TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one as I've been a fan of his since he sent recordings to Dr. Demento. I don't really picture Daniel Radcliffe as Weird Al, but we'll see if he can pull it off.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
I guess he's old enough people don't see him as Harry Potter.

But this is worse.
It's not even that I see him as Harry Potter. I've seen him in other things, like Miracle Workers, so I'm past the Harry Potter stage for him. I just don't picture him physically as Weird Al. Plus, well he's British, and I haven't seen him do an American accent, so not sure how he'll do with that.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
I remember listening to him live in studio on Dr. Demento's show on KMET in Los Angeles. I had recorded a number of Dr. D's shows, but those cassettes are long gone. They would be fun to hear.
I have a couple of cassettes I recorded that I still have and I even have a rarely used tape deck hooked up to my AVR. I might have to dig those out an listen again. There's a few Dr. D entries on Amazon Music as well if you feel nostalgic.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
And the setlist is all original songs. No parodies allowed. I'm not sure he's done that before.
I like Weird Al and some of his original songs, but paying to see Weird Al NOT do his parodies (which are his most well known songs) is like going to see Springsteen and he doesn't do Born to Run or seeing The Who and they don't do Won't Get Fooled Again. Those songs are fine as an album cut, but in concert I want to see the hits, especially if I've never seen him.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
His original songs are funnier than some of his originals, and many of them are "style parodies" that sound like other artists. Not just that, but since they're comedy, hearing them performed live would only make them funnier since it's your first time hearing them. I wish I could hear Melanie for the first time again, or One More Minute, or Albequerque. Oh my god Albequerque.

I know most of his originals. My favorite is Don't Download This Song. But again, if I'm paying to see Weird All, I want to see his "greatest hits" and not his album filler. I know some of them are great songs, and I would like to see some of them. But again, it's like going to see your favorite band for the first time and not seeing the band perform it's greatest hits. You might still enjoy it, but you'd have that feeling of disappointment. Heck, I saw Springsteen during his last tour and he didn't do my favorite song, Thunder Road. But he did do all his biggest hits, so while I was disappointed in not hearing my favorite he has a TON of famous songs that made up for it and that's what I paid to see him perform.

I remember years ago, Van Morrison was famous for doing concerts and NEVER performing his big hits and the fans HATED that. But he refused, and I'm sure it cost him money.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
The originals are his greatest hits to me. You can only listen to Eat It or White and Nerdy so many times- because the originals were played to death before Al parodied them. I wouldn't be listening to Al today if it all he did was lyric parodies.

I won't bawl if I don't hear Saga Begins, Fat or Like a Surgeon. I will bawl if I don't hear Hardware Store, Craigslist or Dare to be Stupid.
It's like with any band, the die hard's greatest hits are often album cuts, but the casual fan's greatest hits are what they hear most often. More people know Eat It or The Saga Begins than Don't Download This Song or Albuquerque .

It's like saying Little Piggies is a greatest Hit and Yesterday isn't.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,429 Posts
There are Weird Al songs I know better than the ones they’re spoofing. And, yeah, Craigslist is great.
I've heard American Pie hundreds of times over my life, but quite often when I hear the first bit, I think of The Saga Returns. Lot's of his songs are like that. They become more ear wormy than the originals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts