TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolfer pointed to this in another thread
What "open Cable Products" are they referring to coming on market in 4Q 07 or 08??
from http://www.timewarnercable.com/Cincinnati/Products/Cable/CableCard_SA.html
Bold emphasis added by me
TWC tales of mystery said:
CableCARD™ FAQs
There are two types of equipment that utilize CableCARDs today:

Unidirectional Digital Cable Products (UDCP) are one-way only devices. Yada yada

Open Cable Products are two-way capable just like Time Warner Cable’s leased set top boxes and allow access to ALL of Time Warner Cable’s one-way and two-way services. We expect Open Cable Products to be available at retail in the 4Q ’07 / 1Q ’08.

We recommend that you refer to the User’s Manual that was supplied with your specific equipment to determine if it is UDCP or Open Cable compatible.

CableCARDs for both types of equipment can be activated, serviced and leased for
a monthly fee of about $2.50 per month from Time Warner Cable.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What "open Cable Products" are they referring to coming on market in 4Q 07 or 08??
The big manufacturers like panasonic, pioneer, sony, cisco (SA), etc are all developing OCHD 2.0 devices. They will be able to sell them directly to the consumers like tivo, etc.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Very interesting they basically said current cable card devices are nearly worthless on their systems but that these new mystical "Open Cable" products will do it all.

I think TiVo has said no more new product releases this year so does anyone think the current Series 3 and TiVo HD are software upgradeable to function as these new "open Cable" products will?

Thanks,

·
Registered
450 Posts
well the question is will tivo just make a new box that is OCHD 2? Their S3 and tivohd are certified for 1.0 not 2.0. It would make sense just to make a new one like the rest of the manufacturers are.

·
Miles Standish Proud
722 Posts
The photos for the CableCards offered (Scientific Atlanta and MOtorola) both seem to indicate that it is "M-Card" or Multi-Stream" as those terms are written on the cards themselves.

Here is the Motorola link.

·
Banned
5,556 Posts
atmuscarella said:
I think TiVo has said no more new product releases this year so does anyone think the current Series 3 and TiVo HD are software upgradeable to function as these new "open Cable" products will?
No.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Keep in mind that this "Open Cable" platform is, in fact, totally closed. You'll be able to buy whatever hardware you want, but the cable cartel in your area will determine what software is downloaded to your box (via OCAP).

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davecramer74 said:
The big manufacturers like panasonic, pioneer, sony, cisco (SA), etc are all developing OCHD 2.0 devices. They will be able to sell them directly to the consumers like tivo, etc.
Ok, but what specific products are these :)

are they just different cable boxes, DVRs , toasters, mini fridges, etc..?
ok I always say Google is your friend so I did and found this decent article
I bold ed the product set mentioned
http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6462497
and the products are
from article said:
Meanwhile, at least some consumer electronics companies aren't waiting for a resolution but are moving ahead with OCAP. Samsung, LG Electronics, and Panasonic have all pledged to bring OCAP–based set-top boxes and/or TVs to market. And Intel, one of the signatories to the CEA's letter opposing OCAP last fall, has had a change of heart. In June its Consumer Electronics Division announced that it would enable OCAP on Intel architecture SoCs it plans for Internet-compatible consumer electronics devices. The first CE-optimized chip is scheduled for 2008.
so another step forward but not a very big step. Al;so this OCAP (Open Cable Application Platform) is not (ETA) agreed upon as the one standard to use(/ETA) and a cable company/locale may not have it implemented for use.

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
3,302 Posts
OCAP is a standard - actually it is a whole collection of standards. And they are final and published - see CableLabs's site.

Manufacturers are already testing products that support the CC 2.0 / OCAP standards. But they're very different from the kind of products TiVo makes.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
megazone said:
OCAP is a standard - actually it is a whole collection of standards. And they are final and published - see CableLabs's site.

Manufacturers are already testing products that support the CC 2.0 / OCAP standards. But they're very different from the kind of products TiVo makes.
agreed, to be clear I meant that the cable companies and CEA have not agreed this is the standard they will employ and thus not all cable companies have standardized on using it so their head end will work with it.

I should have said something other than standard :)

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
3,302 Posts
Well, the cable companies are all committed to using it - whether the CE industry likes it or not. Basically the cable industry is moving forward with it even if the CE industry doesn't agree with the spec - the CE industry can't stop them and the FCC isn't doing anything about it.

Negotiations continue and it is possible a revised standard may emerge at some point.

·
Miles Standish Proud
722 Posts
Since I just bought my Tivo HD today at BB... ;)

I will let you guys know how the TW cards work. Hopefully they will have the M-Cards listed on their web site ready to go...

I also just bought the Sony 60A2020. I am *finally* making my transition to HD!

Now I just hope the set up and installation of this new equipment goes well...

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
pkscout said:
Keep in mind that this "Open Cable" platform is, in fact, totally closed. You'll be able to buy whatever hardware you want, but the cable cartel in your area will determine what software is downloaded to your box (via OCAP).
So for example, a DVR would have the same software no matter which brand it is?

The thing I hated about the SA8300HD I had was the SARA software, the hardware seemed fine (except it didn't do OTA, for obvious reasons). Are you saying that if these "Open Cable" products were released, my cable company could decide that all they would be allowed to use were this SARA software?

If so, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having different products...

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
MickeS said:
So for example, a DVR would have the same software no matter which brand it is?
Yup.

If so, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having different products...
Yup. Nobody seems to be able to get the FCC to call the cable cartel on this anti-competitive behavior.

The cable companies are calling it "open" because you'll be able to move your box from one cable company to the other. Of course when you get to the new cable company they will wipe the box (over the wire) and install their software. You'll probably also loose any stored recordings, but hey, it's not like you wanted them anyway, right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
dolfer said:
Since I just bought my Tivo HD today at BB... ;)

I will let you guys know how the TW cards work. Hopefully they will have the M-Cards listed on their web site ready to go...

I also just bought the Sony 60A2020. I am *finally* making my transition to HD!

Now I just hope the set up and installation of this new equipment goes well...
I live in Montgomery, and they installed the SA8300HD for me this weekend. The installer made a big deal of telling me how it was their latest and greatest. You can see the cablecard through the top of the STB and it is clearly marked multi-stream. Don't let them tell you for a second that they don't have the m-card.

I now have a TiVo HD on hold at Eastgate. I'm just scared as hell of SDV, so I haven't picked it up yet. I'd love to hear how it goes for you and whether or not you're missing any channels. The chart linked to in the OP is a frightening one.

·
Miles Standish Proud
722 Posts
joe, thanks for the info as well as the post to my blog. however, what chart are you referring to? the link you sent in the post didn't work.

i am a bit confused on this SDV thing. i am just hoping (and assuming) it will get worked out.

i will not be setting things up until some time after next weekend. i will keep you posted.

i wonder if the SA m-card is better or the motorola?

·
Miles Standish Proud
722 Posts
Zeo (or anyone who knows!),

According to the chart on the TW link, it seems like the M-Cards (or Open Cable Cards) support SDV. Wouldn't that mean a new Tivo HD with one of these M-Cards could get SDV?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
It says on the bottom of the linked page "Your personal needs are your guide to selecting the technology that works best for you." I bet they laughed long and hard when they wrote that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts