TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my HR10-250 today. I noticed on 2 of my 5 local HD OTA channels when "decoded" by the Tivo box, the signal is to low to retain a constant signal (actually, it goes back and forth from 80+ signal strength, back to 10, then back to 80+ ... seemingly randomly on both OTA tuners). On my new HD sony 50' LCD projection (which has it's own HDTV tuner), all 5 local channels come in great.

Has anybody else experienced this? Via process of elimination, I have ruled out a bad connection.

Would it be advised that I get an antenna high gain signal amplifier?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have positioned my antenna to get the best all around reception for the major network stations.

Here are the diagnostics from my sony TV (not SRX version) on the OTA channels:

Channel Network Sig Strength SNR
3.1 CBS 95 30
9.1 ABC 98 32
18.1 FOX 98 31
26.1 NBC 95 30

All 4 of these channels come in perfectly when decoded from my TV ... but when decoded by the Tivo, the signal strength on two of the stations won't hold as described above. Should I be experiencing this with this diagnostic information? (wich from what I've read on this board, is pretty good). Is it possible that there is someting wrong with the tuner in my tivo?

I tried a signal amplifier with an FM trap, and the only thing it did was lower the AGC % on every channel (which by the way, I'm not sure if that's good of bad as I don't know what gamma correction is).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try the attenuator this evening (hopefully) and see what I get.

The following is just some more diagnostic information (just in case it might help and at a minimun, just add it to the "archive")...

Network Orientation Miles Frequency

3.1 239 24.2 23
9.1 169 22.9 34
18.1 170 22.4 27
36.1 235 24.2 22

I have a radio shack 80" 32-Element Antenna (model VU-90 XR) assembled in my attic (2 story house). I live in Mooresville NC (28117) ... which is about 20 miles north of Charlotte. I have my antenna pointed due south at 180 degrees (which through trial and error appears to be the best placement for all around channel reception).

Too bad FOX and CBS don't have the same orientation (the 2 locals that I care most about) ... cause I'd be willing to point the antenna directly at these stations and "sacrafice" the other two, just so that I could Tivo some of my favorite programming in HD...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Variable attenuator failed. My next attempted option is to switch to two directional antennas (one pointed and 170 and the other at 237), but first, I'm going to figure out how to set such a thing up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.