TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
Sometimes it seems that his music is even more iconic than the original song.
I still think everyone's going to remember his version of "I Lost on Jeopardy" in the next 50 years, rather than The Greg Kihn Band's original. I would even bet good money that Kihn's getting paid more royalties on the parody than the original work.

I'm a bigger fan of Yankovic's original songs; his style pastiches which aren't direct lyrical parodies. I vaguely knew what Talking Heads was when I first heard "Dog Eat Dog", it was a door into Heads' music that I wouldn't have normally entered.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
FWIW, Yankovic explains that while he isn't obligated to get permission from an artist to parody their works, he insists on doing so, and if they refuse, he'll move on to something else.
It's a Fair Use defense. I've always read Yankovic's insistence on the artist blessing as a "consent on content"- the actual lyrics that Al's replacing. e.g. Al approaches James Blunt on parodying "You're Beautiful", and Blunt signs off on Al's lyrics. (Atlantic Records eventually revoked permission for "You're Pitiful")

It's a classy thing to do, and I think it keeps the work "above board" and at an Al-standard. I've heard some pop-music parodies that were crass, obnoxious and pretty awful.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
when I tell friends how good he and his band are, they always respond with "really?". They are actual musicians.
That's because they assume all Al does is replace the lyrics, and they never hear the original stuff.

He's performing in OKC over Labor Day weekend. Waffling,only the crapseats are left at this point.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
And the setlist is all original songs. No parodies allowed. I'm not sure he's done that before.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
it's like going to see your favorite band for the first time and not seeing the band perform it's greatest hits.
The originals are his greatest hits to me. You can only listen to Eat It or White and Nerdy so many times- because the originals were played to death before Al parodied them. I wouldn't be listening to Al today if it all he did was lyric parodies.

I won't bawl if I don't hear Saga Begins, Fat or Like a Surgeon. I will bawl if I don't hear Hardware Store, Craigslist or Dare to be Stupid.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
When the parodist writes and records an original song that style-wise nails some of the most intricate, difficult music to play, much less write, that's talent.
The first time I heard "Craigslist" which is style pastiche of The Doors, I thought "man, whoever Al got to do the keys is channeling Ray Manzarek!" And it turns out to be Ray Manzarek.

Talent recognizes talent.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
Ah, it's not just you. It is legit hard to undestand. Instruments are burying the vocals. And it's heavily compressed too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts