TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Tivo Hacker Level 1
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I *thought* I understood how DirecTV dishes worked, and then I talked to the installation scheduler at DirecTV.

Situation:
I currently have a standard single DirecTV tuner hooked up to a SINGLE LNB 18" dish. I will be REPLACING that tuner with a DirecTV R10, dual tuner DirecTiVo unit. The dish is circa 1998 (or before), and it has a single cable running down the side of the house. I have the regular service plus local Washington DC channels.

As I understood it, each LNB can only transmit signals from one of the 2 satellites. So if you hook 2 tuners up to a single LNB, they can fight over which controls the selection of satellite, and things don't work right.

The installation scheduler said that lots of the retailers are confused and have been telling people that they need a new dish when they don't, and that the only time you need a new dish is if you are upgrading to High Definition, and that they can solve this by just adding a multiswitch. She even "talked to her manager" about this.

Question:
Is this DirecTV rep right, and if so, what multiswitch can I use? If that is the case, I want to get it myself, rather than paying them to install it. The only reason I asked for installation (which will be $99) was because *I* won't climb on my roof where the dish is.

If the DirecTV rep is WRONG, what did I not say that might have helped her to understand?

PS: My DirecTiVo R10 just arrived from Weaknees today, right on schedule.

· Tivo Hacker Level 1
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if I have to pay to have someone climb the roof to EITHER replace the dish OR to hook an additional cable to it, then yes, I want to pay for installation. That clarifies things a lot. The lady on the phone didn't believe that I really have a Single LNB dish, and it is possible that it just looks like I do. I feel a lot better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.