TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's all it does. The TV screen goes blank and then it starts up again.

I was told once I stopped hearing the annoying noise the fan wasn't working and it would eventually make the Roamio quit working. Is that what this is?

I saw directions for replacing the fan but I doubt that I could have done it myself. I just got an Edge, watched as many shows as I had time for, and moved some shows to there or the Bolt. Not all of them, because the WiFi didn't work, moving the cable back and forth was annoying, and without the cable I could only use the Bolt to transfer to since it had its own, and then I'd have to move shows to the Edge from there once the cable was back in.

If I had moved all the shows my Edge would have filled up too, and of course I didn't have time to watch everything. I have been deleting shows right and left lately that I hadn't double checked to make sure they were what I wanted. Sometimes listings are wrong.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is a 4-tuner, but it's designed for cable. I was hoping what I found when I opened it to take out the cable card was related to the power supply. But when the technician got there, it was in fact the cable card, despite what I was told.

I tried seeing if it wasn't plugged in securely enough. That didn't seem to change anything and I don't know what a different wall wart would be. The power strip is obviously fine because the TV works.

But the noise I hear when it comes on over and over is like a bird. It's similar to what my three desktops have sounded like when they come on.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
I tried seeing if it wasn't plugged in securely enough. That didn't seem to change anything and I don't know what a different wall wart would be.
Someone please verify my assumption that a Bolt wall wart is compatible with a Roamio Basic or OTA.

Assuming your Roamio is the one on the left at the below link, try the wall wart from your Bolt.

· Registered
8,338 Posts
I think it is a 4-tuner, but it's designed for cable. I was hoping what I found when I opened it to take out the cable card was related to the power supply. But when the technician got there, it was in fact the cable card, despite what I was told.

I tried seeing if it wasn't plugged in securely enough. That didn't seem to change anything and I don't know what a different wall wart would be. The power strip is obviously fine because the TV works.

But the noise I hear when it comes on over and over is like a bird. It's similar to what my three desktops have sounded like when they come on.
There’s no such thing as a 4 tuner only, cable only Roamio.

I’d recommend you verify the model before you go sticking new power cords into it.

· Registered
54 Posts

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sort-of / almost / ideally with an adapter.
See this discussion, posts 7-17: All Lights Flashing On TIVO Roamio
The bottom line: yes, with one of these: 5PCS 90 Degree Angle 5.5x2.1mm Male Jack to 5.5x2.5mm Female Plug Adapter
I didn't mention that this just happened one day, meaning I didn't turn it on and find this was happening. I walked in the room and the yellow light that flashes when downloading was on, along with a green light to the left of it. When I turned on the TV, that's when the "Welcome" message appeared, and then the screen went blank except for the channel number, and this kept repeating, with the lights coming on when the welcome message appeared. There was also a blue light on the left which blinked once, and green lights on the "front" which came on along with the lights I was seeing. It was always easier to keep the end where everything was plugged in facing me, even if it didn't look as good.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone please verify my assumption that a Bolt wall wart is compatible with a Roamio Basic or OTA.

Assuming your Roamio is the one on the left at the below link, try the wall wart from your Bolt.

It looks like the same one but I'll wait and make sure. I still haven't done anything because I'm afraid if it doesn't work there's no solution, and as long as there is hope, I haven't actually lost my shows.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There’s no such thing as a 4 tuner only, cable only Roamio.

I’d recommend you verify the model before you go sticking new power cords into it.
I did read here that if I repeat guided setup with an antenna it will work, but it seems to expect me to have cable.

· Registered
36 Posts
That's all it does. The TV screen goes blank and then it starts up again.

I was told once I stopped hearing the annoying noise the fan wasn't working and it would eventually make the Roamio quit working. Is that what this is?

I saw directions for replacing the fan but I doubt that I could have done it myself. I just got an Edge, watched as many shows as I had time for, and moved some shows to there or the Bolt. Not all of them, because the WiFi didn't work, moving the cable back and forth was annoying, and without the cable I could only use the Bolt to transfer to since it had its own, and then I'd have to move shows to the Edge from there once the cable was back in.

If I had moved all the shows my Edge would have filled up too, and of course I didn't have time to watch everything. I have been deleting shows right and left lately that I hadn't double checked to make sure they were what I wanted. Sometimes listings are wrong.
I just got an Edge and it also has screen going black, sometimes with audio, sometimes nothing.. happens on recorded & watching live. Think I should ask for replacement or what do I do to troubleshoot?

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got an Edge and it also has screen going black, sometimes with audio, sometimes nothing.. happens on recorded & watching live. Think I should ask for replacement or what do I do to troubleshoot?
Please don't ask me for advice.

If I tried to give you any, you'd be worse off.

I can tell you your situation is very different from mine. I can't get past "Starting Up", much less get to watching live or watching a recording.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I talked to tech support and the person seemed convinced it was a problem that could only be fixed, if even then, by weaknees. I mentioned the advice given here and she arranged to send me a free power cord. That was nice, and once it gets here, I'll see if that works. But I didn't actually tell her the Roamio was turning itself off and on. I was just telling her what was visible on the TV screen because that's what she was asking. She didn't ask about the lights, which go off before coming back on. That sounds more like a power problem, because if the hard drive failed (she used the word "corrupted") why would it turn off and then turn back on?

· Registered
4,468 Posts
I talked to tech support and the person seemed convinced it was a problem that could only be fixed, if even then, by weaknees. I mentioned the advice given here and she arranged to send me a free power cord. That was nice, and once it gets here, I'll see if that works. But I didn't actually tell her the Roamio was turning itself off and on. I was just telling her what was visible on the TV screen because that's what she was asking. She didn't ask about the lights, which go off before coming back on. That sounds more like a power problem, because if the hard drive failed (she used the word "corrupted") why would it turn off and hen turn back on?
So, what version of Roamio do you have? 4 or 6 tuner?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts