TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I would post it even after reading all the threads (they really don't verify a particular cable).
After messing at Fry's Electronics with the "L" type and then proper- but too short connector "I" type. I found one that works with my Free Agent Pro at Microcenter:

QVS part # SATA2E-2M. $24.99.

Also, make sure you get an "external", not "internal" cable with the Seagate unit.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just picked up an external drive for my S3 from Costco yesterday, and had a heck of a time finding a cable locally.

Thanks to tips in some other threads, I just trimmed some of the rubber around the base of the connectors, and it worked perfectly!

When I lived near Vegas, QVS was local to me - man I miss running over there and getting just about any cable I needed at a moments notice....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gweempose said:
I'm amazed by just how hard these cables are to come by. Fortunately, I live right down the street from CDW, and they had the Tripp Lite in stock. :)
It does seem Crazy that Best Buy etc. carry the Free Agent Pro drives, the SATA II cable isn't included in the box (only USB) and the stores don't even carry one!!!!

On wonder Tivo doesn't "authorize" the use of the SATA expanded drive - they would have a million cable problem phone calls to deal with.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That70sGAdawg said:
On wonder Tivo doesn't "authorize" the use of the SATA expanded drive - they would have a million cable problem phone calls to deal with.
Tivo should just make available a reasonably priced eSATA II cable and be done with it. I had to go to a mom and pop computer store 20 miles from my house just to get an eSATA cable - and then I had to hack it (thanks to pictures and tips in this forum) to get it to work reliably because it was an eSATA I instead of an eSATA II cable!

That's what Apple did with the AppleTV and HDMI cables - ironically, one of the best places to get a good HDMI cable at a good price is your local Apple store - even if you don't have an Apple TV (or a Mac).

What really frosts me is 1) the markup on cables is outrageous (i.e. lots of profit) and 2) they take up hardly any space at all. Why more stores can't stock them is beyond me...

·
Registered
23,397 Posts
That70sGAdawg said:
I thought that I would post it even after reading all the threads (they really don't verify a particular cable).
After messing at Fry's Electronics with the "L" type and then proper- but too short connector "I" type. I found one that works with my Free Agent Pro at Microcenter:

QVS part # SATA2E-2M. $24.99.

Also, make sure you get an "external", not "internal" cable with the Seagate unit.
Wow $24.99?

The cable that came with my Apricorn external enclosure works like a charm.
The entire enclosure is $24.99 after rebate: LINK

Just something to consider since they are the exact same price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.