TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tivo Hacker Level 1
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I *thought* I understood how DirecTV dishes worked, and then I talked to the installation scheduler at DirecTV.

Situation:
I currently have a standard single DirecTV tuner hooked up to a SINGLE LNB 18" dish. I will be REPLACING that tuner with a DirecTV R10, dual tuner DirecTiVo unit. The dish is circa 1998 (or before), and it has a single cable running down the side of the house. I have the regular service plus local Washington DC channels.

As I understood it, each LNB can only transmit signals from one of the 2 satellites. So if you hook 2 tuners up to a single LNB, they can fight over which controls the selection of satellite, and things don't work right.

The installation scheduler said that lots of the retailers are confused and have been telling people that they need a new dish when they don't, and that the only time you need a new dish is if you are upgrading to High Definition, and that they can solve this by just adding a multiswitch. She even "talked to her manager" about this.

Question:
Is this DirecTV rep right, and if so, what multiswitch can I use? If that is the case, I want to get it myself, rather than paying them to install it. The only reason I asked for installation (which will be $99) was because *I* won't climb on my roof where the dish is.

If the DirecTV rep is WRONG, what did I not say that might have helped her to understand?

PS: My DirecTiVo R10 just arrived from Weaknees today, right on schedule.

·
has gone his way...
4,421 Posts
Depends...

Circa 1996 when I first installed my first DTV dish... they had two. Single LNB and Dual LNB... outward apperance, they where identical. But there was only 1 feed available off the Single LNB...

Fast forward to today, those "Single LNBs" are rare... thus we refer to the Single LNB dishes are those with just ONE "hockey" puck on it.

So... it is possible that you will need a new dish, it is possible that you won't... Unless you climb up there, and pull the LNB section off and see if it has 1 or two feeds... you won't know for sure.

There is no multiswitch you can use, if you truely have a Single LNB dish... you have no choice but to upgrade your dish.

Sadly... Unless someone goes up there to physically pull the LNB assembly off the dish and check it out... there is not a 100% way to know for sure... unless maybe you have your original invoice with a part number on it.

If you do need a new dish... might as well go with the latest and greatest AT9 dish (5 LNBs and ready for the new SAT signals)

·
Tivo Hacker Level 1
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if I have to pay to have someone climb the roof to EITHER replace the dish OR to hook an additional cable to it, then yes, I want to pay for installation. That clarifies things a lot. The lady on the phone didn't believe that I really have a Single LNB dish, and it is possible that it just looks like I do. I feel a lot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try not to think of the dish and LNB as one item. You have a round dish and one LNB to look at one satellite. That one LNB can be a single or dual LNB on the same dish. You still only have only one dish and one LNB. You'll need an "Dual" LNB which has two cables coming off it to run a DVR that you can record two channels at once or watch one and record another off of the same satellite. You don't have to worry about more than one LNB unless you want to get signals from more than one satellite. Make sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.