TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
This may be premature, but I have serious OTA signal issues with my HDTivo, too.. My antenna is a silver sensor (wired up to the second floor office) and I get about 90 signal strength without multipath fluctuations. (I gather the silver sensor is reasonably directional-- it's sorta yagi-shaped) However, during some broadcasts, the dropouts are unbearable. Not only do the number of dropouts make the wife pissed, but the WAIT after a dropout is terrible.. Rarely does it miss much data, but it stutters terribly, and just seems to "lose it's mind" for up to 10 seconds before continuing, having missed only like 1 second of actual program data...

I've ordered a channel master 4221 to see if that helps at all. My #s for the "big 4" are all near 90 with almost no fluctuation, so this is a bit confusing.. No buildings near me, and I have it on the second floor, so it shouldn't have any multipath issues at all!

Does the HDTivo's OTA tunner just plain suck?

Cory

·
Registered
90 Posts
jcricket said:
A) This sounds more like a hard drive going bad (unless it only happens on the OTA channels.
B) Yes, the OTA tuner sucks on the HR10-250. Others with standalone HD tuners (either the H10 or a built-in ATSC tuner) based on the more recent "chip sets" have a lot better luck with any marginal signals. Given you statement about "90" (which is very high for signal quality) it makes me suspicious that you're having some other kind of problem (not unheard of).
Yeah, It's bizarre. Definitely OTA only.. it's a reception issue, not a playback issue.. When it happens it happens A LOT. Keep in mind, I have never actually been able to switch over from a program having major problems to check the signal at that time.

Now, I am near a naval base, so it's very possible that it's related. AWACS planes fly around, so that could be screwing with UHF... Hell, maybe the aircraft carriers are in my line of sight, and sometimes their blocking the way like big buildings would... That would explain the random behavior... Maybe I have a "moving multipath" issue.. :)

Some shows seem especially vulnerable. Desperate housewives (9pm et Sundays ABC) was especially bad.. Alias (9 pm thursdays ABC) also had problems fairly consistently.. Lost, (9pm wed. ABC) is usually just fine...

Before this weeks episode of desperate housewives, I super fine tuned the antenna specifically for my ABC affiliate, got it up to 92, and that seems to have helped. I'm pretty sure there were no issues at all during this episode.

Now, this is not limited to ABC, or I would start to wonder about the affiliate. I have problems on my CBS affiliate as well-- same thing, some times it's perfect, other times it's like dense cloud cover on satellite-- unwatchable.

Again, hopefully the CM4221 will help. I'm within 13 miles of the transmitters and they are all within a 3 degree range, so hopefully this will work itself out...

Cory

·
Registered
90 Posts
Actually, I may have figured it out.

Getting "great" signal, with no apparent multipath made me wonder.. maybe something IS getting between me & the towers intermittently. Here's a pic of my (estimated) LOS to the towers-- it shows 2 major things-- 1) direct path of landing/taking off aircraft from the base (I believe the AWACS take off there, although we dont get major traffic "touch and gos" like other bases...)

That wouldn't explain the sheer volume of issues.. but futher down, there's a place where ships are loaded/unloaded in the Norfolk terminals.. A huge cargo ship could literally come into port and block my line of sight-- is a 10-14 story building 3 miles away enough to give multipath issues?

It would explain, however, why a show can seem to be going fine and then all of a sudden, it becomes unwatchable-- a ship comes in?

Hmm...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.