TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony B55 receiver just went bad and I need to replace it. I currenty have a stand alone Sony 3000 tivo and I use it to control the B55 with a serial cable. I am trying to decide if I should just buy another B55 or buy an HD receiver. I would like to keep the 3000 (it is paid for) controlling a receiver with the serial cable for that works really well.

Any thoughts as to my options?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the newer HD directv receiver cannot be controlled with a serial cable. I am leaning on taking the easy way out and that is to just buy another B55. Maybe someday when the HD dust settles I will make the jump.

·
Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
All Directv Receivers up to the D11 can be controlled with the Low Speed Data Cable (Similar to Serial, but different connections). The D11/12 and all HD Receivers can only be controlled with the IR Blaster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice of Direct TV to design the newer receivers so they could not be controlled by older TIVOs. At least they could make some cash by designing a converter box to handle the rs232 serial out of the TIVO and make it spit out data on a USB bus which the Directv receiver could understand and be controlled by.

Oh well...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great - thanks. However I think a guy named 4dthinker has asked if anyone has had any luck with this controlling an H20 but no one responded.

Have anyone tried this using a Sony 3000 and had it actually work on a H20??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.