TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really starting to get annoyed with TiVo, their pricing scheme, and how they treat early adopters. According to the TiVo HD FAQ, the $500 premium I paid for my S3 got me:

"a bigger hard drive (250gb), THX Certification, front panel display and a programmable, back-lit remote control"

Furthermore, according to other posters in these forums it's still possible to transfer one's lifetime service to a newly-purchased Series 3, even though TiVo said that offer would expire months ago. Since it's apparently possible to buy an S3 for less than $800 now, I didn't *really* need to pay full price in order to transfer lifetime service.

And now they tell me that for my extra $500 I got 90GB of storage, THX certification, a marginally-useful display, and a snazzy remote?!

Granted, my S3 is supposedly built with higher-quality components, but since I already had to pay $50 to swap out my original S3 when its optical audio output failed, that argument fails to reassure me.

Thanks a lot, TiVo.

-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
briankasper said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with TiVo, their pricing scheme, and how they treat early adopters. According to the TiVo HD FAQ, the $500 premium I paid for my S3 got me:

"a bigger hard drive (250gb), THX Certification, front panel display and a programmable, back-lit remote control"

Furthermore, according to other posters in these forums it's still possible to transfer one's lifetime service to a newly-purchased Series 3, even though TiVo said that offer would expire months ago. Since it's apparently possible to buy an S3 for less than $800 now, I didn't *really* need to pay full price in order to transfer lifetime service.

And now they tell me that for my extra $500 I got 90GB of storage, THX certification, a marginally-useful display, and a snazzy remote?!

Granted, my S3 is supposedly built with higher-quality components, but since I already had to pay $50 to swap out my original S3 when its optical audio output failed, that argument fails to reassure me.

Thanks a lot, TiVo.

-B
You got about 10 months, a whole season, of Quality HDTV viewing at your convienence with the TiVo interface. I and many others don't seem to be too pissed off... I guess life is what you make of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MScottC said:
You got about 10 months, a whole season, of Quality HDTV viewing at your convienence with the TiVo interface. I and many others don't seem to be too pissed off... I guess life is what you make of it.
$500 is a lot to spend for 10 months of quality HDTV viewing, and yes, I feel that TiVo is doing S3 owners a disservice by not differentiating more between the S3's capabilities and those of the TiVo HD.

-B
 

·
Shy Guy
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
briankasper said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with TiVo, their pricing scheme, and how they treat early adopters. According to the TiVo HD FAQ, the $500 premium I paid for my S3 got me:

"a bigger hard drive (250gb), THX Certification, front panel display and a programmable, back-lit remote control"

Furthermore, according to other posters in these forums it's still possible to transfer one's lifetime service to a newly-purchased Series 3, even though TiVo said that offer would expire months ago. Since it's apparently possible to buy an S3 for less than $800 now, I didn't *really* need to pay full price in order to transfer lifetime service.

And now they tell me that for my extra $500 I got 90GB of storage, THX certification, a marginally-useful display, and a snazzy remote?!

Granted, my S3 is supposedly built with higher-quality components, but since I already had to pay $50 to swap out my original S3 when its optical audio output failed, that argument fails to reassure me.

Thanks a lot, TiVo.

-B
You don't even want to know how much I and many others $pent. So be thankful for the good deal you got on your S3.

I have no complaints, even with some difficulties and exchanges, I have no regrets, and in fact Love my S3!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I agree, you got screwed. The $800 price point was ridiculous, but as always you have to pay to play for early adoption or bleeding edge technology. I'm in for $600 so far on my S3 as I'm still awaiting the promised $200 mail-in-rebate. Assuming I get that, the extra $100 for an S3 from the father's day promo seems an appropriate premium for the OLED display and remote. What about the others? I couldn't care about the certification (I'm sure the T-HD does just as good of 5.1) and I got an MX-1 with a new HDD on the way, so that 90gb of extra space is a pittance.

Its the price of early adopting. It happens in every market. I'm sure a nice $300 cell phone will come out in a year that makes my $600 iPhone look like a ripoff, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying it.
 

·
Lord of the Rings
Joined
·
12,869 Posts
Yea, I'm annoyed too. I don't even have an HDTV yet, but I got the S3 so I could transfer my lifetime from my S1 over. The display is spiffy, but isn't necessary. I have a Harmony remote, so the backlit remote gets used on the other TiVo, but isn't necessary either. THX? Gimme a break. With the audio dropouts and video problems experienced by many of us on digital channels, whether it is the fault of TiVo or the cable companies, I'm surprised it can keep its THX certification.

I'm annoyed, but I'll live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,992 Posts
I bought my Series 3 last month, so I am a little ticked off too. But I only paid $400 after rebates, so not a big deal.

If you didn't think it was worth the money you should not have bought it.

I do agree about the lifetime transfer though - they shouldn't keep doing it when the price dropped, as that was a big incentive for many to pay a premium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
well, you also got a 2nd tuner. I think the tivo lite only has a single tuner.

Most importantly, you had a year of HD recording capability without having to suffer with the crappy Motorola boxes. That alone was worth the price for me.

By the way, early adopters of any technology pay lots of money. A brand new 386 PC cost around $4000. More recently, PS3s keep getting price drops.
 

·
Lord of the Rings
Joined
·
12,869 Posts
I understand price drops, but MANY of us were early adopters because of the lifetime transfer option. If they EVER allow lifetime transfers to TiVo HDs, I'll be supremely pissed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
You could easily recoup your investment (and more) on ebay.

Early adoption has it's price. And with Tivo that price is historically steep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Saturn said:
Nope. TiVo HD has 2 tuners. See the FAQ.
Yeah, just saw that and came back to edit. too late.

Well, the S3 comes with an HDMI cable and the tivo lite doesn't. There's $50 of value right there.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,218 Posts
This is consumer electronics guys. Some of us paid $1500 for a 30 hour standard def Lifetime TiVo back in the day. If you're the type to get upset when prices drop, don't buy electronics. I knew my $600 iPhone would be worth half that by Christmas...and I bought it anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,042 Posts
briankasper said:
$500 is a lot to spend for 10 months of quality HDTV viewing, and yes, I feel that TiVo is doing S3 owners a disservice by not differentiating more between the S3's capabilities and those of the TiVo HD.

-B
You shouldn't buy any piece of electronics ever again then. You could buy a TiVo HD, but gosh, in another year it'll be cheaper and better. So you should wait for next year's model. But when that comes out you should wait for next year's model. But when that comes out... :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,959 Posts
Since $299.99 is the MSRP, the price will probably drop within a month as retailers fight it out. You'll start to see prices like $289, then $283, then $277, etc. over the next few weeks/months.

Just like the MSRP $799.99 Series3 is selling for $577 on Amazon right now.
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
briankasper said:
$500 is a lot to spend for 10 months of quality HDTV viewing, and yes, I feel that TiVo is doing S3 owners a disservice by not differentiating more between the S3's capabilities and those of the TiVo HD.

-B
I agree, they should have really crapped up the S3 HD model.

and Dell should be putting in smaller hard drives, slower CPS and less memory instead of better stuff.

hey lets start a class action lawsuit

oh and you should rush out and get the TiVo HD right away so you can rant about that one when the next model comes along.

hope you never bought an iPod, then you wopuld really be upset :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Top