TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed an upgrade of my OEM TiVo Roamio OTA Hard Drive with a Western Digital WD80EZZX 8TB using the MFS Reformatter Version 1.0.0.4 - worked like a charm.

I have always put my TiVo into standby before going to bed as that kills the front lights while I sleep. What happens now when I turn the TiVo on is that the blue screen flashes "waking up" and then shortly after reboots as if it had been unplugged from power. Everything works fine after that, no issues to report at all.

I listened closely to the new hard drive before waking up the TiVo and it sounds like it is coming out of sleep mode as I can hear it start to spin up when I press the TiVo button on the remote. While it starts to spin up during the "waking up" screen displaying, it reboots.

Not sure if this is because the spin-up is taking too long and the TiVo times out or if this is another issue with using a hard drive of this size.

If anyone else has experienced this type of behavior, I would appreciate any feedback. I guess for now I can just leave it on.

BTW - I have my power saving mode set to Off.

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Did you mean WD80EFZX? I haven't heard of any similar issues, but it's possible.

I keep power saving mode set to off and never put my Roamios to sleep (I want those drives spinning 24/7), so I don't have any personal experience to offer. In my testing I didn't notice any real spin-up time difference between any of the Red or AV Greens, but anything's possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you mean WD80EFZX?
No it's the WD80EZZX that was liberated from the My Book ( WD My Book 8TB - 5400rpm WD80EZZX with Benchmarks ). I was able to pick it up for $190 on jet.com, so I thought at that price point I would give it a shot if it was just a rebadged WD Red 8TB as alluded to in the link above.

Anyway what I'm finding is that the only time it has a problem during the "waking up..." screen is if there are no recordings going on. When it is in standby, all the recordings are beginning on time, so it doesn't appear to reboot when it wakes to record shows while in standby either. There seems to be a delay from when the TiVo button is pressed and the drive spinning up when coming out of standby, so that is why I thought the TiVo may be rebooting as it "times out" waiting on the drive. I actually had one time today when the drive spun up and it did not reboot, but that just happened once, so not sure if that is an exception.

Z

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually had one time today when the drive spun up and it did not reboot, but that just happened once, so not sure if that is an exception.
So this ended up not being an exception, but rather a clue. It turns out if I had pressed the TiVo button on the remote and then pressed the TV power button on the remote, it caused the TiVo not to reboot under the one scenario described above.

So what I'm seeing is that there is a "time-out" happening when the drive spins up that causes the TiVo to reboot when displaying the "Waking Up.." screen. By pressing another button on the remote, it appears to clear that "time-out" giving the hard drive enough time to spin-up and the TiVo to get to the main screen without rebooting.

So this is something I can live with by pressing the TiVo button first and then any other button on the remote after. So if anyone is considering liberating the WD80EZZX from the My Book 8TB external drive, I can confirm it works with the one small issue when "waking up.." from standby. This is easily overcome by interrupting the time-out by pressing another key on the remote.

Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.