TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
He has talent?
When the song the parody artist comes on the radio and you have a difficult time telling whether it's the original or the parodist? That's talent.

When the parodist writes and records an original song that style-wise nails some of the most intricate, difficult music to play, much less write, that's talent. That said you probably don't like the artist he's paying homage to anyway.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
When the parodist writes and records an original song that style-wise nails some of the most intricate, difficult music to play, much less write, that's talent.
The first time I heard "Craigslist" which is style pastiche of The Doors, I thought "man, whoever Al got to do the keys is channeling Ray Manzarek!" And it turns out to be Ray Manzarek.

Talent recognizes talent.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
The first time I heard "Craigslist" which is style pastiche of The Doors, I thought "man, whoever Al got to do the keys is channeling Ray Manzarek!" And it turns out to be Ray Manzarek.

Talent recognizes talent.
Part of what makes him so talented is his attention to detail. He's so much more than just a guy who makes up funny words to songs. One check of YouTube for a few minutes proves that, there's a reason he's 40+ years into his career.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
There are Weird Al songs I know better than the ones they’re spoofing. And, yeah, Craigslist is great.
I've heard American Pie hundreds of times over my life, but quite often when I hear the first bit, I think of The Saga Returns. Lot's of his songs are like that. They become more ear wormy than the originals.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
He also has a really good band that has been with him for a long time. The keyboardist, Ruben, is the new guy and he has been in the band since 91. The other guys have been with him since the early 80s.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
When the song the parody artist comes on the radio and you have a difficult time telling whether it's the original or the parodist? That's talent.

When the parodist writes and records an original song that style-wise nails some of the most intricate, difficult music to play, much less write, that's talent. That said you probably don't like the artist he's paying homage to anyway.
Probably not.

Liking someone has nothing to do with their talent. I don't like Kate McKinnon in general but I can tell she's talented, and sometimes I like an individual character she does.

And some actors and musicians I like are said to not be talented.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Probably not.

Liking someone has nothing to do with their talent. I don't like Kate McKinnon in general but I can tell she's talented, and sometimes I like an individual character she does.

And some actors and musicians I like are said to not be talented.
And yet you still find that Weird Al does not have any talent? I'm confused.

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
So because of this thread, I was reading Weird Al's wiki page this evening, and came across this regarding the "Strings Attached" tour:

"The shows were generally much shorter, as under unions rules Yankovic could only perform 90 minutes per show with an orchestra"

Is there any further explenation for this? Is he only allowed to play for 90 minutes if there's an orchestra? Is the orchestra only allowed to play 90 minutes with him? Is there some sort of all powerful orchestral union that I've never heard of?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts