TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Keep in mind this is a mock biopic, more along the lines of "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" than "Walk The Line." I suspect that some of the casting is intentionally unusual.
I would guess if it was a more accurate biopic, that it wouldn't be very exciting.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It's a Fair Use defense. I've always read Yankovic's insistence on the artist blessing as a "consent on content"- the actual lyrics that Al's replacing. e.g. Al approaches James Blunt on parodying "You're Beautiful", and Blunt signs off on Al's lyrics. (Atlantic Records eventually revoked permission for "You're Pitiful")

It's a classy thing to do, and I think it keeps the work "above board" and at an Al-standard. I've heard some pop-music parodies that were crass, obnoxious and pretty awful.

Al used to parody the video when he would do the You're Pitiful song live where he would be removing shirts during it and would end with one that said Atlantic Records Sucks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
He also has a really good band that has been with him for a long time. The keyboardist, Ruben, is the new guy and he has been in the band since 91. The other guys have been with him since the early 80s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts