cumbersome to see him stop and sort thru the menus to erase the recording.

·
More hair, less 30lb
2,004 Posts
The thing I hate most about BSG? Only 2 Emmy noms for Special effects and no acting or writing noms. That was a bit dissapointing. IMHO, this show has some of the best ensemble acting on TV right now.

Another reason to hate the Emmy's (or any other award show, really).

·
Meh.
41,243 Posts
Heck, if I can suspend my belief for big killer robots, human-like cyborgs, spaceships and FTL technology, I don't see any problem with Starbuck driving a Hummer or Lee using a tape deck that was obsolete in 1980.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
fergiej said:
The thing I hate most about BSG? Only 2 Emmy noms for Special effects and no acting or writing noms. That was a bit dissapointing. IMHO, this show has some of the best ensemble acting on TV right now.

Another reason to hate the Emmy's (or any other award show, really).
Very much agreed. James Callis' performance as Gaius Baltar in the first season is so perfect and nuanced that his lack of nomination just astounds me. Then again, considering that the Emmys seem to focus on the high profile shows on the Big 3 (and HBO), it doesn't come as too huge of a surprise for me.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Actually, none of those things bother me. It just goes to show that they are like us, but different.

Heh, the one thing that always bothered me about Star Trek was the need to always put prothetic foreheads, noses and body markings on 'alien' so we'd know that they are humanoid, but different and to dress them up in some sort of robes so they look like the Three freakin Wise Men.

·
Registered
20,816 Posts
Yes...I think of it as The Rule of Parallel Development. The very proof that they are related to the tribe that came to Earth is the reality that they have come up with extremely similar trappings.

Or they could all have gimmicky props and silly "futuristic" costumes. You know...like the old show.

·
Fine for real
5,878 Posts
I have no problem with technical flaws in the new BSG. It seems to me that they could either have made a special effects driven show or a plot driven show. If they spent all their time on special effects, the stories would suffer.

·
Beardy
20,899 Posts
WinBear said:
How does that explain cigarettes on the show? Not to mention the absurdity of smoking on a spaceship.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I made the complaint way back when the show started about a civilization that has FTL and anti-radiation medication, but can't create their own water nor have a cure for cancer.

·
TV-MA LSV
1,546 Posts
That one really pulled me out of the moment. As someone else pointed out, I'd rather have oversights like this than script problems. I'll take a compelling story over 100% accurate effects anyday.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts