TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few things have to happen first.

1) Your 1 year contract with DirecTV must be up, or almost up.
2) You can't have already recieved your $49 directivo. In other words, you're still scheduled.

Call up direcTV and ask when your 1 year contract is up. Somehow let it slip that you're considering switching to the D*SH network because of their 2HD reciever and 2 DVR reciever for free with 1 year contract plan. It's on VCMs website. They'll then try to keep you as their customer and make you a counter offer.

If you get switched over to their retention department, thats fine. They're there to retain you as a customer.

The best I could get is the rest of my $49 tivo and the 14.99 handling fee credited to my account, But I think in the other big thread about the $49 deal, someone said they got a second tivo for free.

See what you can get.

If you've already recieved your TiVo, then theres nothing you can do. Your bound to their 1 year contract. But if you haven't gotten it installed yet, then you can threaten to cancell and goto D*SH.

Of course, we'd never go away from TiVo, but they don't know that ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
I got my Tivo (2nd one, got the first one in September) just a couple weeks ago for $15. I didn't have to threaten to cancel or anything. I just asked the CSR if he could give me a better deal than the current $49. He put me on hold, came back, and said he could do it for $15. I would have bought it for $49 too, but I was just feeling adventurous that day and decided to try my luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by Jerw134
I got my Tivo (2nd one, got the first one in September) just a couple weeks ago for $15. I didn't have to threaten to cancel or anything. I just asked the CSR if he could give me a better deal than the current $49. He put me on hold, came back, and said he could do it for $15. I would have bought it for $49 too, but I was just feeling adventurous that day and decided to try my luck.
did you call Directv or customer retention dept? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by Jerw134
Just called DirecTV at 800-531-5000 and used option 4 for equipment orders.
no go, the lady said since I had one installed in Oct. not allowed to have another one till after 6 months:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by Jerw134
That's weird. They allowed me to have one, and it's only been 4 months.
I'll call again and let you know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Apparently my memory is faulty. I just looked back, and I ordered it on June 8th. So when I ordered this second one, I was just barely out of the 6 month period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
I tried earlier and the CSR couldn't find any evidence of a promotion allowing for a $15 TiVo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
There is only one promotion - $49 + S&H and that is what the regular CSRs are supposed to offer to subscribers who are still within their commitment period.

Retention has an budget for credits that can be used to encourage subscribers whose commitment has expired (or for whom the pro-rated penalty is less than their monthly payment) to stay with DirecTV.
 

·
Who Needs Live TV
Joined
·
101 Posts
Hehe...I already did this and funny thing is ....I didn't even know about this post....I did it almost EXACTLY the same way the post says....

I even had the CSR going with me to the Dish site and checking their contract agreement word for word and pointing out to me the loopholes in it...Finally I said it was just too good a deal and she said she would give me the Tivo for free PLUS a 4.99 Credit on my account for 6 months...hehe...

So basically I got $50 bucks and $30 bucks...Yep...they want to keep people allright...
 

·
Good Times
Joined
·
353 Posts
Originally posted by iamcrazy033
A few things have to happen first.

1) Your 1 year contract with DirecTV must be up, or almost up.
2) You can't have already recieved your $49 directivo. In other words, you're still scheduled.

Call up direcTV and ask when your 1 year contract is up. Somehow let it slip that you're considering switching to the D*SH network because of their 2HD reciever and 2 DVR reciever for free with 1 year contract plan. It's on VCMs website. They'll then try to keep you as their customer and make you a counter offer.

If you get switched over to their retention department, thats fine. They're there to retain you as a customer.

The best I could get is the rest of my $49 tivo and the 14.99 handling fee credited to my account, But I think in the other big thread about the $49 deal, someone said they got a second tivo for free.

See what you can get.

If you've already recieved your TiVo, then theres nothing you can do. Your bound to their 1 year contract. But if you haven't gotten it installed yet, then you can threaten to cancell and goto D*SH.

Of course, we'd never go away from TiVo, but they don't know that ;)
Just curious...What are you going to do when you do this and one of these times they just say, okay have a good day your account will disconnect at midnight?
 

·
SCOOBYDOOBIE DO TIVO
Joined
·
323 Posts
Originally posted by Paulson
We got ours for free because DirecTV forgot to bill us.

It's been about 5 months now... :)
Thank you for telling us. We should be billing you shortly. Sorry for the oversight.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
Just curious...What are you going to do when you do this and one of these times they just say, okay have a good day your account will disconnect at midnight?
That is what will happen to me the day I try this.
 

·
SCOOBYDOOBIE DO TIVO
Joined
·
323 Posts
A Csr said to me that you are entitled to a free DirectiVo every 6 months. If you ask before you may get lucky. But OY what a deal! I hope to have the max tivos you can have on an account soon. Btw anyone want a replay I have grown tired of it now that i am used to the 30 second skip.
 

·
Who Needs Live TV
Joined
·
101 Posts
Originally posted by John Ross
Btw anyone want a replay I have grown tired of it now that i am used to the 30 second skip.
Hell if it's free I'll take it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I called DTV and gave them the switch story and was offered my 2nd tivo for free with the shipping credited so the total was $0 for the whole thing. I just got my last tivo in a month ago but I paid $99 for it so I think that is why they had no problem giving me the 2nd one for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Originally posted by John Ross
A Csr said to me that you are entitled to a free DirectiVo every 6 months. If you ask before you may get lucky. But OY what a deal!
If that really is what the CSR said, he was wrong. No one is "entitled" to a free DirecTiVo. Subscribers are eligible for some sort of retention concession when there is less than 6 months remaining in their committment. The closer you are to expiration (or if there is no committment), the larger the concession.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They wont disconnect your service either. As long as they have a chance at making money, why would they cut you off? :p

It really all depends on how convincing you are. If you say stuff like "I like sunday ticket, and direct TV's service, and I really want to stay but this deal looks better" then the CSR might see through your story and notice that you really want to stay but are fishing for a deal. I think thats what happened to me.

But if you get a newb CSR and are convincing, they'll give you their first born.
 
1 - 20 of 420 Posts
Top