TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,771 Posts
I guess he's old enough people don't see him as Harry Potter.

But this is worse.
It's not even that I see him as Harry Potter. I've seen him in other things, like Miracle Workers, so I'm past the Harry Potter stage for him. I just don't picture him physically as Weird Al. Plus, well he's British, and I haven't seen him do an American accent, so not sure how he'll do with that.

·
Nice to see you
12,130 Posts
There’s a trailer for this, DR does a great job…and I think Weird Al does a cameo as Dr Demento.
Rainn Wilson is playing Dr. Demento in the movie. I don't see Weird Al himself in the teaser trailer, but I assume he'll make it into the movie somehow. (In the fake Funny or Die trailer from years ago, he played a record company sleazeball who tells Weird Al, "Nobody wants to hear a parody song when they can hear the real thing for the same price.")

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,081 Posts
It's not even that I see him as Harry Potter. I've seen him in other things, like Miracle Workers, so I'm past the Harry Potter stage for him. I just don't picture him physically as Weird Al. Plus, well he's British, and I haven't seen him do an American accent, so not sure how he'll do with that.
Keep in mind this is a mock biopic, more along the lines of "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" than "Walk The Line." I suspect that some of the casting is intentionally unusual.

·
L: 37-35
13,307 Posts
I’ve seen Al in concert twice. He puts on a great show - looking forward to this.

·
Reticulating Splines
8,337 Posts
I remember listening to him live in studio on Dr. Demento's show on KMET in Los Angeles. I had recorded a number of Dr. D's shows, but those cassettes are long gone. They would be fun to hear.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,771 Posts
I remember listening to him live in studio on Dr. Demento's show on KMET in Los Angeles. I had recorded a number of Dr. D's shows, but those cassettes are long gone. They would be fun to hear.
I have a couple of cassettes I recorded that I still have and I even have a rarely used tape deck hooked up to my AVR. I might have to dig those out an listen again. There's a few Dr. D entries on Amazon Music as well if you feel nostalgic.

·
Reticulating Splines
8,337 Posts
I have a couple of cassettes I recorded that I still have and I even have a rarely used tape deck hooked up to my AVR. I might have to dig those out an listen again. There's a few Dr. D entries on Amazon Music as well if you feel nostalgic.
I have many of Dr. D's CDs! Somewhere... ;)

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,142 Posts
I've been a huge Weird Al fan since I was 13 years old. I've seen him probably 20 times, met him twice (in the good ol' days when you'd meet him in the parking lot or he'd come out if you waited by the stage). At one point I had a UHF poster, but you know how that goes, things tend to disappear or get destroyed across 30 years.

Anyway my point is, I'm extremely excited. Also, Roku TV is free for everyone, not just Roku subscribers. I run it on my Fire TV.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Back in the 80's I worked at Knotts Berry Farm (an amusmet park in Southern California) and was friends with a frequent contributor to the Dr. Demento Show, The Dr. would have a yearly recording/Live broadcast from the park and since my friend Vince was a part of that I got to go backstage and hang out with the folks. Got to meet and know Al, I had longish curly hair at the time and there were comments made that we looked a bit alike. Got to know the Doctor, Bill Mumy was an aquaintance through Vince as well... So much fun. I'll probably take a look at this just for nostagia's sake.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts