TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start a Season Thread, since the episode threads don't get a lot of traction. I just now watched S4E3 upon returning from a trip, and no thread five days later. S4E1 & S4E2 have threads, and I'll link them below.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Episode Three "Annees Folles" July 10, 2022.

Another interesting episode. I'm never sure of what I'm seeing on this series (is it real, is it host, is it Clairol?), but still enjoying it. We now have Bernard playing "Dr. Strange and the MultiVerse of Westworld", with his loyal sidekick (Aside: is he human, and if so, what the heck did he do for 7 years?). And they're off to a new adventure, somewhere in the desert, chasing the circle maze.

Maeve and her sidekick get into the deepest bowels of Old Timey World, only for the MIB V3.0 to find her, and the flies to get Caleb.

Hosts vs Humans once again.

And no Dolores this week?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I liked the Ship in a Bottle aspect where they went below Roaring 20s world, but that underground area was also part of the new park.
Not the Roaring 20s. The Gilded Age was 1870-1900, so it's the same time frame as the Old West (and the original West World), just taking place in the eastern cities instead. Charlotte/Dolores basically rebuilt the park as urban rather than rural.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,692 Posts
Not the Roaring 20s. The Gilded Age was 1870-1900, so it's the same time frame as the Old West (and the original West World), just taking place in the eastern cities instead. Charlotte/Dolores basically rebuilt the park as urban rather than rural.
We watching the same show? There were automobiles and machine guns in a town called Temperance.

Sorry, that’s roaring 20s.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoilers for S4E4 "Generation Loss" 7/17/2022 follow

Excellent episode. Maybe the best of the season (so far). The time jumps are starting to make sense, and the epic struggle of the last half of the season is coming into focus. It appears Maeve still has a role to play.

I'm unclear on Dolores. Is she in the current or the future? I'm guessing since she's drawing towers that nobody recognizes, she's in the present. But why? And what's Teddy's purpose?

·
I am Groot!
64,381 Posts
I keep forgetting that Hale is actually Dolores...

I assume that Christina is in some kind of virtual reality created by Halores (to keep the sheep in line?). I saw a theory that she is a part of Dolores that's not in line with what Halores is doing and is escaping from her.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts

Excellent episode. Maybe the best of the season (so far). The time jumps are starting to make sense, and the epic struggle of the last half of the season is coming into focus. It appears Maeve still has a role to play.

I'm unclear on Dolores. Is she in the current or the future? I'm guessing since she's drawing towers that nobody recognizes, she's in the present. But why? And what's Teddy's purpose?
I just wish they'd tell us the time jumps. It's been my issue with the series from the beginning. I get they are trying to be clever, and during the first season they might not have wanted us to know they are time jumping, but now, please tell us. Still not quite sure about half of what is going on, but it's somewhat interesting so I'm sticking with it. But I do find myself on my phone at times, bored.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,692 Posts

I think the Christina is in the "future" timeline and is somehow involved in all the people that have been programmed with the black goo (which is most everyone in NYC).

She's run into a few people that are getting around the programming: there's that homeless dude that keeps mumbling about stuff, and the guy from Twelve Monkeys that jumped off the roof. I think the Twelve Monkeys dude was right: she had been programming his life for him.

I think Christina is a Dolores reprogrammed. Teddy's back, and I think he's aware of the real nature of things and trying to reach out to her and make her see reality again. It's starting to work, since she can see the tower that only a few other people like the homeless guy can see.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,135 Posts
I just wish they'd tell us the time jumps. It's been my issue with the series from the beginning. I get they are trying to be clever, and during the first season they might not have wanted us to know they are time jumping, but now, please tell us. Still not quite sure about half of what is going on, but it's somewhat interesting so I'm sticking with it. But I do find myself on my phone at times, bored.
If they were upfront about the timeframes it wouldn't be the same show and IMNSHO it would be nowhere near as good, I like a show that makes you think.

I think your last 2 sentances are directly related, this is not a show you can multitask with, if you're scrolling on the phone you're going to miss huge swaths of things happening, so yeah, it would make it difficult to know what's going on.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
If they were upfront about the timeframes it wouldn't be the same show and IMNSHO it would be nowhere near as good, I like a show that makes you think.

I think your last 2 sentances are directly related, this is not a show you can multitask with, if you're scrolling on the phone you're going to miss huge swaths of things happening, so yeah, it would make it difficult to know what's going on.
Except I find the show so boring at times and so hard to follow that my mind wanders, so I end up on my phone.

You're right, if they announced the timelines it wouldn't be the same show. It would be better. One of the problems with them NOT announcing the time jumps is often the characters look the same. Especially Maeve and Caleb. But to each their own. I like shows that I can think about, but I also don't like shows that confuse me and give me a headache. There are plenty of shows that don't. Of the current ones, The Old Man. Great show, makes me think, lots of intertwined stuff, and it has me riveted.

I've often said that I'm not really into any kind of heavy Sci Fi. Maybe that's more common in that type of genre.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't do a deep analysis of the show and I forget a lot of what has happened in earlier seasons. I didn't feel it was confusing (which is not to say that I knew exactly what was going on). Other than the explicit 7-year time jump mentioned at the start of the season, I had no reason to suspect there were any time jumps. It was a pleasant surprise to me that Bernard's scenes were actually 23 years later than Caleb's. (I'm sure some more attentive viewers figured it out.)

So no, it would not have been a better show if they had been explicit about Bernard's timeline, even for a more casual viewer like me.

·
Allan
2,692 Posts
I find the show dense and virtually impossible to follow. Too much work. I don't mind a show that wants to "keep the viewer involved", but I want to be entertained, not required to figure out every nuance of every word spoken.

·
I am Groot!
64,381 Posts
I find the show dense and virtually impossible to follow. Too much work. I don't mind a show that wants to "keep the viewer involved", but I want to be entertained, not required to figure out every nuance of every word spoken.
And yet here you are, in Season 4... ;)

·
Allan
2,692 Posts
And yet here you are, in Season 4... ;)
Yeah, there is that ;)

I'm one of those folks who, once I get through season one, do my best to stick with a series to the end. There are exceptions of course, but so far I'm keeping WW in the season pass list. Just curious to see how it ends - but certainly not enjoying it as much as I did the first season.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts