TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
I've been a huge Weird Al fan since I was 13 years old. I've seen him probably 20 times, met him twice (in the good ol' days when you'd meet him in the parking lot or he'd come out if you waited by the stage). At one point I had a UHF poster, but you know how that goes, things tend to disappear or get destroyed across 30 years.

Anyway my point is, I'm extremely excited. Also, Roku TV is free for everyone, not just Roku subscribers. I run it on my Fire TV.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
I've got a Roku in a drawer somewhere in my house. I'll have to break that thing out and update the software on it, so that I can watch this.

My friend Jon introduced me to Weird Al. His older brother had his debut cassette and we listened to it one day. I just had to buy it and I've bought a lot of his stuff since. Even saw him in concert for his 'Dare to be Stupid' album.
You can just install the app on whatever your preferred device.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
Never saw Weird Al in person, but I always loved the music. Sometimes it seems that his music is even more iconic than the original song.

And I always secretly delight when you actually hear his version of a song played. It was how I got started - I was just listening to the radio and heard this song that was familiar, but different, and neat. I noted what the DJ said and bought the CD when I could.

I have to go and see what devices I have to stream this, I really want to watch it.

A local radio station did their own take by putting music to some of the biggest local headlines in the area which was so hilarious, and somehow I found they actually released a box set of all their songs. (They called them "Twisted Tunes" and played them mixed in with the regular playlist) and got those as well. It's a bit dated, but still funny take.

Even though I have many of his albums, I didn't object and pre-ordered the Squeeze Box complete set of all his albums. I honestly love the set. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_Box:_The_Complete_Works_of_"Weird_Al"_Yankovic

My favorite songs are Headline News (because I actually was there for the first event when it happened - I was at the school when Michael Fay was arrested and it was huge news when Clinton got involved), and Dare to be Stupid.

Of course, I have ripped all those CDs and have it all on a huge playlist that I simply enjoy looping over and over again.
Bob Rivers released so many tunes before retiring. They used to be on a single webpage to stream, but once he retired the site went down. They all got quite a bit of Dr. Demento airplay, in particular I remember Hand In A Light Socket.

That said, his songs were pretty typical of radio morning show songs, badly played and produced, and low hanging fruit that wasn't all that funny. Weird Al is in a much different league than that.

Here's a YT playlist of quite a few of them.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
I've seen Weird Al in concert four times, including with a symphony orchestra the last time -- always take the family. He's touring now and I have tickets for an October show. Weird Al is definitely worth seeing live in a mid-sized venue if possible -- when I tell friends how good he and his band are, they always respond with "really?". They are actual musicians.
That's always been the case from my experience. People can't seem to get the fact that Weird Al puts on as good a show, and sometimes a better show, than the artists he parodies. They're probably the best musicians in show business.

Think about it: they're duplicating not only the music, but in most cases the shows, that the other artists produce. Different songs, completely different styles. As Ruben Valtierra (his keyboard player & musical director) puts it, Al's show is like a broadway play every night. Not the acoustic "indulgent" shows, but the full productions. The acoustic shows lets them expand and showcase the musicianship.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
I like Weird Al and some of his original songs, but paying to see Weird Al NOT do his parodies (which are his most well known songs) is like going to see Springsteen and he doesn't do Born to Run or seeing The Who and they don't do Won't Get Fooled Again. Those songs are fine as an album cut, but in concert I want to see the hits, especially if I've never seen him.
His original songs are funnier than some of his originals, and many of them are "style parodies" that sound like other artists. Not just that, but since they're comedy, hearing them performed live would only make them funnier since it's your first time hearing them. I wish I could hear Melanie for the first time again, or One More Minute, or Albequerque. Oh my god Albequerque.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
He has talent?
When the song the parody artist comes on the radio and you have a difficult time telling whether it's the original or the parodist? That's talent.

When the parodist writes and records an original song that style-wise nails some of the most intricate, difficult music to play, much less write, that's talent. That said you probably don't like the artist he's paying homage to anyway.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
The first time I heard "Craigslist" which is style pastiche of The Doors, I thought "man, whoever Al got to do the keys is channeling Ray Manzarek!" And it turns out to be Ray Manzarek.

Talent recognizes talent.
Part of what makes him so talented is his attention to detail. He's so much more than just a guy who makes up funny words to songs. One check of YouTube for a few minutes proves that, there's a reason he's 40+ years into his career.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
Probably not.

Liking someone has nothing to do with their talent. I don't like Kate McKinnon in general but I can tell she's talented, and sometimes I like an individual character she does.

And some actors and musicians I like are said to not be talented.
And yet you still find that Weird Al does not have any talent? I'm confused.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
Who's the guy in the hat? He looks so familiar.
That's Steve Jay, Al's bass player.

The song was just a goof, they're much better than that. It's like an original piss take.

Here's a song by his guitarist, Jim "Kimo" West, who's considered one of the best slack key guitarists in the world.

Slack Key

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,088 Posts
I'm sure they're all great musicians... but when making a goof song, how about making it so you can hear the lyrics and don't want to poke your ears out with an ice pick? You can have good goof songs.
If I recall from the CD at my college radio station, it sounded fine. I'm thinking it's one of those YouTube uploads with audio all over the place because someone recorded it on a potato.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts