TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got an exclusive first look at the new TiVo Series 3 DVR. We talked with Bob Poni about the unit. Check out the video here . We will have a downloadable version available soon! :)

Enjoy!

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
now that was cool. Straight from TiVoPony's mouth to our ear.

now it is all speculation on the ship time
but elsewhere on the board someone said the box was already at Cable labs for certification.
Megazone (who got a shout out from Bob) has been posting the series 3 "is ready to go into testing"
and TiVo knows better than us the unit has to come out ASAP and the new CEO is one for getting things done.

So I disagree with your written comment on shipping slipping back to 2007 and still go with Bob's repeated "second half of 2006" timeframe.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,967 Posts
What disturbs me about this is the price range quoted in the story, not the video ($800 to $1,200)....that will be prohibitive, I believe for many folks. But I assume that is pure speculation and not based on any "unofficial" comments from TiVo folks. I'm still holding out hope it's more in the $500 to $800 range.

·
Fanboi.. So what?
938 Posts
I noticed the box was VERY responsive.. it's got some horsepower in there.

Intel Inside (tm) ?

·
Let em' Roll
1,174 Posts
drusoicy said:
We got an exclusive first look at the new TiVo Series 3 DVR. We talked with Bob Poni about the unit. Check out the video here . We will have a downloadable version available soon! :)

Enjoy!
Hey .. I met you guys on the line for the Google KeyNote. Glad you made it to TiVo's booth.

-Roll

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
lajohn27 said:
I noticed the box was VERY responsive.. it's got some horsepower in there.
yah that GRID guide just popped right up :up: :up: course it was only recording at the time

·
Bagel Man
540 Posts
I thought it was funny that the LED didn't actually work. The show titles displayed were not the shows actually being recorded.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
mbalgeman said:
I thought it was funny that the LED didn't actually work. The show titles displayed were not the shows actually being recorded.
I though at first it had the wrong Guide data in it so the channels were all screwed up. But then on the grid guide Bob found Football and it was Football.

·
Let em' Roll
1,174 Posts
drusoicy said:
Really?? Which one were you? :)
5'5" glasses, balding. We discussed (of all things) TiVo. You gave me your card. You were considering leaving the line and wondered why not since you had an assigned seat anyway. In the end, you did not leave.

I tend to remember everyone I meet (at least vaguely).

-Roll

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cool video.

Series 3 looks like it will be a sweet piece of hardware. I too am hoping for a $500-$800 price range at launch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the impressions I got, this one will be more than $500 - although they didn't say anything official about that. The box is very responsive, and the new remote is greatly improved over the current one. headroll, I certainly remember you ;)

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the TiVo that I can answer for you.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
mbalgeman said:
The unconnected model that megazone photographed had the same readout, so I'd guess that it is a feature of the pre-alpha software. I suppose when you haven't finalized your hardware it is crazy to add bells and whistles to your software. Box did seem to work, and work well. And, of course, the readout would be correct if those were the shows you were recording... ;)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
drusoicy said:
Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the TiVo that I can answer for you.
Were you able to try out any of the DVR functions: playback recordings, pause, rewind, FF, etc.? If so, was the box response always as peppy as we saw?

TIA, and thanks for making the video and putting it online.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, we did all the normal "TiVo stuff." Other publications weren't able to actually go hands-on with the remote, but we were. It worked great, and LOOKED great on the widescreen display even.

·
Banned
4,721 Posts
The DIRECTV/HDTV/TiVo was $1000 when it was released.

I'm guessing the Series3 will be $1000 or more when it is released.

Why do people think it'll be $500-$800. Dreaming ??

The price range quoted in the story was $800-$1200.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts