TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
True. It can also be indicative of threshold reception, which could indeed be helped by an amp. While the amp helping is a bit less likely, it is easier to try than dicking with or replacing an antenna. Add the amp and see if the readings improve. If not, or if they go down, you can rule out it being level-related. If they go up, that's progress, and you're set up better to make further improvements to the antenna if necessary. As you may have discovered, the tuner in the Sony is much more tolerant of marginal signals than the tuner in the HR10. The good news is that the tuner in the HR10 replacement is better than either of them, so many of our marginal reception issues may just vanish at swapout.

I am assuming you have the A10 or SXRD. It should have the same diagnostics as the 60XS955. Not only does it have a signal quality reading similar to the Tivo, it also has a S/N reading. Those two readings together are much more helpful than SQ by itself. You need a minimum of a +15 S/N. I have found that at +19 I was still having occasional dropouts on some channels. Raising that to +26 made a world of difference (added an amp and FM trap, did not touch the antenna).

If you have variable gain (or can simulate that with a variable attenuator placed after the amp) you can peak for the perfect signal level (there is a point of diminishing returns). You may need to do this for each channel to get an idea exactly what you are dealing with, but the best approach is to do it just for the worst offender, and only modify that setting if if causes degradation to another channel or channels.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.