TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tivo-riffic!
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200GB "Ultra Series" 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133 drive that I got for $19.99 during Black Friday last year. Still shrinkwrapped.

I kept meaning to throw it into one of my DirecTivos, but never got around to it (one had enough space already from a previous upgrade I did when I initially modified them for networking but the other one never needed it, what with MRV and all.)

I'd like to use the drive to expand this new Tivo, but wasn't sure if it would work. So, two questions:

1. Is this drive compatible with eSATA drive expansion?
2. What enclosure should I get to make it work?

·
Tivo-riffic!
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MickeS said:
The information you seek is in the very first post of the thread that blhirsch linked to, as far as I can tell.
You mean MiraclMax?

Yeah, I read the post, it does have the information. That's why I thanked him.

I think my reply has the potential to read snarkily. Unintended. I was actually genuinely thanking him. And then making a Miracle Max reference!

·
Tivo-riffic!
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drew00001 said:
Is that an IDE drive? If so, it will probably be harder to find an eSATA enclosure for. That info should be in the sticky. ;)
It's a '3.5" ATA/EIDE' drive. Ultra ATA/133. Is this a problem drive, or am I good to go with any of those listed eSATA enclosures?

·
Tivo-riffic!
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bkdtv said:
No, the enclosures listed are for SATA drives. The Series3 and TivoHD have an SATA interface (eSATA for external storage), not an ATA interface. You will need some sort of enclosure with a ATA -> SATA bridge (converter).
Grr. Well, off go to run some google searches. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.