TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Never saw Weird Al in person, but I always loved the music. Sometimes it seems that his music is even more iconic than the original song.

And I always secretly delight when you actually hear his version of a song played. It was how I got started - I was just listening to the radio and heard this song that was familiar, but different, and neat. I noted what the DJ said and bought the CD when I could.

I have to go and see what devices I have to stream this, I really want to watch it.

A local radio station did their own take by putting music to some of the biggest local headlines in the area which was so hilarious, and somehow I found they actually released a box set of all their songs. (They called them "Twisted Tunes" and played them mixed in with the regular playlist) and got those as well. It's a bit dated, but still funny take.

Even though I have many of his albums, I didn't object and pre-ordered the Squeeze Box complete set of all his albums. I honestly love the set. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_Box:_The_Complete_Works_of_"Weird_Al"_Yankovic

My favorite songs are Headline News (because I actually was there for the first event when it happened - I was at the school when Michael Fay was arrested and it was huge news when Clinton got involved), and Dare to be Stupid.

Of course, I have ripped all those CDs and have it all on a huge playlist that I simply enjoy looping over and over again.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
FWIW, Yankovic explains that while he isn't obligated to get permission from an artist to parody their works, he insists on doing so, and if they refuse, he'll move on to something else.
Yes, he says that a lot. He's been screwed out of a song once where the artist wanted it, but the label objected so he stopped working on the song - I think it was later released as part of Squeeze Box or something because the artist finally convinced the label to approve it.

It was also a problem during his early days. These days, artists WANT him to do a parody - it's a final sort of thing that says they've "made it". But he's only ever done one request (from Madonna - "Like a Virgin" to "Like a Surgeon") and that was because she shared the label with Al so was able to apply a little pressure that way.

Who cares if you got some music award, getting Weird Al to do a song based on yours is the ultimate exclusive award and so very few of them are handed out.

I have a DVD of Weird Al music videos - it was one where I had to learn how to rip a DVD audio track out so I could listen to it on my iPod back in the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts